Menu

Well Trained Bodies (Diet & Exercise) - Aug. 2017

Granny_Weatherwax

We made it through July! How did you do on your diet and exercise goals?

I never made it to the pool but I did go kayaking a few times. I did really well with decreasing sugar and chai. I did well in the early half of the month on drinking 60-80 oz of water a day but then drank too much lemonade the second half.

I played a lot of tennis this month and took some 3-5 miles hikes or walks.

--

I'm not sure what my goals will be for August.

• Like 6

July was a good month, and I did a whole variety of physical activities (lots of tennis, cycling, swimming, elliptical/treadmill at the gym, yoga, walking/hiking). I'll try to keep all these up in August, weather permitting.

Food-wise, I've been cutting way back on sugar, which has been great to my teeth! I've noticed a big change in sensitivity to cold. I'll definitely keep up with this. The less sugar I eat, the less I crave it - and I've always had a big sweet tooth. 

• Like 6

My goal for August is to complete another Whole30.  I want to lose about 20 lbs by Thanksgiving (DH and I are going on a cruise for our 20th anniversary the week after) and staying off carbs, sugar and alcohol does it for me.  I did great on Monday, yesterday I hit a snag at 10 pm and ate a chocolate chip cookie.  Sigh.  Today is a new day.

My exercise goal for the month is to do the Cathe Friedrich rotation for August, which is 6 days a week.  We start co-op next week and homeschool, and then my oldest starts school the following week.  We have at least one baseball travel tournament in there, so both exercise and Whole30 get a little dicey with the crazy packed schedule.  I'm really great about following the plan Monday and Tuesday, but by Wednesday things go to pot.

• Like 4

My goal for August is to complete another Whole30.  I want to lose about 20 lbs by Thanksgiving (DH and I are going on a cruise for our 20th anniversary the week after) and staying off carbs, sugar and alcohol does it for me.  I did great on Monday, yesterday I hit a snag at 10 pm and ate a chocolate chip cookie.  Sigh.  Today is a new day.

My exercise goal for the month is to do the Cathe Friedrich rotation for August, which is 6 days a week.  We start co-op next week and homeschool, and then my oldest starts school the following week.  We have at least one baseball travel tournament in there, so both exercise and Whole30 get a little dicey with the crazy packed schedule.  I'm really great about following the plan Monday and Tuesday, but by Wednesday things go to pot.

I love Cathe!  I use her workouts a lot for strength, but run for cardio.  How wonderful that you have a cruise planned for your anniversary!  

Diet and exercise have been mostly good.  I have three kids with birthdays next week and we are traveling on Sunday so next week is going to be rough for me.  I get really anxious when my diet/exercise routine is messed up.  

• Like 5

Joining in!

I've come to the realization that my body seems to function best when my diet is almost entirely plant-based with very little sugar. I started following this plan in earnest about ten days ago. My goal was to lose 2 pounds by the end of July, but I ended up losing 5.5 lbs. I feel so much better, both physically and mentally.

Exercise - I get tons of that every single day because we have six horses and there is so much work involved in caring for them and working with them. I actually would appreciate getting a little less exercise some days  ;) .

My goal for August is to keep eating the way I have been and hopefully shed some more pounds.

• Like 6

Joining in. I was the one who posted the thread last week about motivation for long term weight loss. I have been experimenting with intermittent fasting (usually an 8 hour eating window each day) and low carb. That is going well. I am down about 9 lbs in 2 weeks but I know that rate will slow.

I am trying to add in the exercise but I'm just not there yet. Everyday I say "tomorrow ". It is too hot to be outside much but I was using Fitness Blender videos a few months ago and I really liked them. Not sure why I can't get going again with that. My window to get that in is in the morning before things get busy throughout my house. Having a hard time getting at that. I know I need to though.

• Like 6

I was participating in these threads a few months ago but haven't commented in a while. I started doing a diet and fitness program with some trainers in my area. Basically they e-mail me the exercise program and diet plan for the month and I do it at home. Then I go once a month for a weigh-in. My DH really wanted me to try it because he liked it when he worked with them and thought I'd have great results. I was skeptical. I was pretty sure I'd hate it actually and wasn't convinced that the results would be worth it.

Turns out I was right. The diet is low calorie, high protein, low-ish carbs and fat, six meals a day. Sometimes I'd rather just not eat. The workouts are mostly weight training and LONG - an hour plus a day. Overall, the whole thing takes a ton of time and focus. I was hoping the results might be worth it but, here I am, 11.5 weeks into a 12 week program, and I've lost less than a pound a week and most of my measurements haven't changed by more than 1/2" if at all. And I've been very consistent except for about 4 days when we were on vacation. The results so far are no better than when I did my own thing.

