Menu

Boston must see list?

sangtarah

Top things to see?

How easy is it to see Boston with 4 kids with a single adult? Dh will be available to sight-see only one day out of five. We are driving.

Is the city traffic/parking too crazy for me to attempt going around without another adult? I'm not a brave city gal. I much prefer the country!

I'm especially concerned that I would lose ds!

I lived in/near Boston for a decade.  

I would be hesitant to drive around and park in Boston - it is nerve wracking to drive and expensive to park.  You could easily park on the outskirts and take the commuter rail in.  Or if you are staying in the city, then just use the T to get around; public transportation in Boston is safe, reliable, convenient and easy to figure out.  Also, walking is a great option as long as it isn't the dead of winter.

As for things to do, we are planning to take our kids next fall, and we are going to go whale watching, go on the duck boats, go to the science museum, children's museum and aquarium, walk the Freedom Trail and the Public Garden (they might talk us into the swan boats), probably visit Paul Revere's house, maybe go to Old North Church, plus walk around Northeastern where my husband went to college and MIT where I went (we'll probably stop at the MIT museum).  We'll also just wander around the city a bit; I always found Boston to be a great city - fairly clean and safe, diverse and interesting, full of history and character.

Wendy

• Like 5

Do NOT drive in downtown Boston. Take some form of public transit if you must go there.

I visited there in March and I was only a passenger. Thank goodness. I would've abandoned the car and ran away screaming if I had to drive. The lane markers are "just a suggestion". NOBODY stayed in their lane and there'd be 3 or 4 cars wide on a two lane street. It was crazy!

I can't speak to the rest of the city. I only had a couple hours because I was in town for a conference. Next time, I'll take public transit.

• Like 3

I lived in/near Boston for a decade.  

I would be hesitant to drive around and park in Boston - it is nerve wracking to drive and expensive to park.  You could easily park on the outskirts and take the commuter rail in.  Or if you are staying in the city, then just use the T to get around; public transportation in Boston is safe, reliable, convenient and easy to figure out.  Also, walking is a great option as long as it isn't the dead of winter.

As for things to do, we are planning to take our kids next fall, and we are going to go whale watching, go on the duck boats, go to the science museum, children's museum and aquarium, walk the Freedom Trail and the Public Garden (they might talk us into the swan boats), probably visit Paul Revere's house, maybe go to Old North Church, plus walk around Northeastern where my husband went to college and MIT where I went (we'll probably stop at the MIT museum).  We'll also just wander around the city a bit; I always found Boston to be a great city - fairly clean and safe, diverse and interesting, full of history and character.

Wendy

Dh and I went to Boston on our honeymoon and we did the things that I bolded.  We also went to see the U.S.S. Constitution (the top of dh's list) and Fenway Park (the top of mine).  We did not walk all of the Freedom Trail.  One evening we went on a sunset cruise in the harbor.

IMO, the duck boats are a must -- a really great way to see the city.

And I highly recommend public transportation.  

I don't think driving is bad if You're used to city driving. It helps to have parking paid for in advance.

We went last year and again briefly this year. Last year they were 11, almost 6, and almost 9. This is what we did:

USS Constitution Museum - all 3 kids loved it

Whale Watch tour - all 3 kids loved it. I was seasick.

Science museum - older 2 loved it, youngest tolerated it.

Children's museum - oldest was bored, youngest lived it, middle one tolerated it

Georges Island - did junior ranger badge, they liked it because our tour guide was great

Freedom trail - they liked it

Saugus Iron Works - did the junior ranger badge, it was fine

We parked under Boston Common, which isn't too bad to get to.  It's rough all around the city, though.  I believe the metro extends out to Braintree and other surrounding areas so you may want to park there and ride in.

Must sees...definitely the Freedom Trail.  We just did it last week and it is rather long, but worth it.  Most of the stops are free but donations are welcome.  I did ditch the paper guide in favor of the app, and we chose not to do a tour with a guide because we're better at our own pace. (And for the 7yo, "our own pace" is better with a stop for ice cream. ;) )

We enjoyed the science museum and aquarium quite a bit.  We also went looking for the original Cheers and the set replica (at Faneuil Hall).  The children's museum is great for kids under 6.  And the Tea Party museum will take a chunk out of your day but was loved by all of us. 

Agreeing with everyone else--you do NOT want to drive in the city. Park as far out as you can and take the T in. It really can't be said enough.

Bostonians are very friendly--anyone will help you with acquiring tickets for the T, directions on the street and so on. The T can be crowded; I don't know how easy it will be with a double stroller for your two youngest.

When DS was little we bought tickets for the on and off trolley near Faneuil Hall. It's a great way to see the city and give tired little legs a break (plus we learned a ton!).

We were there for a day last week and used Spothero to find a parking spot and Google got us there and back - but it is not pleasant driving in the city. It was a savings over the $20 each that commuter rail was going to cost, however, so we did it.

