Menu

Well Trained Bodies (Diet & Exercise) - Aug. 2017

Granny_Weatherwax

Scoutermom, it sounds like the ladies are lucky to have you. I think this going to he a great experience for you. Fantastic that you had some weight loss I hope it is a morale boost.

I did not sprint yesterday. My day was crazy busy. I am starting a co-op and it was a full day. I also forgot snacks and my water bottle too, not that I had much time for them. My period is starting bleh. Hoping to do some kettlebell and sprints today, we will see if i can convince myself, I just want to be lazy.

• Like 5

Finished upper body strength and stretching. Off to the grocery store to get dinner items, then will fix dinner then do cardio while it's cooking. 

ETA  cardio 45 min walking with 22.5 min of jogging intervals embedded. lower body stretches. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 4

I've been a bit of a slacker lately, and I really have to kick it into high gear this week.  Can someone give me the kick in the rear that I need to get going?   :D  Hit me with your best motivation techniques!

Me, too! I've been eating way too many treats this summer and just couldn't get motivated to stop. Then I was at the gym last week. My trainer has had me doing a lot of glute work and thought I should have noticed some gains there - so he asked if my pants were starting to feel tight and I said my pants had been tight for months, but it was the treats, not the gym. 

It was at that point that I realized that there is no point working out as hard as I do if I can't actually enjoy the gains. So, no more stupid sugar. This only happened Friday morning, so it's only been a few days, but I really want to kick the sugar habit. I felt so great last summer and fall when I wasn't eating sugar and I'd like to get back to that. But, it's awfully hard and I have to pay a lot of attention to how important it is to not have any right now. 

On the exercise front things are going well. I'm at the gym two days a week. I'm getting closer to doing actual chin-ups. This week I was doing them with my knee in a band. I can deadlift 155 lbs. I definitely feel stronger.

I'm still running with my training group. We did 19.5 km on Sunday and I ran 7 km on my own today. 

• Like 4

Started my period, felt super icky and crabby. Starting to bounce back today. Hope to get in my workout although I expect it won't be as strong as usual. I had the munchies Sat but was back to (mostly) normal yesterday. Still haven't got to do any family activities for the 3rd weekend. 1st was friends party all weekend, then last we had plumbing issues, this weekend dh is still working on the plumbing (it has turned into this huge ordeal and is still not done. I am still out a bathroom.

Edited by soror
  • Like 3

I went on a couple of short bike rides to say good-bye to 2 families who are travelling - one to Istanbul for a year, and one to Italy for 3 weeks. We will miss them both.

It's lovely weather, so we're trying to complete a couple of outdoor projects before the cold weather comes.  It would be great to play some tennis, too.  :D

• Like 4

I have done something to my back. Really struggling to do basic stuff like pick napkin off the floor. I am going to give it a little more time before I go to the dr. I might try a chiro tomorrow. I have tried hard to keep up with healthy eating. Just had my new favorite snack - red pepper slices with guacomole (80 calorie pack from Costco really helps with portion control for me), but am still hungry. 

• Like 3

I have done something to my back. Really struggling to do basic stuff like pick napkin off the floor. I am going to give it a little more time before I go to the dr. I might try a chiro tomorrow. I have tried hard to keep up with healthy eating. Just had my new favorite snack - red pepper slices with guacomole (80 calorie pack from Costco really helps with portion control for me), but am still hungry. 

Ouch! Sorry! Let someone else pick stuff up off the floor for now. :) Hope it is better soon. 

Love red peppers with guac or hummus. Mmmmmm. 

• Like 3

I went to the gym with dd and ds. We all ran for a while on tread mills, then I did some high-intensity intervals on the recumbent bike with arm, and finished off with hill walking on the treadmill while watching Nadal at the US Open. He wasn't playing great at the beginning of the set. I'll have to check to see if he won or not. 

I've been quite good about keeping up my home yoga/stretching most days. 

• Like 4

Me, too! I've been eating way too many treats this summer and just couldn't get motivated to stop. Then I was at the gym last week. My trainer has had me doing a lot of glute work and thought I should have noticed some gains there - so he asked if my pants were starting to feel tight and I said my pants had been tight for months, but it was the treats, not the gym. 

It was at that point that I realized that there is no point working out as hard as I do if I can't actually enjoy the gains. So, no more stupid sugar. This only happened Friday morning, so it's only been a few days, but I really want to kick the sugar habit. I felt so great last summer and fall when I wasn't eating sugar and I'd like to get back to that. But, it's awfully hard and I have to pay a lot of attention to how important it is to not have any right now. 

On the exercise front things are going well. I'm at the gym two days a week. I'm getting closer to doing actual chin-ups. This week I was doing them with my knee in a band. I can deadlift 155 lbs. I definitely feel stronger.

I'm still running with my training group. We did 19.5 km on Sunday and I ran 7 km on my own today.