I've stuck it out because once I start something don't quit and I'm hoping there's some sort of magic in the last few weeks. The last weigh-in is Saturday so we'll see. But I am so ready to be done!

I'm working on a plan starting next week when my current program is done. I haven't completely figured it out yet. I might do another Whole30 or at least Whole30 inspired. For exercise I want to keep some weight training because I know it's important but probably only twice a week. I also want to walk a lot, try to get through Couch to 5k, practice karate more, and work on flexibility. I just need to figure out how I want to schedule that out.

• Like 6

I am starting from rock bottom! My diet is terrible. Attempting to change my diet often results in making things worse. Definitely an emotional eater using food instead of food being fuel. So I have to tread carefully here, as radical changes create more problems for me. I am working on drinking more water and listening to my body. Even if I eat terribly I am tuning in and really noticing what that feels like. I am trying to eat smaller portions and stop eating earlier in the evening (late night eating is a big problem). Those are my baby steps for dietary changes in August.

I did some baby steps for exercise in July. I went to the gym a few times and did some swimming with the kids. It was ok, especially coming from doing nothing for a couple of years. But I had no desire to exercise at all. I dreaded every workout, which I thought was interesting as I used to actually enjoy exercise.

The last week I have pushed myself a bit harder, doing interval cardio (jog/walks) at the park which I enjoy much more than the steady state cardio I was doing on the machine at the gym. My body seems to wake up and respond much better to interval cardio vs low impact steady state (I was trying to go easy on myself just starting back but felt like it was doing nothing for me at all). Now for the first time in a long time I am starting to WANT to exercise. I wasn't getting that last month. The jogging is doing something,endorphins are kicking in, something!

I think my goals for August will be to walk/jog 2-3 miles at the park 3 days a week and try to hit the gym 2 more days for some upper body weight training. I may do some boxing bag work as I had an epiphany that I didn't have to keep choosing boring gym routines that I hate, lol...

• Like 7

I am still on vacation. This morning I hit a PB on push-ups! Did 6 full length ones! It took a year to work down from wall push-ups to one push-up. Then another year to get to 6 (but I had  3 month, then 6 week hiatus.) So I am excited. Still have the lower body ST to go and some cardio but wanted to share!

• Like 4

Joining in. I was the one who posted the thread last week about motivation for long term weight loss. I have been experimenting with intermittent fasting (usually an 8 hour eating window each day) and low carb. That is going well. I am down about 9 lbs in 2 weeks but I know that rate will slow.

I am trying to add in the exercise but I'm just not there yet. Everyday I say "tomorrow ". It is too hot to be outside much but I was using Fitness Blender videos a few months ago and I really liked them. Not sure why I can't get going again with that. My window to get that in is in the morning before things get busy throughout my house. Having a hard time getting at that. I know I need to though.

Something to try when you want to say "tomorrow" is to say instead "just 5 minutes today (or some other little bit) ."  There are three reasons it' helpful: 

1) It is much easier to argue with yourself about doing just 5 minutes. "You can do anything for 5 minutes. Heck you were on WTM for 15." And it's not as much of a dread. 

2) Once you start, often you'll continue. 

3) But even if you only do the 5 minutes, you have made an investment in consistency. You did something. And consistency is the name of the game. 

• Like 7

I am starting from rock bottom! My diet is terrible. Attempting to change my diet often results in making things worse. Definitely an emotional eater using food instead of food being fuel. So I have to tread carefully here, as radical changes create more problems for me. I am working on drinking more water and listening to my body. Even if I eat terribly I am tuning in and really noticing what that feels like. I am trying to eat smaller portions and stop eating earlier in the evening (late night eating is a big problem). Those are my baby steps for dietary changes in August.

I did some baby steps for exercise in July. I went to the gym a few times and did some swimming with the kids. It was ok, especially coming from doing nothing for a couple of years. But I had no desire to exercise at all. I dreaded every workout, which I thought was interesting as I used to actually enjoy exercise.

The last week I have pushed myself a bit harder, doing interval cardio (jog/walks) at the park which I enjoy much more than the steady state cardio I was doing on the machine at the gym. My body seems to wake up and respond much better to interval cardio vs low impact steady state (I was trying to go easy on myself just starting back but felt like it was doing nothing for me at all). Now for the first time in a long time I am starting to WANT to exercise. I wasn't getting that last month. The jogging is doing something,endorphins are kicking in, something!