The crazy is not confined to city limits though, "use breakdown lane for travel from 3-7" signs on the freeway demonstrate a city that is way behind the traffic curve.

We did the Freedom Trail and I'm embarrassed to admit that it wasn't until we got to the Holocaust Memorial that I realized the trail wasn't all about the Revolution, despite the period-dressed tour guides. Paul Revere house was nice, good docents.

Watch out for the Fake Monk Mafia. An adult in our party got harassed before we saw the warning posters. Typical stuff.

We spent a day at the Museum of Fine Art. They have Passport to Art books for kid activities at the customer information desk. Those were popular with our 8-12 crowd. There are some other things, including sketch chairs. Kids are free outside of school hours (i assume summer time is not school hours?) Your adult entry is good for two visits within 10 days. There was a fire alarm when we were there which was exciting, but presumably that doesn't happen everyday.

Transit system is great. Dunkin' Donuts on every corner.

I am not used to city driving. At all.

Does that make me a bad candidate for Boston driving?

Don't drive in Boston.  

Really, it can be a harrowing experience, and it is completely unnecessary.  The commuter rails and subways are fantastic and fairly family friendly.

Another thing to remember is that many of the tourist destinations and subway stops are, in reality, very close together.  You could have two stops, on two different subways lines, that are in reality only a tenth of a mile apart.  Many a tourist has gotten intimidated trying to get from Point A to Point B on the subway, never realizing that Point A and Point B are practically within sight of each other.

Wendy

• Like 4

I don't think driving is bad if You're used to city driving. It helps to have parking paid for in advance

We went last year and again briefly this year. Last year they were 11, almost 6, and almost 9. This is what we did:

USS Constitution Museum - all 3 kids loved it

Whale Watch tour - all 3 kids loved it. I was seasick.

Science museum - older 2 loved it, youngest tolerated it.

Children's museum - oldest was bored, youngest lived it, middle one tolerated it

Georges Island - did junior ranger badge, they liked it because our tour guide was great

Freedom trail - they liked it

Saugus Iron Works - did the junior ranger badge, it was fine

I live and drive in San Diego and would never drive in Boston in the downtown part.

• Like 2

If you're not comfortable with city driving you probably don't want to drive downtown Boston. It's best with an assertive driver.

A lot of the tourist stuff in Boston is pretty close together. If your kids are good walkers it is possible to walk to everything. The USS Constitution is a bit of a further walk. We walked one way and then took the ferry back.

• Like 3

Also, a friendly tip that for some reason is not often mentioned - kids 11 and under can ride the T for free - this includes the buses and some of the ferries (I think, double-check the ferries) but not the commuter trains. And (I'm not sure your experience with bigger cities) I also think that Boston's T is not as stroller-friendly as DC's Metro or NYC's subways.

The MBTA's website is fairly user-friendly, and if you have any specific questions, ask here. :)

I have spent a fair amount of time in Boston with 4 little ones, and I will be honest, I think it helps to have a plan. That said, Boston is totally worth the effort! If you've read and enjoyed Make Way for Ducklings, you MUST visit Boston Commons, and if you've read The Trumpet of the Swan, please take a swan boat out. :) One of the sweetest and cheapest thrills in the entire city, in my book, particularly for a crowd as little as yours. 

Editing to correct my T fare info: It's 11 and under who ride free, and they are also free on the commuter trains, 2 kids per adult. That's the TECHNICAL info - my personal actual experience is that I have NEVER been charged for a little kid on the commuters (and I ride alone with 4 kids all the time), and I've NEVER had anyone ask for kid-fare cards on the T; they just push them all through the handicapped door while I run my ticket through the regular stile. So realize that the fares listed are the MOST you'd be paying, and probably actually less. 

Can you back-pack your littlest one? 

Edited by Lucy the Valiant
  • Like 2

If you're not comfortable with city driving you probably don't want to drive downtown Boston. It's best with an assertive driver.

A lot of the tourist stuff in Boston is pretty close together. If your kids are good walkers it is possible to walk to everything. The USS Constitution is a bit of a further walk. We walked one way and then took the ferry back.

That is the politest way I have ever heard that put! :lol: 

I grew up in the midwest and moved here right after college . . . let's be honest, you have to be cut-throat, killer-aggressive, willing to cut 'em off and never look sideways, lean-on-the-horn, jump the left turn when you're first in line, nip a curb or two, and squeal into that last parking spot a hair's breath ahead of the 5.2 sweet little old ladies all heading in the exact same direction. :lol:

I seriously think it should be its own classification of driver's license . . . or a video game.

• Like 8

I grew up in the midwest and moved here right after college . . . let's be honest, you have to be cut-throat, killer-aggressive, willing to cut 'em off and never look sideways, lean-on-the-horn, jump the left turn when you're first in line, nip a curb or two, and squeal into that last parking spot a hair's breath ahead of the 5.2 sweet little old ladies all heading in the exact same direction. :lol:

I seriously think it should be its own classification of driver's license . . . or a video game.

