Menu

Creative writing topics and writing program for advanced 6th grader

My soon to be 6th grader is a very advanced reader and writer. We haven't used a formal writing program beyond her Language Arts program and she is writing a new "book" every time I turn around.

I'd like to give her some creative writing assignments a.s.a.p. that are challenging and more focused.

I welcome any topics and assignments you might suggest.

Also what writing programs and websites do you reccommend for a voracious writer?

Thank you!

Brave Writer is a good approach for reluctant and prodigious writers - it's funny that way, and I think it can work for a wide variety of learners, but it's perhaps best at those two ends of the spectrum.

NaNoWriMo's novel writing materials are actually really good. And they're free. For a kid who is constantly writing her own novels, that's definitely a resource to use.

Karen Benke's books - Rip the Page and Leap Write In are good for this age and have good short exercises.

There are lots of good prompt books for creative writers. The Mysteries of Harris Burdick is my favorite, but you can find a lot of good ones. And that one is short.

I think Killgallon is a good formal writing program for creative, writing loving kids because it both teaches grammar and mechanics through good models and lets kids copy the models and learn from them.

Obviously look at OYAN and The Creative Writer. But note that OYAN is not secular if that matters to you. I don't have personal experience with either.

• Like 3

We used Adventures in Fantasy ($20 at Rainbow Resource), paired with The Imaginary World of ($12.50 at Amazon, to assist with world building), in 6th grade, and I highly recommend it. By the end of the year, she had written and edited an entire 14,000 word book. We spent the last week of school learning different methods of bookbinding, and ended up making a copy bound like a Little Golden book. She loves seeing *her* book on her bookshelf.

If you want to see how we did it, I put my schedule for using these resources up on my blog.

Ruth

• Like 5

websites
Small World blog: Teaching Creative Writing -- tips for homeschool parent
Small World blog: Ultimate Guide to Creative Writing -- big list of links for all types of resources for all ages
NaNoWriMo Young Writers Program (National Novel Writing Month) materials
Walking By the Way: Creative Writing -- 9 free lessons
The English Teacher -- units for teaching facets of creative writing
The Five Facts of Fiction -- free tips

books
Writing Magic: Creating Stories that Fly (Levine)

curriculum
Cover Story (Daniel Schwabauer) -- middle school
One Year Adventure Novel program (Daniel Schwabauer) -- high school
The Creative Writer, vol. 1 or vol. 2 (Boris Fishman) -- from TWTM Press
How to Write a Story (Lee Roddy) -- high school; from IEW
Future Learn: Start Writing Fiction -- high school/adult; free online course

Brave Writer online classes
Passion for Fiction
Writing the Short Story
Fan Fiction
Writing a Greek Myth
Comicstrip Capers
Powerful Fiction Techniques

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Writing Magic is really good, and it's just a little book. OYAN might be a bit advanced since it's designed for high school, but you could always make it the "Two Year Adventure Novel" if you need. They also have a follow-up curriculum that addresses writing science fiction and fantasy, if she's interested once OYAN is done.

• Like 1