I think my goals for August will be to walk/jog 2-3 miles at the park 3 days a week and try to hit the gym 2 more days for some upper body weight training. I may do some boxing bag work as I had an epiphany that I didn't have to keep choosing boring gym routines that I hate, lol...

Very true. It's so important to find a fitness activity that you like. I tried running and keep at it until I could do a 5k in 30 minutes. That was my goal and I reached it, but I hate running. As soon as I got to that goal I just stopped. I just couldn't do it anymore. Once I started lifting and kettlebell, I go out of my way to get to the gym. With running, any excuse was good enough to not go. I've been lifting for 6 months now and this is the longest I've been consistent with any type of exercise.

• Like 5

Busy day, but I managed to bike to the pool to swim a few laps and bike home. Had a ladies doubles tennis match tonight as well. We got some crazy wind, thunder and lightning, but no rain so we played on. The storm passed and the weather became very nice. 

• Like 4

Very true. It's so important to find a fitness activity that you like. I tried running and keep at it until I could do a 5k in 30 minutes. That was my goal and I reached it, but I hate running. As soon as I got to that goal I just stopped. I just couldn't do it anymore. Once I started lifting and kettlebell, I go out of my way to get to the gym. With running, any excuse was good enough to not go. I've been lifting for 6 months now and this is the longest I've been consistent with any type of exercise.

This is me! I hate running. I ave never experienced the runner's high. I just get to a point where my mind says "This stinks." I did couch to 5K and kept running the 5Ks under 30 and then continued until I was doing a 10K. I hated every day of running. The only thing that kept me going was the goal. As soon as I hit 10K, I quit. I do not want to run 1/2 marathons or marathons.

There are other activities I love to do: tennis, walking, hiking, kayaking. I love swimming when there are no other people around (well, the lifeguard has to be there because I don't want to drown.)

• Like 5

I set up a tennis evening with my local friends and friends from the cities. It was so much fun. I cannot express how happy it made me to see these two groups of ladies come together for a fun evening of tennis. The local ladies will be going up to the cities in a few weeks for another tennis night. This truly makes my heart happy.

I ate too many GF vanilla cookies this evening. I was happy with life and celebrated with sugar. However, I did not have any chai or potato chips today so it was a trade off. 

• Like 7

I think July went well. We walked almost every day. We did sprints regularly. I did yoga. I did some strength work at least weekly.

This week I have 2 more days of teaching Kid's Yoga Camp, which is exhausting more in the mental sense than physical although of course, I am teaching yoga. Most of my kids are really out of shape so we are going pretty slow and we do a lot of work through play.

This month I don't even know my plans my brain is consumed with finishing camp, plus I am still not feeling well. 

Hopeful plans (assuming my energy improves)----

continue dailyish walks- throw in sprints a couple of times a week; longer hikes a couple of times a month

bodyweight work at least 1x a week (I'm going to continue meeting friends 1x a week- that is good motivation for them and me)

yoga- a few times a week

I will probably start teaching a weekly kid's yoga class soon but it might not be until the end of the month. I'm still considering teaching adults.

• Like 5

Well, today was "tomorrow" and I finally got my exercise in! I did the easiest Fitness Blender video I could find. It was hard for me so it really made me confront how much fitness I have lost and weight I have gained. I got through it though. It will be awhile before I can move on to the harder ones I was enjoying before. The easier one is boring. I will be looking forward to making progress so I can do the ones I was enjoying before.

Eating is on track and the scale is moving down. I am trying not to focus too much on the scale because there will be times it does not move in the direction I want. But for today that was a nice bonus. First ten pounds gone.

I am meeting a friend for lunch today that I haven't seen in about 18 months and 35 pounds :( I am embarassed at how taken aback she will probably be by my appearance but I am really looking forward to it. We are eating somewhere that I know I have options to stay on plan and I know we will have a nice time.

• Like 7

Well, July wasn't my best month....

Sprained my ankle so that presented a bit of a challenge to my workout schedule.  I'm mostly doing cycling to go on easier on it now, though hiking, running, and the step mill are usually my favorite forms of cardio (doc told me not to do those for at least a month).  The cycling classes at my gym are fun and challenging, though, so I'm glad that I started those.  They were kind of intimidating to me before, so I'm counting it as a win that I started going, and enjoy it!