Yeah, this about sums up my couple hours of experience. :lol: That was enough for me! :D Edited by fraidycat

We were in Boston earlier this month and we did drive - that is, my husband drove.   :laugh:   It was tolerable but I don't know if I would tackle it myself.  We parked in the Nautica garage by the USS Constitution (which you can do for a low price if you get your ticket stamped at Bunker Hill/USS Constitution, but it's only good for 4 hours).  We also parked under Boston Common.

We did not get the hop on/hop off trolley tickets, but we did a lot of walking!  However, my kids are older (12-17), so it was fine for us.

Things we did:  

* Minuteman National Historic Park visitor center  in Concord/Lexington - they have an excellent multimedia/video presentation about Paul Revere's ride and following events.  

* Fenway Park - great tour, everyone enjoyed it

* Freedom Trail - with a Freedom Trail Foundation guide, who was excellent. 

* We walked the north part of the Freedom Trail without a guide, and stopped at Paul Revere house (small fee to go in there) and Old North Church

* USS Constitution, the destroyer ship that is right there with it, and the USS Constitution Museum.  The museum was excellent, very well designed for kids.

* Bunker Hill  monument & museum - I thought this museum was excellent as well, not as kid-friendly, though

* Old Statehouse museum - this was decent and reasonable priced.  We spent an hour or two there after our Freedom Trail tour

* Faneuil Hall - we did a ranger talk there that was good.  National Park visitor center is on the first floor along with shops.  Quincy Market is also right next to Faneuil Hall.

* If you go to the North End, Mike's Pastry is a must.  Cannoli heaven.  We also went to Bova's Bakery, at the suggestion of our Freedom Trail guide.  So many wonderful sweets!  There are also tons of wonderful Italian restaurants on the North End!

Other activities we considered but didn't have time for; some of these were recommended by friends who were there just a few weeks prior:

* Swan Boats in the Boston Public Garden - these look so fun but we were there at the wrong time of day.  

* Liberty Ride - in Concord/Lexington, trolley that stops at several of the historic sites there. 

* Louisa May Alcott home - also in Lexington; our friends went there and enjoyed it. 

* Charles River Cruise - this was next on my list, but we didn't have time!

* Mary Baker Eddy Library and Mapparium - our friends went there and said the Mapparium was cool

* Plimouth Plantation - this is about an hour south of Boston.  It is pricey, and I have read mixed reviews, so we didn't end up going there.

* Sturbridge Village - this is about an hour or so west of Boston.  It looks really good, and we strongly considered it, but it rained buckets the day we would have gone there - so no outdoor activities!

You might consider doing the things outside of downtown (Lexington/Concord, Plymouth, Sturbridge Village) on the days your husband is unavailable, and do downtown when he can be with you.

Also, since you will be there several days, definitely look into the Go Boston cards.  It's a discount card that gives you admission to a variety of attractions for a certain number of days.  Many of the places I suggested are on the card - it can be a great money saver!

Enjoy your trip!

• Like 1

We were there for a day last week and used Spothero to find a parking spot and Google got us there and back - but it is not pleasant driving in the city. It was a savings over the $20 each that commuter rail was going to cost, however, so we did it.

The crazy is not confined to city limits though, "use breakdown lane for travel from 3-7" signs on the freeway demonstrate a city that is way behind the traffic curve.

We did the Freedom Trail and I'm embarrassed to admit that it wasn't until we got to the Holocaust Memorial that I realized the trail wasn't all about the Revolution, despite the period-dressed tour guides. Paul Revere house was nice, good docents.

Watch out for the Fake Monk Mafia. An adult in our party got harassed before we saw the warning posters. Typical stuff.

We spent a day at the Museum of Fine Art. They have Passport to Art books for kid activities at the customer information desk. Those were popular with our 8-12 crowd. There are some other things, including sketch chairs. Kids are free outside of school hours (i assume summer time is not school hours?) Your adult entry is good for two visits within 10 days. There was a fire alarm when we were there which was exciting, but presumably that doesn't happen everyday.

Transit system is great. Dunkin' Donuts on every corner.

Okay, I need to know what this is. :ohmy:  And what's typical about it?

Don't drive in Boston.  

Really, it can be a harrowing experience, and it is completely unnecessary.  The commuter rails and subways are fantastic and fairly family friendly.

Another thing to remember is that many of the tourist destinations and subway stops are, in reality, very close together.  You could have two stops, on two different subways lines, that are in reality only a tenth of a mile apart.  Many a tourist has gotten intimidated trying to get from Point A to Point B on the subway, never realizing that Point A and Point B are practically within sight of each other.

Wendy

Our hotel is not on a commuter line...I have to drop off dh in the morning, and pick him up (Boston College). So I pretty much can drive and see things, or stay at the pool in the hotel.  :lol:

Also, a friendly tip that for some reason is not often mentioned - kids 11 and under can ride the T for free - this includes the buses and some of the ferries (I think, double-check the ferries) but not the commuter trains. And (I'm not sure your experience with bigger cities) I also think that Boston's T is not as stroller-friendly as DC's Metro or NYC's subways.