Yeah, sugar has a huge impact on me as well. Lately I've been able to fully satisfy my sweet tooth with fruit, and it's been really nice!

Nice job on the weightlifting!

Hope you feel better soon!

I've had a great week so far (knock on wood!). No migraines Monday or Tuesday, so I had great workouts both days: HIIT on the stepmill on Monday, weights on Tuesday. I'm planning on cardio again today (steady state rather than HIIT). No migraine so far today either -- hope that holds!

• Like 4

Sorry about your back. Hope you feel better soon, and get some help picking that stuff up in the meantime!

I've had a great week so far (knock on wood!). No migraines Monday or Tuesday, so I had great workouts both days: HIIT on the stepmill on Monday, weights on Tuesday. I'm planning on cardio again today (steady state rather than HIIT). No migraine so far today either -- hope that holds!

This is great! Let's hope it holds for a long long time!

I fenced both Monday and Tuesday so far, and it was fun, but it seems that my wrist is getting worse :( I am thinking about dropping fencing from 5 days a week to 4, and doing some general strengthening workout on the off day, before I got to the point where the pain interferes with my life.

• Like 3

August has been a rough month. This past weekend was especially bad. I had pizza three days in a row and we had ice cream and Oreos for lunch one day - just to give you an idea. Even my normal activity was off. Saturday's karate class was canceled for a demo at the fair. Fun, but not much of a workout. Tuesday's class was short on instructors so I ended up teaching white belts. I don't mind teaching but again, not much of a workout. Frisbee Tuesday night started late and ended early. A ton of people showed up to play so it took a while to get organized and set up a second field and it gets dark so early now that we only played about an hour.

This weekend we're camping with family. I have no idea what that'll mean for healthy eating and exercise.

• Like 4

August has been a rough month. This past weekend was especially bad. I had pizza three days in a row and we had ice cream and Oreos for lunch one day - just to give you an idea. Even my normal activity was off. Saturday's karate class was canceled for a demo at the fair. Fun, but not much of a workout. Tuesday's class was short on instructors so I ended up teaching white belts. I don't mind teaching but again, not much of a workout. Frisbee Tuesday night started late and ended early. A ton of people showed up to play so it took a while to get organized and set up a second field and it gets dark so early now that we only played about an hour.

This weekend we're camping with family. I have no idea what that'll mean for healthy eating and exercise.

It's hard when life kind of derails your best-laid plans. 

Hope there is hiking or something at the family camping. 

When we go hiking, I always make my own trail mix because trail mix is something that once I start on, I eat way too much of.  I don't use dried fruit or M&Ms. I use a mixture of nuts, sometimes Cheerios, and some chunks of quality dark chocolate. That meets the needs and I don't get a sugar rush from it. 

• Like 4

Yesterday, I did nothing. I was at the hospital with a friend getting chemo for 6 hours and when I got home, I was just beat. 

Today, I did Zumba and push-ups, rows, and deadlifts. Calling that good enough. :)

You're a good friend. :grouphug:

(And I'd call that quite good enough too!)

• Like 3

My internet keeps going out and I've been busy. Yesterday started with my bathroom pipe shooting water at 6 am. 

Worked out Mon & Wed, did sprints Mon. but my thighs were hurting a little (almost like I pulled something) so I decided maybe I pushed too hard last week. I'm going to try again on Fri and see how it feels.

Food cravings are subsiding. Appetite is still up a bit but I don't feel like chewing off my arm :) 

Not feeling the best, not sure if it is hormones from starting my period or the fact I screwed up my thyroid meds this weekend, stupid hormone brain fog I kept forgetting to take my meds. I still need to do my labs but with my damn phone going out again and again I haven't been able to call. 

(hugs) keep swimming! Make a plan for camping, bring your own food. 

Yesterday, I did nothing. I was at the hospital with a friend getting chemo for 6 hours and when I got home, I was just beat. 

Today, I did Zumba and push-ups, rows, and deadlifts. Calling that good enough. :)

(hugs) thanks for being there for your friend

I took all the dc for a nice hike on some beautiful trails this afternoon. Tonight I have a doubles tennis match. 

Beautiful, color me jealous!

Edited by soror
  • Like 4

I biked over the the tennis courts this morning and played a singles ladder match. It was really fun and a great work-out. Lots of good rallies. It was very hard getting out of bed this morning, though. The hiking then long tennis match in the evening took it out of me. 

I'm having a sugar success experience right now. Dd made my favourite cookies - molasses - and I managed to eat just one and not go back for more!!  I hope I can hold out the rest of the day. If I'm lucky, they'll all be gone and I won't have the temptation too long.  :p

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 4

Got in an hour of cardio--walking with 22.5 minutes of jogging intervals embedded. Most of the intervals were 80% max or so. Did lower body stretching. 

It felt really hard today. I am wondering if maybe it's the barometer or something. A storm is blowing in. 