I'd lost ground with my weight-lifting prior to July, but toward the end of July I got serious about it again.  My personal best on the leg press was 200 pounds, and I really want to get back to that.  I'm only at 140 right now, so I'm not sure how long it will take, but I hope I will get closer by the end of August!

The main problem I'm facing right now is that I have done terribly with regards to diet lately!  I was doing so well after my Whole30, and I'm honestly not sure why I got so badly off track.  So my plan at this point is to sign up for the Paleo plan on eMeals, and hopefully that will provide some practical help and inspiration for getting back on track. 

I'm thinking maybe I should type up and print out some more specific goals for August, and hang it up somewhere where I'll see it a lot.  Or would anyone have some better tips for keeping those goals in mind, and staying on track?

Good luck to everyone with August goals!

• Like 5

Well, today was "tomorrow" and I finally got my exercise in! I did the easiest Fitness Blender video I could find. It was hard for me so it really made me confront how much fitness I have lost and weight I have gained. I got through it though. It will be awhile before I can move on to the harder ones I was enjoying before. The easier one is boring. I will be looking forward to making progress so I can do the ones I was enjoying before.

Eating is on track and the scale is moving down. I am trying not to focus too much on the scale because there will be times it does not move in the direction I want. But for today that was a nice bonus. First ten pounds gone.

I am meeting a friend for lunch today that I haven't seen in about 18 months and 35 pounds :( I am embarassed at how taken aback she will probably be by my appearance but I am really looking forward to it. We are eating somewhere that I know I have options to stay on plan and I know we will have a nice time.

Great job on eating and exercise.  Don't be embarrassed about your weight when you meet your friend.  She will be so happy to see you and spend time with you after 18 months and won't care at all about your appearance!  Enjoy your lunch date.  

Sprained my ankle so that presented a bit of a challenge to my workout schedule.  I'm mostly doing cycling to go on easier on it now, though hiking, running, and the step mill are usually my favorite forms of cardio (doc told me not to do those for at least a month).  The cycling classes at my gym are fun and challenging, though, so I'm glad that I started those.  They were kind of intimidating to me before, so I'm counting it as a win that I started going, and enjoy it!

I'd lost ground with my weight-lifting prior to July, but toward the end of July I got serious about it again.  My personal best on the leg press was 200 pounds, and I really want to get back to that.  I'm only at 140 right now, so I'm not sure how long it will take, but I hope I will get closer by the end of August!

The main problem I'm facing right now is that I have done terribly with regards to diet lately!  I was doing so well after my Whole30, and I'm honestly not sure why I got so badly off track.  So my plan at this point is to sign up for the Paleo plan on eMeals, and hopefully that will provide some practical help and inspiration for getting back on track. 

I'm thinking maybe I should type up and print out some more specific goals for August, and hang it up somewhere where I'll see it a lot.  Or would anyone have some better tips for keeping those goals in mind, and staying on track?

I'm sorry about your sprained ankle.  Injuries are so frustrating.  I hurt my knee a couple of months ago and couldn't run.  Fortunately, I was able to use my spin bike and it didn't bother my knee, but it was so boring.  I actually cried one day over not being able to run - I need it for my mental health!  

• Like 6

I'm sorry about your sprained ankle. Injuries are so frustrating. I hurt my knee a couple of months ago and couldn't run. Fortunately, I was able to use my spin bike and it didn't bother my knee, but it was so boring. I actually cried one day over not being able to run - I need it for my mental health!

Thank you! Luckily it seems to be healing faster than I would have expected. Hope that your knee has healed! I know exactly what you mean about running. I'm no good at it - I might quite literally be the world's slowest runner, and yet despite the fact that I'm moving at a turtle's pace, I breathe so hard and my face turns so red that I actually get people asking me if I'm okay! :lol: But I do it anyway, because nothing else feels so good. It lifts my spirits and makes me so happy, and the effect lasts for hours or even a day or two afterward. I know that cardio at the gym is just as good for my body, but it simply does not have the same effects on my brain.

My daughter has started running, too, and so I'm really ready to get back to it with her to support and encourage her. I was even thinking that maybe the whole family should sign up for a 5K this fall. I hope my ankle will be ready by then. My daughter would have to work up to that distance. It would be a breeze for my husband, though. He used to run marathons.

• Like 4

No exercising yesterday because I took ds to campus for his advising appointment and then the van broke down on the way home. Sway bar connector on the driver's side broke!