The MBTA's website is fairly user-friendly, and if you have any specific questions, ask here. :)

I have spent a fair amount of time in Boston with 4 little ones, and I will be honest, I think it helps to have a plan. That said, Boston is totally worth the effort! If you've read and enjoyed Make Way for Ducklings, you MUST visit Boston Commons, and if you've read The Trumpet of the Swan, please take a swan boat out. :) One of the sweetest and cheapest thrills in the entire city, in my book, particularly for a crowd as little as yours. 

Editing to correct my T fare info: It's 11 and under who ride free, and they are also free on the commuter trains, 2 kids per adult. That's the TECHNICAL info - my personal actual experience is that I have NEVER been charged for a little kid on the commuters (and I ride alone with 4 kids all the time), and I've NEVER had anyone ask for kid-fare cards on the T; they just push them all through the handicapped door while I run my ticket through the regular stile. So realize that the fares listed are the MOST you'd be paying, and probably actually less. 

Can you back-pack your littlest one? 

The Public Gardens are first on my list.  :thumbup:  Also, the baby is always in a Moby Wrap, so the 3 year old is my biggest worry. I have an umbrella-ish (it's a bit bigger) stroller I can take with me. 

Just  :scared: And  :bored: And hopefully I will survive! 

We were in Boston earlier this month and we did drive - that is, my husband drove.   :laugh:   It was tolerable but I don't know if I would tackle it myself.  We parked in the Nautica garage by the USS Constitution (which you can do for a low price if you get your ticket stamped at Bunker Hill/USS Constitution, but it's only good for 4 hours).  We also parked under Boston Common.

We did not get the hop on/hop off trolley tickets, but we did a lot of walking!  However, my kids are older (12-17), so it was fine for us.

Things we did:  

* Minuteman National Historic Park visitor center  in Concord/Lexington - they have an excellent multimedia/video presentation about Paul Revere's ride and following events.  

* Fenway Park - great tour, everyone enjoyed it

* Freedom Trail - with a Freedom Trail Foundation guide, who was excellent. 

* We walked the north part of the Freedom Trail without a guide, and stopped at Paul Revere house (small fee to go in there) and Old North Church

* USS Constitution, the destroyer ship that is right there with it, and the USS Constitution Museum.  The museum was excellent, very well designed for kids.

* Bunker Hill  monument & museum - I thought this museum was excellent as well, not as kid-friendly, though

* Old Statehouse museum - this was decent and reasonable priced.  We spent an hour or two there after our Freedom Trail tour

* Faneuil Hall - we did a ranger talk there that was good.  National Park visitor center is on the first floor along with shops.  Quincy Market is also right next to Faneuil Hall.

* If you go to the North End, Mike's Pastry is a must.  Cannoli heaven.  We also went to Bova's Bakery, at the suggestion of our Freedom Trail guide.  So many wonderful sweets!  There are also tons of wonderful Italian restaurants on the North End!

Other activities we considered but didn't have time for; some of these were recommended by friends who were there just a few weeks prior:

* Swan Boats in the Boston Public Garden - these look so fun but we were there at the wrong time of day.  

* Liberty Ride - in Concord/Lexington, trolley that stops at several of the historic sites there. 

* Louisa May Alcott home - also in Lexington; our friends went there and enjoyed it. 

* Charles River Cruise - this was next on my list, but we didn't have time!

* Mary Baker Eddy Library and Mapparium - our friends went there and said the Mapparium was cool

* Plimouth Plantation - this is about an hour south of Boston.  It is pricey, and I have read mixed reviews, so we didn't end up going there.

* Sturbridge Village - this is about an hour or so west of Boston.  It looks really good, and we strongly considered it, but it rained buckets the day we would have gone there - so no outdoor activities!

You might consider doing the things outside of downtown (Lexington/Concord, Plymouth, Sturbridge Village) on the days your husband is unavailable, and do downtown when he can be with you.

Also, since you will be there several days, definitely look into the Go Boston cards.  It's a discount card that gives you admission to a variety of attractions for a certain number of days.  Many of the places I suggested are on the card - it can be a great money saver!

Enjoy your trip!

It's a great idea to do the things outside of Boston...but I have a time window. I have to drop off/pick up dh, so I don't want to go too far and get stuck in traffic somewhere...I'll have to see how far a drive it is to those things. 

SO, if I try to navigate around without getting on the highways, would that be any better?

• Like 1

Boston College is directly on the green line.

It might be easiest to drive from your hotel to the closest T and take the train in.

We easily walk from Boston College to the Public Gardens, Faneuil Hall, etc but it might be too much for your kids. Boston is surprisingly small and compact though, and taking the T is easy. Driving and parking really are not.

