Menu

Wells' The Time Machine question....

GeoKitty

Not sure where to post this, and I tried looking online but was unsuccessful. We are reading the Time Machine aloud. ...

Anyway, at the end of chapter six, the Time Traveler describes the Morlocks as having "lidless" eyes. A couple of paragraphs later, as the Time Traveler is ascending the well, the Morlocks looked at him and "blinked." DD noticed this discrepancy. How can they blink if they don't have eyelids, she asked me. Honestly, I didn't even notice. And I don't know how to answer her. It bothers her, really bothers her.

Does anyone have any insight? Maybe this is an obvious thing.... But I don't know. And if it didn't bother DD so much, I wouldn't really care. Lol. Help?

Ok, so here are the sentences.....

"You can scarce imagine how nauseatingly inhuman they looked- those pale, chinless faces and great, lidless, pinkish- grey eyes!- as they stared in their blindness and bewilderment."

And then at the end of that paragraph....

"But I had my hands on the climbing bars now, and, kicking violently, I disengaged myself from the clutches of the Morlocks and was speedily clambering up the shaft, while they stayed peering and blinking up at me..."