Menu

Unusual hobbies/gifts

greenbeanmama

I'm thinking ahead to Christmas and my husband's birthday. He is a geek by nature, but I like to broaden his horizons a bit, so I get him "unusual" gifts sometimes to spur on new hobbies. Some that he has really enjoyed are a ukulele, sewing machine, and lock picking set. Once he has the basic tools, he really likes researching, watching how-to videos, and essentially teaching himself how to do this new thing...but they aren't things he would ever pick for himself. Does anyone have suggestions for unusual self-taught skills I could interest him in?

Birdwatching

Mounting/spreading butterflies

Wood burning art

Bonsai

Ham radio

Blacksmithing

Yoyo tricks

Stained glass

Cake or cookie decorating

Knot tying

Calligraphy

Whittling

Painting miniatures (like Airfix)

• Like 1

Dollhouses 

Model Trains

Birdwatching

Juggling

Balloon Animals

ETA: My brother likes to do stained glass garden stones. He does traditional stained glass as well, but his garden stones are gorgeous.

Athletic pursuits (if he likes those): Ninja warrior obstacle courses, unicycle

Edited by beckyjo

I'm not sure the name but they are wooden puzzle cubes that can only be taken apart a certain way.

I started our family on a set similar to this one, after a visit to a science museum that sets out trays with challenges. Now we collect them, and I recently got hubby a book on ideas to craft his own:)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/12-Wooden-Puzzles-Set-In-Wooden-Suitcase/188800722?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=3446&adid=22222222228065603641&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=169669905961&wl4=pla-274628516536&wl5=9027500&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=113490045&wl11=online&wl12=188800722&wl13=&veh=sem

• Like 1

Tenkara--this is an exquisite Japanese form of fly fishing that involves elegance and rustic perfection, according to my husband, who has been researching it.

Croquet

Heirloom bread baking (start with "Artisan Baking" or some such)

or Heirloom Cookie Baking (springele, speculas, etc.)

• Like 1

Beer brewing (or root beer if alcohol it's avoided)

My husband is currently teaching himself magic tricks from you tube. The kind he goes for can be done with a plain deck of cards and some coins, so not much to buy, though

• Like 2

Love these ideas.

A few I haven't seen mentioned:

If he's a coffee drinker, bean roasting supplies. You can buy green beans and do the roasting yourself. It's an art.

Did anyone mention beer brewing?

Digital art supplies, like a digital drawing pad to use with software.

• Like 1

Raising mushrooms

carving

painting or modeling miniatures

bookbinding

finding latitude and longitude the old-fashioned way sextant/compass/whatever

paper airplane design

pickled vegetables or make your own hot sauce

dry-stacking rock walls

kite making

harmonica

knife sharpening

foraging

Wow, I wouldn't have thought of many of these!  He also likes 3D printing, painting minis, knife sharpening, puzzles...these are all things he's dabbled in.  I can't believe how many listed that I also have tried!

He might go for ham radio, stained glass, learning Greek, or blacksmithing might be worth looking into!  And a few I'm not sure what they are - off to Google to educate myself.