• Like 4

If you can give a general idea of where you are staying, someone might be able to help with specifics. Not sure what you mean by avoiding the highways--do you mean are local roads easier? Because no, no they are not. Depending where you are going, what time of day, and how long you want it to take (and if you are planning on finding parking).

• Like 1

It's a great idea to do the things outside of Boston...but I have a time window. I have to drop off/pick up dh, so I don't want to go too far and get stuck in traffic somewhere...I'll have to see how far a drive it is to those things. 

SO, if I try to navigate around without getting on the highways, would that be any better?

The highways are actually pretty manageable (though often very slow during rush hours), it is the downtown and side streets that you want to avoid.

If you are already going to be at Boston College, then is there any way you could just park somewhere on campus and take the T from there?  That is right at the end of the green line, so that would be an easy, cheap way for you and the kids to get in and around the city.

Wendy

• Like 2

MEmama,

The green line is undergoing construction the week we are there, so we would have to get off and load onto buses in several places, I think. Not sure I can manage getting off/on and off/on, etc. But I will definitely check out the distance from the College to the Gardens. My kids aren't used to walking, but it may work.

Fake Monk Mafia - at least three people dressed in the store of generically Asian monks who walk up, give you a based bracelet and then demands $5 for it. It's a pretty common tourist scam thing, but somebody was upset enough to print and post warning posters which we came across later.

I can't imagine they would need with a mom and kids, they are looking for money.

(Last week I understood the USS Constitution to be closed for repair, so check first if it is on your itinerary. Coincidentally same for the Mayflower replica if you decide to visit Plymouth Rock, which is free and outside of the Plantation, but really just a big rock you can't touch do not much fun for kids)

MEmama,

The green line is undergoing construction the week we are there, so we would have to get off and load onto buses in several places, I think. Not sure I can manage getting off/on and off/on, etc. But I will definitely check out the distance from the College to the Gardens. My kids aren't used to walking, but it may work.

From what I am seeing, only the Green Line B train is diverting onto shuttle buses.  That just means that you guys need to get on one of the other Green Line branches.

I think Chestnut Hill (not to be confused with Chestnut Hill Ave.) would be the closest to Boston College.  It is about 3/4 of a mile away (depending where on campus you are), and it is a Green Line D stop which would take you right into the city without the need for buses.

Wendy

• Like 1

Rather than driving, I would consider getting an Uber to take you around.  As others have said, driving in Boston can be a nightmare and finding a parking spot at your destination can also be a challenge. 

When we visit Boston, many times we get an Uber when we want to go sightseeing, leaving our car at the hotel.  An Uber is much easier than driving ourselves, and by the time we would pay for parking, probably a wash as far as cost goes. 

I am not used to city driving. At all.

Does that make me a bad candidate for Boston driving?

Yes. Very difficult city to drive in. Park on the outskirts and use public transport. Or have your husband drive to the hotel, park the car and don't get back into it until it's time to head home. Public transport is easy, inexpensive and clean.

• Like 1

Stroller hint: If you have one with larger tires, they are MUCH easier than typical umbrella-style with small wheels, especially on cobblestones.

The USS Constitution is out of dry-dock but not open for tours until the end of August / first of September, I heard today on the radio. You can stand on the Charlestown Navy Yards where you can SEE the ship, and the museum nearby is actually VERY kid-friendly and one of our favorites. And if you have any military-interested kids, there's a navy destroyer docked right there, too, that is free and open to the public (and if you can find one of the Navy vets nearby, you'll get a FANTASTIC tour). 

Also, if you are staying in a hotel, ask if they have a shuttle to the T - many of them do. Your husband could take that, and you could, too - and just leave the vehicle at the hotel. If your kids are anything like mine, they'll be excited to use all the various modes of transportation. 

The suggestion to do things OUTSIDE of the city when you're on your own is an excellent idea - Concord & Lexington (for instance) are "Boston-ish" but have MUCH easier traffic & parking, etc. Drive there for sure, and let your hubby take the T. Does your 5th grader enjoy history? Science? There are several national parks in the greater Boston area, and most of them have excellent tours - junior ranger programs, etc., and the parks are designed for kids, by and large. 

There is a traffic-significant bridge (Comm Ave, by BU) that is undergoing repairs for a couple of weeks that will make congestion worse in that area, depending on when you're coming; it is supposed to be done August 14, in case you're coming soon.

Honestly, there are SO MANY AWESOME things to see and know and do in Boston that I just know you are going to have a GREAT time! Pack snacks, make a plan, and HAVE FUN! I can't wait to hear what you settled on!

• Like 1

We just went to Boston for the first time last May. Dh has driven in several big cities and is a *"professional driver" ( :001_rolleyes: -he likes to point this out  :lol:). Despite this, dh found driving in Boston to be frustrating. Parking is equally difficult to the driving. He handled the whole thing skillfully (in my opinion), but he thinks that next time he would like to avoid it entirely!

