Menu

Grammar curriculum before MCT Island?

Is there anything MCT-ish for the younger elementary set?  My twins are young second graders, and I'm not ready to start them on Island yet.  I was wondering if there was anything enjoyable as a light introduction to grammar that we could do the first half of the year. 

How about reading Grammar Land by M.L. Nesbitt together? It is available online as a free PDF or reprinted from Amazon, or free audiobook on Librivox. It would be a fun intro, and would spark some good discussions and explanations along the way.

Also, FWIW, second grade has not been too young for MCT Island for my kids. So you could just jump in if you wanted.

• Like 2

We used FLL 1 and 2 (condensed and accelerated) and then read Grammar Land before MCT.  They were both good for different reasons.  

FWIW, my garden-variety gifted DS#2 enjoyed MCT Island this past year as a very young second grader (his b-day is a few days before the Oct. PS cutoff).  He's near finishing the last book and then I plan to read the Mud Trilogy with him.  Island was a good fit, but I'll likely have him take a year off between Island and Town.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm just not remembering it well.  I used it with my oldest in first or second grade, and that was 4-5 years ago.  I then sold it because I was sure I wasn't homeschooling the twins.   :laugh:  Best laid plans and all that. Anyways it was a long time ago and my brain cells are strained these days so there is a good chance it will be great. 

I think I'll just order Island and if it ends up being too much I'll save it.  I know we'll use it eventually. 

• Like 1

We successfully used the Island level at age 5. DD is especially strong in language, but I'd still think it was ok for a language-oriented 1st or a reasonably interested 2nd grader.

However, if you'd prefer to wait a bit, the Brian P. Cleary books and Ruth Heller books were great introductions for DD. Our library had them.

• Like 1

My oldest did FLL 1/2 (the original combo book) before MCT Island. I tried it with DS but he is a visual rather than an auditory learner and FLL was a very bad "fit". What worked was reading Brian P. Cleary and Ruth Heller books mentioned by a PP and playing Mad Libs.