Menu

Common App - not so common?

MarkT

I went to the Common App website - entered 3 western states where we are looking at colleges (all public) and none of the schools appeared on their search list.

Is that the definitive list or do colleges have to pay to advertise there?

I have found that several schools in the middle (Midwest, but really mean central u.s.) don't use the Common App or just have it as an option. (Edited to add: After looking at the Prep Scholars link posted above, what I say here holds true. And some of the few colleges that are listed as taking it also have their own app available instead of the CA. Truman State's is free, for instance.)

After all the scary threads on here, I'm not sure how I feel about not filling it out. Relieved? Like a cop-out?

Dd still has another year before apps will be started, but people around here have never heard of the common ap.

Edited by RootAnn

After all the scary threads on here, I'm not sure how I feel about not filling it out. Relieved? Like a cop-out?

The Common App changes a bit each year, but the general outlines are a known quantity, and the PDF upload options give plenty of ways to customize how to present a homeschool record.

It looks like we have to do several different application systems this year. I'm not looking forward to it.

Has anyone worked with the Coalition platform yet?

Has anyone worked with the Coalition platform yet?

I tried to last yr and it was a nightmare.  I gave up.  I was extremely thankful that so many schools had bugs that they allowed students to apply with their school specific apps instead.  Last yr was the first yr and I don't think it was ready to be released when they did.  It had so many problems.  Hopefully they have worked them all out by now.

I tried to last yr and it was a nightmare.  I gave up.  I was extremely thankful that so many schools had bugs that they allowed students to apply with their school specific apps instead.  Last yr was the first yr and I don't think it was ready to be released when they did.  It had so many problems.  Hopefully they have worked them all out by now.

Not sure if I even like the Coalition concept (read the website - most colleges have been doing that for decades already) -  I just want something like Common App to save time with answering the same stuff.  

Edited by MarkT