* He has a commercial license. He is also the safety driver trainer for the dept. of Traffic Engineering in our city in addition to his regular work. Traffic organization is his thing, and he complained about Boston's design and handling of traffic the whole time! We even had to stop once so he could take a picture of an intersection (just so he could complain some more to people back home  :lol: ). He's a nut, but I'm glad he was driving and not me!

We bought the City Pass with the tickets for the Science Museum, Aquarium, Historic Boat tour-cruise, and the skyline view (Prudential building). All of these were great.

Also, if you drive, take note of your GPS or phone's connection. Every time we went into a tunnel, it lost satellite reception. That wouldn't be such a big deal elsewhere maybe, but there are exits in their tunnels. Know what lane or exit you need as you head in.

• Like 1

We had a fantastic field trip to Boston when my son was 8. There are a lot of super educational things to do but you know what? In your situation, I would go to the science museum, ride the duck and walk in the park that has the swan boats and ride them.

If you want to be more educational, tie into the national parks junior ranger programs and let that be your guide.

The science museum is wonderful--we hit four that year and Boston 's was the best. And the duck is totally fun.

Go!  I'd do public transportation.  Have your 5th grader hold hands with your 3-year-old, and you can be with your 2nd grader and have your one-month old in a backpack.  I have found it an easy city to navigate (in the daytime).  It doesn't feel overwhelming at all, and it feels safe.  With your kids' ages, the Duck Tour would be fun.  Also, the Public Garden (you can see the "Make Way for Ducklings" statues), and the Freedom Trail.  

• Like 2

I agree with everyone else - don't drive in the city unless you are used to crazy city traffic (which you said you are not).

That being said, I will be the dissenting voice and say that even though Boston is great I don't know how much fun you will have running around the city with four small kids on your own and using public transportation. I rarely drive and use public transportation all the time. I also travel alone with my kids. I have gone on trips alone with two small kids and it was fine but two more would definitely be difficult. Of course you know your own kids best and it does depend a bit on how responsible they are but all in all it sounds like it would be quite stressful.

Is there any way to leave a couple of the kids at home? It would be much easier with just two (or maybe three) and it could be a great way to do something just with your oldest for example (I assume you'd take the baby as well of course).

Or is there any way to change hotels to one in a more convenient location (probably not but you never know).

If that is not possible, I would probably do the Science Museum one day as I assume they have parking there. Also, inside the museum is just a more contained area so it would be better with four kids, especially if they are not used to being in big cities.

The other days I would think about doing something fun outside the city. Ideas might be Plymouth plantation, Old Sturbridge Village, a beach somewhere... Driving there shouldn't be a problem (I have done it so anyone can). I know you said you have to pick up your husband at a specific time but unless his days are really short it should still work (or maybe he could get an Uber or something). Then I would do some of the city sights on the day when your husband has time.

If you can give a general idea of where you are staying, someone might be able to help with specifics. Not sure what you mean by avoiding the highways--do you mean are local roads easier? Because no, no they are not. Depending where you are going, what time of day, and how long you want it to take (and if you are planning on finding parking).

Watertown, I think.

The highways are actually pretty manageable (though often very slow during rush hours), it is the downtown and side streets that you want to avoid.

If you are already going to be at Boston College, then is there any way you could just park somewhere on campus and take the T from there?  That is right at the end of the green line, so that would be an easy, cheap way for you and the kids to get in and around the city.

Wendy

Thanks, I will look into the T again.

Fake Monk Mafia - at least three people dressed in the store of generically Asian monks who walk up, give you a based bracelet and then demands $5 for it. It's a pretty common tourist scam thing, but somebody was upset enough to print and post warning posters which we came across later.

I can't imagine they would need with a mom and kids, they are looking for money.

(Last week I understood the USS Constitution to be closed for repair, so check first if it is on your itinerary. Coincidentally same for the Mayflower replica if you decide to visit Plymouth Rock, which is free and outside of the Plantation, but really just a big rock you can't touch do not much fun for kids)

We toured the ship via google maps. So sad that we can't go on it!

From what I am seeing, only the Green Line B train is diverting onto shuttle buses.  That just means that you guys need to get on one of the other Green Line branches.

I think Chestnut Hill (not to be confused with Chestnut Hill Ave.) would be the closest to Boston College.  It is about 3/4 of a mile away (depending where on campus you are), and it is a Green Line D stop which would take you right into the city without the need for buses.

Wendy

Woohoo! I will definitely try it.

Stroller hint: If you have one with larger tires, they are MUCH easier than typical umbrella-style with small wheels, especially on cobblestones.

The USS Constitution is out of dry-dock but not open for tours until the end of August / first of September, I heard today on the radio. You can stand on the Charlestown Navy Yards where you can SEE the ship, and the museum nearby is actually VERY kid-friendly and one of our favorites. And if you have any military-interested kids, there's a navy destroyer docked right there, too, that is free and open to the public (and if you can find one of the Navy vets nearby, you'll get a FANTASTIC tour). 