• Like 4

I went to fence yesterday, although I felt that I should have skipped it, and by the end of the day my arm was worse, now with pain shooting through my elbow, and I was feeling totally exhausted. I cancelled my lesson today, and felt really really fatigued all day. I barely managed to drive DD to college and back, and cook dinner. I am not sure if I am getting sick or if our weather in triple-digits affects me like this, but I am ready to have my energy back. Anyway, I'll probably take it easy till Tuesday,

• Like 3

My throat started hurting yesterday, maybe that is why I've not felt well, I thought it was period stuff. Dh and I have a rare night alone too.

I hope to try and work out this evening.I've got errands this am.

Really, really, really want some hiking time with just dh or as a family we are headed into a busy time with Scouts and such when free weekends are much rarer- the boys are camping the next 2 weekends (us girls may be camping 1 of those), then 2 weekends off and another weekend of camping for the girls.

Weight is still up 1 lb from where it was but I'm not as bloated as I was earlier this week.

Hope you feel better soon, soror.

I'm impressed with your self-control, wintermom!

Went to a cycling class at my gym this morning. It kicked my butt, like it always does!

Thank you! Is cycling class like spinning?

I biked over the the tennis courts this morning and played a singles ladder match. It was really fun and a great work-out. Lots of good rallies. It was very hard getting out of bed this morning, though. The hiking then long tennis match in the evening took it out of me. 

I'm having a sugar success experience right now. Dd made my favourite cookies - molasses - and I managed to eat just one and not go back for more!!  I hope I can hold out the rest of the day. If I'm lucky, they'll all be gone and I won't have the temptation too long.  :p

Did your resistance hold?   :)

I went to fence yesterday, although I felt that I should have skipped it, and by the end of the day my arm was worse, now with pain shooting through my elbow, and I was feeling totally exhausted. I cancelled my lesson today, and felt really really fatigued all day. I barely managed to drive DD to college and back, and cook dinner. I am not sure if I am getting sick or if our weather in triple-digits affects me like this, but I am ready to have my energy back. Anyway, I'll probably take it easy till Tuesday,

:( Sorry your hurting and not feeling well, hopefully, some rest helps.

Got in an hour of cardio--walking with 22.5 minutes of jogging intervals embedded. Most of the intervals were 80% max or so. Did lower body stretching. 

It felt really hard today. I am wondering if maybe it's the barometer or something. A storm is blowing in. 

It's been rainy here soon, hope you are feeling better soon.

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

After spraining a tendon that connected to my Achilles, needing crutches, then developing frozen shoulder from my shoulder's objection to crutches, I had an epiphany: Now my motto is "First of all, do no harm." 

Unsolicited advice: Rest up!  Taking time for healing saves time in the long run. 

• Like 2

:grouphug:

Thank you! Is cycling class like spinning?

Yeah, I never know what to call it! When I call it spinning people ask, "what is that?" like they've never heard of it, and when I call it cycling people say "oh, you mean spin". :lol:

• Like 2

Did your resistance hold?   :)

No, it didn't. Our family is going to do a month low-sugar challenge in Sept, so it was required to make the remaining couple of cookies disappear. ;)  I took one (or 2 or 3) for the team.  :laugh:

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

I went to the gym with my 2 youngest ds's and did my running and interval work-out. I've also be doing yard work and will hopefully paint the last window outdoors this afternoon. Not sure if I'll get a chance to play any tennis, but I'll try to squeeze it in as it's sunny. Tomorrow dh and I have mixed doubles match re-scheduled, but the forecast is calling for rain, unfortunately. 

My family is on Day 2 of our September low-sugar challenge and it's going well. We shopped yesterday, looking closely at food labels and trying to make smart choices. We completely messed up on one item, though. The dried cranberries we bought and were happily munching on were packed with a zillion grams of sugar.  :ohmy:  Lots of added sugar, which does make sense as cranberries are very sour on their own.  We decided to add the remaining berries to our homemade granola to "dilute" the sugar. 

• Like 4

The dc wanted to go to the gym again. They are getting hooked! It's nice to have company, that's for sure. It's also harder to blow off a work-out when they are insisting to go NOW. ;)

I was lucky today, as the tv in the gym was showing US Open tennis 3rd round matches, and the young Canadian, Denis Shapovalov, (whose name is easily confused with the Russian, Maria Sharapova  :o  and I'm still practicing how to say his name) was playing. He looks about 14 years old, is actually 18, and he beat Nadal at the tournament in Montreal this summer. Our other leading Canadian, Milos Roanic, also looks about 18 years old in his face. I guess we bring up youthful looking tennis players in the far north.  :laugh:

Sadly, I didn't get to play tennis myself today as it didn't stop raining. I'm supposed to play a singles ladder match tomorrow morning. I really hope the rain stops!

Edited by wintermom