Ai yi yi yi yi

No going to the gym today because I was told that the 2006 Sienna's have a design flaw in the frame of the car that causes suspensions to break over and over again, that the feds told Toyota to do a recall, Toyota refused, and does not do a darn thing for the owners. The suspension guy referred to it as a "pig in a poke" and it explains why I am going through tires so fast on this vehicle because they can't keep it aligned, and shocks never last nor do struts. I am really angry with Toyota right now!

So I have been spending the day homeschooling AND researching vehicles and seeing what is out there that is in our price range. Leaning towards a Honda Odyssey because I want the insurance safety rating for side impact since it was a t-bone that nearly killed us, and the firefighters and police said the engineering on siennas is top dog for surviving just about any kind of crash that isn't with a semi or something like that. Honda Odysseys have the same rating.

I really did not need to spend this money right now. Both boys have tuition due in the next two weeks.

And of course no way to the gym until I get a vehicle. I am going to take a long, long walk later tonight. At least I will get some form of exercise, and I will have a chance to decompress. Right now I am very vexed. It won't be the level of exercise I want, but better than nothing.

• Like 5

I took the 11 and 13 year old ds's mountain biking this morning where we cross-country ski in the winter. We visited 2 cabins, and went up and down lots of rocky hills. They have an interesting biking technique where they don't bother to gear down; just walk the bike uphill then scream down the hill. :svengo:  I was afraid of some badly scraped up bodies, but they managed to stay upright. 

• Like 5

I have managed 2 yoga classes a week for the last 2 weeks so I feel proud of that. I have also not stopped in at my usual fast food store at all the last 2 weeks which has been a big change and I do feel better for it. 

Today in the relaxation part of yoga I started yawning. I realised that I couldn't remember the last time I'd yawned - it was like even though I'm tired I'm never relaxed enough to actually take deep enough breaths to yawn. So I do feel yoga is going to help me wind down a bit. 

• Like 8

I'm sorry to read about the injuries and car troubles.  I hope Greta and Erica heal quickly and that Faithmanor's car troubles are resolved without incident.

I went to the cities to play tennis. OMG, I had the best day on the courts. My game was dead on and I played like never before. My partner and opponents were good players and I think their pace and skill allowed me to play better.  I came home, ate a healthy salad and then had 5 GF cookies. 

I play tennis again in the morning so I'll have to have a healthy breakfast and lay off the sweets for the rest of the day.

• Like 6

Sprained my ankle so that presented a bit of a challenge to my workout schedule. I'm mostly doing cycling to go on easier on it now, though hiking, running, and the step mill are usually my favorite forms of cardio (doc told me not to do those for at least a month). The cycling classes at my gym are fun and challenging, though, so I'm glad that I started those. They were kind of intimidating to me before, so I'm counting it as a win that I started going, and enjoy it!

I'd lost ground with my weight-lifting prior to July, but toward the end of July I got serious about it again. My personal best on the leg press was 200 pounds, and I really want to get back to that. I'm only at 140 right now, so I'm not sure how long it will take, but I hope I will get closer by the end of August!

The main problem I'm facing right now is that I have done terribly with regards to diet lately! I was doing so well after my Whole30, and I'm honestly not sure why I got so badly off track. So my plan at this point is to sign up for the Paleo plan on eMeals, and hopefully that will provide some practical help and inspiration for getting back on track.

I'm thinking maybe I should type up and print out some more specific goals for August, and hang it up somewhere where I'll see it a lot. Or would anyone have some better tips for keeping those goals in mind, and staying on track?

I'm sorry to hear about your sprained ankle. Hope it heals quickly! I sprained mine this spring and it definitely derailed my exercise plan for a while. Longer than it should have but it's hard to get back into a routine after being out of it.

Today's workout was a family bike ride. My DH and I had the great idea that we would take the kids and ride to our favorite ice cream place - 10 miles away. Oh my word - the hills! How is it possible that it was uphill both ways?! There are definitely a lot of big hills around here. We just didn't think too much about that when we decided to go for it. Also, bicycle seats are uncomfortable. We made it though. 20 miles round trip with 13, 11, 9, and 7 year olds. It was a 6 hour day. We went right to my IL after to jump in the pool and float around.

Food today - well, ice cream. Two huge scoops in a waffle cone was lunch. We ate a decent breakfast before we left and then grilled for dinner but I was too tired to eat much by that point. One day left before the final weigh-in. Hopefully cheating today doesn't have any negative effects on that.

• Like 7

What is helpful to me is to track my goals on my computer. 

I make little charts and then fill them in. (And I leave a chart blank so I can just copy and paste for the next week.) 