Also, if you are staying in a hotel, ask if they have a shuttle to the T - many of them do. Your husband could take that, and you could, too - and just leave the vehicle at the hotel. If your kids are anything like mine, they'll be excited to use all the various modes of transportation. 

The suggestion to do things OUTSIDE of the city when you're on your own is an excellent idea - Concord & Lexington (for instance) are "Boston-ish" but have MUCH easier traffic & parking, etc. Drive there for sure, and let your hubby take the T. Does your 5th grader enjoy history? Science? There are several national parks in the greater Boston area, and most of them have excellent tours - junior ranger programs, etc., and the parks are designed for kids, by and large. 

There is a traffic-significant bridge (Comm Ave, by BU) that is undergoing repairs for a couple of weeks that will make congestion worse in that area, depending on when you're coming; it is supposed to be done August 14, in case you're coming soon.

Honestly, there are SO MANY AWESOME things to see and know and do in Boston that I just know you are going to have a GREAT time! Pack snacks, make a plan, and HAVE FUN! I can't wait to hear what you settled on!

Thanks! 

We just went to Boston for the first time last May. Dh has driven in several big cities and is a *"professional driver" ( :001_rolleyes: -he likes to point this out  :lol:). Despite this, dh found driving in Boston to be frustrating. Parking is equally difficult to the driving. He handled the whole thing skillfully (in my opinion), but he thinks that next time he would like to avoid it entirely!

* He has a commercial license. He is also the safety driver trainer for the dept. of Traffic Engineering in our city in addition to his regular work. Traffic organization is his thing, and he complained about Boston's design and handling of traffic the whole time! We even had to stop once so he could take a picture of an intersection (just so he could complain some more to people back home  :lol: ). He's a nut, but I'm glad he was driving and not me!

We bought the City Pass with the tickets for the Science Museum, Aquarium, Historic Boat tour-cruise, and the skyline view (Prudential building). All of these were great.

Also, if you drive, take note of your GPS or phone's connection. Every time we went into a tunnel, it lost satellite reception. That wouldn't be such a big deal elsewhere maybe, but there are exits in their tunnels. Know what lane or exit you need as you head in.

Thank you! Great to know! 

I agree with everyone else - don't drive in the city unless you are used to crazy city traffic (which you said you are not).

That being said, I will be the dissenting voice and say that even though Boston is great I don't know how much fun you will have running around the city with four small kids on your own and using public transportation. I rarely drive and use public transportation all the time. I also travel alone with my kids. I have gone on trips alone with two small kids and it was fine but two more would definitely be difficult. Of course you know your own kids best and it does depend a bit on how responsible they are but all in all it sounds like it would be quite stressful.

Is there any way to leave a couple of the kids at home? It would be much easier with just two (or maybe three) and it could be a great way to do something just with your oldest for example (I assume you'd take the baby as well of course).

Or is there any way to change hotels to one in a more convenient location (probably not but you never know).

If that is not possible, I would probably do the Science Museum one day as I assume they have parking there. Also, inside the museum is just a more contained area so it would be better with four kids, especially if they are not used to being in big cities.

The other days I would think about doing something fun outside the city. Ideas might be Plymouth plantation, Old Sturbridge Village, a beach somewhere... Driving there shouldn't be a problem (I have done it so anyone can). I know you said you have to pick up your husband at a specific time but unless his days are really short it should still work (or maybe he could get an Uber or something). Then I would do some of the city sights on the day when your husband has time.

Nope, all kids must go! But we'll try the T out and if it's terrible, we won't do it again, I guess. Here's hoping that I don't lose anyone!  :lol:

• Like 1

Old Sturbridge Village which many people have suggested is an excellent recommendation. It's not too far, driving out there isn't difficult, and the kids will really enjoy it. Bring cash with you for the toll roads.

When I'm traveling with the kids but not my husband, my eldest two children must stay together and walk in front of me. Usually they hold hands. My youngest holds my hand. This allows me to know where they are or at least only need to look around for one unit.

The USS Constitution is not the highlight of the USS Constitution Museum. Don't skip it just because you can't get on the ship. There is a lot of stuff inside the museum that is much more interesting.

Depending where you are staying in Watertown, Alewife station might be a good place to catch the T. Or, you can **try** to park your car for the day in a lot near MIT in neighbouring Cambridge (get there early. It's cheap and safe) and take the T from there. Boston is so compact it might just be easier to walk--it's not far from MIT, for example to the Public Gardens, and from there to the Freedom Trail stuff.

I think the T is a good choice, but there is one thing to remember if you are going to be boarding toward the end of one of the green line branches.  Most of the green line eschews the whole "sub" part of subway and is actually above ground.  This is great, because it allows you to see a lot of the city from the train, but it does make strollers a bit more difficult.  Boarding the train will require climbing up a couple steps.  You can still take strollers on, but you'll want to have the kiddo out and the stroller collapsed when the train comes so you can easily carry it on.

