Menu

X-Post Need something more challenging for writing for second grade

I wasn't finding much advice in k-8 for my 7 yr old DS so I thought I'd try here. I have no idea if he's gifted and I really just try to tailor his education to fit a classic curriculum, extras that interest him and go from there. The following are my posts about this. It's a lot for LA and I know ELTL is similar to FLL/WWE but he does it all in about 20 minutes so I haven't felt any need to choose between them.

For 1st Grade we used FLL1, WWE1 and ELTL1 and I'm planning on using the 2nd level of all 3. I know that covers the basics of LA, like copywork and grammar. He's going to continue with AAS. He also did MP reading comprehension questions last year but hated them so I'm planning on adding in a couple of VP Lit guides that match up with ELTL2 (Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland). Unfortunately the first book in ELTL2 is The Wonderful Wizard of Oz which I can't find any guides for. He also did the Aesop's Fables Series by RFP which was a fun addition with writing and some creative writing exercises. I want to add something more for writing but I don't know what. He doesn't match up well with the levels I've found for BW and I was considering one of their classes but we are going to be gone for a few weeks in the fall so that's probably not going to work now. He's a strong reader and speller and likes to write his own stories. What should I add?

I know AAS, WWE, FLL, and ELTL cover LA but I want something with more writing since he needs more of a challenge. I like what I can see in the sample of VP lit guides for writing and creative thinking. I know I don't need anything more for LA or reading comprehension but I want something that will challenge him to think or create more since he enjoys writing and without something like MP or RFP it's actually going to be less writing this year. JID looks too basic for him. He doesn't seem to fit well in the BW products which is why I was thinking of doing one of the classes perhaps after our trip. If that makes sense, anything else to consider?

How about NaNoWriMo? You can either do it for just November or turn it into a much larger-scale project. DD has participated in their Young Writer's Program since she was 4yo and loves it. This year, we'll spend much of October using their free workbook to coach her through character and story development, then she'll write for 30 minutes every school day in November, then spend some of December editing and illustrating.

The best part for us is that it doesn't really have "levels", and in the YWP you choose your own word count goal, so it's completely customizable!

I wasn't finding much advice in k-8 for my 7 yr old DS so I thought I'd try here. I have no idea if he's gifted and I really just try to tailor his education to fit a classic curriculum, extras that interest him and go from there. The following are my posts about this. It's a lot for LA and I know ELTL is similar to FLL/WWE but he does it all in about 20 minutes so I haven't felt any need to choose between them.

For 1st Grade we used FLL1, WWE1 and ELTL1 and I'm planning on using the 2nd level of all 3. I know that covers the basics of LA, like copywork and grammar. He's going to continue with AAS. He also did MP reading comprehension questions last year but hated them so I'm planning on adding in a couple of VP Lit guides that match up with ELTL2 (Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland). Unfortunately the first book in ELTL2 is The Wonderful Wizard of Oz which I can't find any guides for. He also did the Aesop's Fables Series by RFP which was a fun addition with writing and some creative writing exercises. I want to add something more for writing but I don't know what. He doesn't match up well with the levels I've found for BW and I was considering one of their classes but we are going to be gone for a few weeks in the fall so that's probably not going to work now. He's a strong reader and speller and likes to write his own stories. What should I add?

I know AAS, WWE, FLL, and ELTL cover LA but I want something with more writing since he needs more of a challenge. I like what I can see in the sample of VP lit guides for writing and creative thinking. I know I don't need anything more for LA or reading comprehension but I want something that will challenge him to think or create more since he enjoys writing and without something like MP or RFP it's actually going to be less writing this year. JID looks too basic for him. He doesn't seem to fit well in the BW products which is why I was thinking of doing one of the classes perhaps after our trip. If that makes sense, anything else to consider?

My kids never match well either.  That said, your DS could probably do Partnership Writing.  It can be modified very easily to meet wherever he is output wise.  Jot it Down is very young, I used it for first grade and wouldn't use it again this year for second.  I already own Partnership, so i'm just going to modify the projects to make them work.  Just a thought. :)