So my health log has a row for moderate cardio, one for vigorous, one for strength training, sleep, flexibility exercises, or whatever else I am tracking. Then there is a column for each day of the week. I find it motivating to jot down what I've done. (I also fill in the square with a background color because I like colors. Kind of like stickers for an adult. :) )  

Anyway this motivates me and also provides a record of what I've done. 

• Like 4

Today I did an hour of walking with 20 minutes of jogging intervals embedded. I also did my flexibility exercises. I did not have pizza, which was what was served for dinner. (Still on vaca with extended family.) I had watermelon and some nuts instead which I happen to love. The pizza arrived while I was out walking/jogging so other than opening the fridge and seeing the boxes with the leftovers there I did not have to face down the aroma of hot pizza! 

• Like 4

Yesterday I finished my big kid camp. It has been exhausting and exhilarating. I was so proud of the kids and proud of the program I ran. I had never done anything like that before, especially not on my own. Most of the kids I had were not in good shape and several were overweight so I found that we had to go slow but it was even more thrilling to see them get something after all the work they put in. For some just believing that they could do it was a huge accomplishment. We started and ended each day with yoga, then we did crafts, a lesson in mindfulness and then did some strength/skill work. Mon and Thurs they worked on animal locomotion and handstands- the improvement between those days was unreal. The first day one of my girls cried- more because it was hard and she couldn't do it. I talked to her and she tried it again on Thurs. and although she didn't make it up, she got closer and there were no tears! She also was able to do all the locomotion with modifications. One of my bigger boys did a handstand for show and tell, his Mom had been nervous specifically asking me about it, telling me she didn't know he could do it, she was shocked. I broke it down very incrementally so there was a level everyone could do. Even my shyest boy got in front of everyone to show his tree pose. One of my yogi friends came by yesterday and helped me out, she challenged me to some locomotion races, that was a hoot! Tuesday we did hula hooping, I am so not good at that but the kids had a good time, we did some team building games, a few exercises with the hoops, then I just let them try go at it. Wed. we did Aerial Yoga, which of course they loved, although they found it challenging. 

It has been hard because I've not felt good all week. I was sick as a dog thurs. night and fri and really just recovering Sat. and Sun. I wasn't sleeping well and my stomach is still off. By the time I finish and make it home I've been collapsing in a heap until it is time to cook supper, plan the next day, and go to sleep. But my sleep and stomach are improving ever so slowly. I hope to be normalish next week and am so ready to get back to our regular routine.

Today is the 3-6yo. I'm slightly nervous because this age is very much a crap shoot. I've got a plan and half a dozen back-up plans. Fingers crossed and all that. I went to bed at 8:30 and conked right out until 4am, I would have preferred to sleep until 5 but that was a great nights sleep compared to how it has been.

• Like 5

Oh, and I'm working on plans for an ongoing kid's class. I see this huge need in my community for kids who are out of shape to have a place to go that they can be physically active in a positive environment. The thing I was the proudest of this week was although the kids came from varied backgrounds(dr.'s and lawyers kids to the poor and misfits) yet the environment was positive and supportive for everyone. They all cheered each other on, I had been nervous how that would work, but I set the tone and expectations and the kids followed along beautifully. Anyway, I think I want to call it Strong Bodies, Strong Minds. We just won't work on the physical side but talk about the mental side as well (as we did in camp). Continue working on setting positive goals, building self-confidence, working on growth mindset, and work on stress in general. It is so sad that so many of the kids have gone through so much. We talked about how the brain works- the prefrontal cortex, the amygdala, and the hippocampus- how our brain reacts to stress and how we can improve that reaction. The kids just ate it up, discussion and sharing time was one of their favorite parts. It seems that with our busy lives kids don't get too much time when someone just listens to what they have to say without any distraction. Gah, I'm going on, it was amazing.

Edited by soror
  • Like 5

Vacation is drawing to an end. I have one more strength training day to do this week so could do it today or tomorrow. Also cardio. It's been nice to do strength training and stretching facing the bay and to run along the beach by the ocean. 

Sunday will be in the car all day and then jump in with both feet into regular life. I am looking forward to doing deadlifts again, though. They are my favorite lift but I couldn't really bring a barbell on vaca. I substituted hamstring curls, which are better than nothing but I wouldn't be surprised if I need to drop back weight a bit when I get home. 

• Like 4

I have started swimming! I can do 30 minutes of front crawl and another 15 minutes of breaststroke. I have been doing abs and arms workout every morning and tracking my calories. Have not lost one pound! UGH!! My clothes fit better so I know I am losing inches and probably gaining muscle. But I am eating right at 1200 - 1400 calories so it would be nice to see that reflected on the scale!  I will keep at it.  I hope to add some weight lifting in another few weeks; I wanted to concentrate on learning how to swim well first.  

