Menu

Can't believe how fast time has gone ...

Heather in WI

I'm smiling as I read over an exchange I've saved for ten years from the old boards:

My ds, a second grader, has expressed interest in attending the naval academy. He wants to be "a navy seal officer". I fully understand that he will most likely change his mind in the next 10 years, but was wondering what curriculum you used that prepared your daughter so well (in case he doesn't change his mind). Since the academies are so competitive, my biggest fear is that my children won't be prepared because of *my* ignorance. 

~Heather

Posted by Margaret in CO on 19:19 Jun 1
http://wtmboards.com/HSboardMay172007/messages/2816

The most important thing is rigor...

Meaning Alg I in 8th grade, calc in 12th, 3 years at least of a foreign language, and outside classes in "heavy" subjects: math/science. He'll need outside recommendations. And in high school, varsity sports. A REAL biggie is Eagle Scout, so Cub Scouts would be a good thing. One of things my dd had going for her was her own business, plus her private pilot license. Her music didn't hurt and there are always those volunteer hours to rack up! In short, plan as you would for any competitive university, with the addition of sports.

Remember that the application process starts December of junior year--so 12th is too late to start those cool college classes. In middle school, you might want to think about a sports camp--so he can get a taste of the place.

If you want to read a funny book (NOT for kids), look for The Return of Philo McGiffin. I reread it last night--it's a hoot!

There's a kids' book on USNA--can't remember the name, but Amazon has it. (you probably already own it) And if you need a birthday present or two, the Mid Store has a civilian part where you can order sweatshirts, etc.

And remember, a student has to want to be an officer first--rather than a specific thing like SEALS. Will the student be happy if he doesn't get the dream? That's why my dd picked USNA over USCGA and AFA--more choices after graduation.

My dd ships out 10 days earlier than we planned--for Japan!

Oh, Margaret! Ds is applying now! I want to laugh and cry over the journey from the day we exchanged the above post to today.  "What a long, strange trip it's been!" 

Ds no longer wants to be a SEAL officer (lol!), but hopes to end up somewhere in cyber-warfare. He's applying to USNA, USAFA, and USMA along with a host of ROTC colleges. We'll see what the future holds!

It's such a weird thing to be here at the end of this phase of life with our oldest. Bitter sweet.  :crying:

Very weird to be posting on the college boards.  :eek:

Edited by Heather in WI
  • Like 17

It is surreal, isn't it. I started posting on the old WTM boards when my oldest was in 6th or 7th grade. Last yr I homeschooled his Dd for K. I kept looking at her and thinking it must be impossible for so much time to slipped away. And, oh my, when I read old posts, it is a strange feeling. People link an old post of mine from time to time and my college freshman was a 5th grader at the time. Very uncanny.

Best wishes to your ds as he seeks his goals!

• Like 2

It flies, indeed.  :crying:   My oldest dd was 2nd or 3rd grade when I joined the WTM (I had a different account/user name and I lost my email address and my password at the same time through a crazy move/happenstance and had to start a new account  :lol: ).  

Congrats to making it this far with sanity mostly intact  :grouphug:   

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 1