Menu

Huntsville, AL area

We're seriously considering getting out of dodge (Illinois) while the getting is good.  We are leaning toward the Huntsville, AL area.  We are wondering where a good place to settle is.  The research my DH has done so far has us leaning towards south east Huntsville, specifically the Owens Cross Roads area. 

Is this a good area?  Any specific neighborhoods to look for?  We are thinking of renting for a while to make sure we like the area.

I think the thing that makes me most anxious is the church situation.  We are Christian Reformed and there are none in the area.  We would probably land in a Presbyterian church.  If anyone knows of/attends one that has other homeschoolers that would be very helpful/reassuring to me.

Thanks for any help!

We're seriously considering getting out of dodge (Illinois) while the getting is good.  We are leaning toward the Huntsville, AL area.  We are wondering where a good place to settle is.  The research my DH has done so far has us leaning towards south east Huntsville, specifically the Owens Cross Roads area. 

Is this a good area?  Any specific neighborhoods to look for?  We are thinking of renting for a while to make sure we like the area.

I think the thing that makes me most anxious is the church situation.  We are Christian Reformed and there are none in the area.  We would probably land in a Presbyterian church.  If anyone knows of/attends one that has other homeschoolers that would be very helpful/reassuring to me.

Thanks for any help!

Owens Cross Roads is very nice, and there is an excellent PCA Presbyterian church there if you can handle modern music.  

Huntsville enjoys a large homeschooling community.

Thanks.  I think we might travel to Huntsville in October to check out the area.  On paper Huntsville seems to fit the bill.  I guess we'll see. :)  I found a facebook group last night that I joined.  I didn't think we would find a place with more homeschool activities than the area we are in now but looks like Huntsville far surpasses our current area in that respect.

The winters are mild, a significant portion of the population holds a 4 year college degree or higher, and there is an excellent youth orchestra, Low Mill (artisan complex), lots of local breweries, rowing clubs, botanical garden, Space & Rocket Center, and museums. The drive is easy to Nashville and Chattanooga, the beaches south are beautiful, housing is affordable, and crime is low.

My family knows many homeschoolers. I won't say that DH's co-workers understand homeschooling, but then they don't express an opinion about it one way or the other. State homeschooling laws have relaxed considerably, and homeschoolers can now participate in public school sports.

Thanks so much.  My husband should be able to keep his job and just telecommute but if he ever loses his job we need to be somewhere he can get another job easily.  Huntsville seems to fit the bill.  He has a master's and I have a BSN so we'd fit in as far as education I suppose.

It looks like Cornerstone Presbyterian is our type of church although Southwood looks fun.  We shall see.

Property taxes look amazingly low. 

Thanks for all of your help!