I want to encourage others who are trying... swimming is hard to learn. It took me three weeks to get into a good rhythm for the front crawl. I watched some videos and really concentrated on my breathing first, then I just concentrated my arms, etc.. 

Best of luck to all!

• Like 6

This is my first time joining this thread. July went well - I maintained my original 28 lb. weight loss while playing around with my carb levels. I cut my carb levels a little bit and managed to drop another 2 pounds this week, so I'm a total of 30 lbs. down since I started my current lifestyle change a 3 or 4 months ago. (Wahl's Protocol) I've been taking the dog for short walks when the weather cooperates and use my exercise bike when I don't have laundry hanging off of it. :001_rolleyes: I'm at the tail-end (I hope!) of an MS flare, so I'm limited in what I can physically handle. I'm planning on starting yoga this week, so if anyone can recommend a gentle beginner's program that I can view online I'd appreciate it. I haven't done yoga since high school! 

• Like 5

I'm sorry to hear about your sprained ankle. Hope it heals quickly! I sprained mine this spring and it definitely derailed my exercise plan for a while. Longer than it should have but it's hard to get back into a routine after being out of it.

Thank you!

What is helpful to me is to track my goals on my computer. 

I make little charts and then fill them in. (And I leave a chart blank so I can just copy and paste for the next week.) 

So my health log has a row for moderate cardio, one for vigorous, one for strength training, sleep, flexibility exercises, or whatever else I am tracking. Then there is a column for each day of the week. I find it motivating to jot down what I've done. (I also fill in the square with a background color because I like colors. Kind of like stickers for an adult. :) )  

Anyway this motivates me and also provides a record of what I've done. 

This is a great idea - thank you so much!

Oh, and I'm working on plans for an ongoing kid's class. I see this huge need in my community for kids who are out of shape to have a place to go that they can be physically active in a positive environment. The thing I was the proudest of this week was although the kids came from varied backgrounds(dr.'s and lawyers kids to the poor and misfits) yet the environment was positive and supportive for everyone. They all cheered each other on, I had been nervous how that would work, but I set the tone and expectations and the kids followed along beautifully. Anyway, I think I want to call it Strong Bodies, Strong Minds. We just won't work on the physical side but talk about the mental side as well (as we did in camp). Continue working on setting positive goals, building self-confidence, working on growth mindset, and work on stress in general. It is so sad that so many of the kids have gone through so much. We talked about how the brain works- the prefrontal cortex, the amygdala, and the hippocampus- how our brain reacts to stress and how we can improve that reaction. The kids just ate it up, discussion and sharing time was one of their favorite parts. It seems that with our busy lives kids don't get too much time when someone just listens to what they have to say without any distraction. Gah, I'm going on, it was amazing.

Wow, that does sound amazing!

• Like 2

That's awesome the camp went so well! I love the idea of an on-going program throughout the year. Sounds like there is a real need. Love your name for it! 

• Like 3

Yesterday was a weight workout, and it was my leg press day.  I was able to do one set at 160, and the other two sets at 140.  So that was a little bit of progress - very little, but still, I'm counting it!  

Didn't do so great on my diet.  Daughter had a bit of a stressful event, so we took her out for ice cream to cheer her up.  Maybe not the best way of seeking comfort, but oh well.

Not sure what I'll do today.  Slept too late to make it to the cycling class.

• Like 6

Yesterday, I kayaked for about 45 minutes. 

Today, I *should* do strength training and some cardio, but it's also the last day of vaca, so we'll see. 

Tomorrow is sit on your butt in the car all day day so I really should do *something* today besides get packed up and watch the water!  It's too choppy to kayak so it will be running or nothing. 

• Like 6

I played a really fun and challenging ladies singles ladder match this morning - the best one of the season. I managed to squeak ahead and win, but it could have gone either way. We definitely want to play each other again.

I popped over to the pool for a couple laps (missed the long-weekend timing for lane swim) and hot tub. I did some stretching in the hot tub, which was a brilliant discovering on my part, I think!  

• Like 4

Yesterday I walked 3 miles with a friend. Today I went to karate class.

Meals yesterday were ok. I had pizza last night but it was homemade, whole wheat, thin crust, loaded with veggies so not all bad. Today has been somewhat of a cheat day. Not terrible -yet, DH and I have plans for a burger and fries and dessert after we send the kids to bed. I had my last weigh-in today and am celebrating with a cheat meal. I've been really strict for weeks (except the ice cream a couple of days ago).

I think my final numbers were ok. I know I only lost 9 pounds in the 12 weeks but I think the measurements were better. They're supposed to e-mail me the measurements but haven't yet.

• Like 5

I exercised Friday and then took today off. I was pretty sore and Saturdays are usually a good off day for me. We went out for Mexican tonight and I was able to order the fajita meat and veggies without all the extras. It was very good and I enjoyed it and was glad to have a go-to thing to order when we end up in a Mexican restaurant.

My 8 hour eating window is working well for me and I am less hungry overall. Eating frequently all day is just a mess for me.

I am down about 12 pounds in three weeks. I am about seven pounds from losing the weight I piled on over the last year. Then I will start working on 2015. Sigh.

• Like 5

Didn't get to the gym today. Spent the afternoon in the ER with dh who cut himself while sharpening a knife and severed the extensor (sp?) tendon on his left thumb. 

He has surgery Monday or Tuesday to repair so my best guess is that the gym going might be on hold. If he is feeling well tomorrow and DOING WHAT THE DOCTOR SAYS (that has been a not easy thing to get him to do), I may go in the afternoon or early evening.

• Like 4

Today's exercise was lots and lots of cleaning. I'm so far behind from recovering and teaching camp, I was just treading water all week. I felt better today than I have in weeks. Tomorrow I'm hopeful for a walk and more cleaning. We started school in July did 4 wks and then had last week off, now next week we are hitting it with gusto and I want to get the place spic and span before we jump in again.

Yesterday, I kayaked for about 45 minutes. 

Today, I *should* do strength training and some cardio, but it's also the last day of vaca, so we'll see. 

Tomorrow is sit on your butt in the car all day day so I really should do *something* today besides get packed up and watch the water!  It's too choppy to kayak so it will be running or nothing. 

Enjoy your vacation.

I played a really fun and challenging ladies singles ladder match this morning - the best one of the season. I managed to squeak ahead and win, but it could have gone either way. We definitely want to play each other again.

I popped over to the pool for a couple laps (missed the long-weekend timing for lane swim) and hot tub. I did some stretching in the hot tub, which was a brilliant discovering on my part, I think!  

Congrats on the win!

I did a class called Fast and Furious this morning. I ended up eating too much pizza due to a swim team party. Ugh. I really need to be careful about going to parties while hungry.

Good job on the class, hope you at least enjoyed the pizza.

Meals yesterday were ok. I had pizza last night but it was homemade, whole wheat, thin crust, loaded with veggies so not all bad. Today has been somewhat of a cheat day. Not terrible -yet, DH and I have plans for a burger and fries and dessert after we send the kids to bed. I had my last weigh-in today and am celebrating with a cheat meal. I've been really strict for weeks (except the ice cream a couple of days ago).

I think my final numbers were ok. I know I only lost 9 pounds in the 12 weeks but I think the measurements were better. They're supposed to e-mail me the measurements but haven't yet.

I think that is pretty good lose for 12 wks, hope that it feels worth it now that you made it through.

I exercised Friday and then took today off. I was pretty sore and Saturdays are usually a good off day for me. We went out for Mexican tonight and I was able to order the fajita meat and veggies without all the extras. It was very good and I enjoyed it and was glad to have a go-to thing to order when we end up in a Mexican restaurant.

My 8 hour eating window is working well for me and I am less hungry overall. Eating frequently all day is just a mess for me.

I am down about 12 pounds in three weeks. I am about seven pounds from losing the weight I piled on over the last year. Then I will start working on 2015. Sigh.

Glad you have found something that is working. 12 lbs down is a ton for 3 wks.

Didn't get to the gym today. Spent the afternoon in the ER with dh who cut himself while sharpening a knife and severed the extensor (sp?) tendon on his left thumb. 

He has surgery Monday or Tuesday to repair so my best guess is that the gym going might be on hold. If he is feeling well tomorrow and DOING WHAT THE DOCTOR SAYS (that has been a not easy thing to get him to do), I may go in the afternoon or early evening.

You can't catch a break!

• Like 2

Congratulations on the weight loss. That is a phenomenal loss for three weeks.

• Like 2

I'm sorry to hear about your DH's injury. I hope surgery goes well and he heals quickly.

• Like 1

Congratulations on the weight loss! 9 pounds is right on target for 12 weeks. Way to go!

• Like 1