Wendy

Okay, so I vote one of you experienced Bostonians volunteers to play tour guide for us!

Ă°Å¸ËœĂ°Å¸â€˜Ă°Å¸Â»

:lol: Gladly would but I'm going to be out of town for a while.

It's really not that hard once you park.  The metro lines are pretty easy to follow, and while the streets are....well, they are very much what you would expect in a 350+ year old town, a gps will help you get around. :)

One more thing your kids might like - outside the old North Church there is a printer/chocolate shop (across the way from the war memorial with all the dog tags I believe).  The printer is making copies of the Declaration and has quite an interesting story he tells about how it came to be.  Even my tired child was enthralled (something that didn't pique his attention at Williamsburg, even).  In the next room is a chocolate demonstration that was nice, too, but the smell of chocolate on a hot summer day was too much for me to stay long.

The Freedom Trail can be done in sections...that's how we did it.  My son was 8 and I about walked his feet off.  I wish I had taken one more day to do it rather than pushing as hard as I did.  He was a good walker...but it was a lot of time on our feet.  There's a Junior Ranger Badge (or something similar) for this that is a motivator for this age group.

If you drop off your Dh at BC, you can get to the C or D lines fairly easily, and the ride on those lines is much faster than the B line even when it is running normally. There are lots of parking restrictions in the area though. Your safest bet would probably be to park at one of the D line train stations with a pay lot such as Chestnut Hill.

On the other hand, if you actually want to drive in closer, I can give you fairly straightforward directions for some of the milder routes into town. I drive into the city all the time from BC, no big deal, but I know where I am going and where to park. You might feel comfortable on route 9, which runs pretty much parallel to the D line.

Note that if you drive into the city, you are still going to want to just park it in a garage and leave it, and it can be pricy.

It might be worth it for you to get a day or week mbta train pass. Check their website.

If you do want a walking tour, maybe look into "Boston by little feet." My mom used to do tours for them.

If you want a trolley tour, the Duck boats are a nice splurge. (Not to be confused with the swan boats, which are also worth doing). The duck boats leave from either the museum of science, or from the prudential center. If dh has only one day to be a tourist, that your might be a good way for him to get a condensed view of Boston.

There are so many worthwhile attractions; what are you and the kids interested in doing and seeing?

I will warn against trying the aquarium without dh. I swear the layout is made for losing kids: heavy crowds, converging ramps going all over the place, dark halls, and a loud chorus of penguins.

I'm happy to report that we had a great week in Boston! 

I even drove around the city! (A little. And I was really frustrated.)  :lol:

Thank you for all the suggestions and advice!

We took the Liberty Ride bus tour around Lexington/Concord, visited the Museum of Fine Arts (amazing!), drove to Plymouth, visited the Museum of Science (also amazing), and walked the Freedom Trail. It was tiring, but good! I hope we can go back to see everything that we missed. 

• Like 5

Do NOT drive in downtown Boston. Take some form of public transit if you must go there.

I visited there in March and I was only a passenger. Thank goodness. I would've abandoned the car and ran away screaming if I had to drive. The lane markers are "just a suggestion". NOBODY stayed in their lane and there'd be 3 or 4 cars wide on a two lane street. It was crazy!

I can't speak to the rest of the city. I only had a couple hours because I was in town for a conference. Next time, I'll take public transit.

I've lived just outside Boston with a car for over 10 years now, and I avoid driving around downtown Boston. Alewife (red line) and Wellington (orange line) are two good T stops to park at, but if you do want to drive all the way in (I often do) the Boston Common garage is pricy but very centrally located. You'll pop up right by the Frog Pond and playground, and across the street from the Swan Boats and Make Way for Ducklings statue. A few blocks one way is Copley Square, and a few blocks the other way you can see Chinatown and Fanueil Hall and the theater district. There are several garages around Faneuil Hall, but that area is much easier to get lost in driving, and GPS seems to get easily confused, too. The Boston Common is right at the edge of Back Bay, which is the one part of the city with a proper grid street pattern. I will say, driving around here takes a certain level of nerve, which I've had to meld with my Midwestern upbringing...

I haven't read all the replies, but also be sure to check out Cambridge if you have time. If your kids need a playground break, Cambridge Common adjacent to Harvard Square (red line) has a fantastic playground.

If you're visiting during the school year, the Museum of Fine Arts has a great program on Friday mornings (and some afternoons) for homeschoolers ages 3 to high school. It's a nice way to see some of the museum without getting overwhelmed (and it's $9 per class, and gets an adult in, which is a good deal). The museum has parking, too, and is a few miles from downtown. It's also on the green line, so easy enough to get to if you're using public transportation.

Nope, all kids must go! But we'll try the T out and if it's terrible, we won't do it again, I guess. Here's hoping that I don't lose anyone!  :lol:

You'll love it!  And it's a compact city... as others have said, you can easily hit a lot of the city by foot.  

You can also jaywalk to your heart's content.   :hat:  (One of the many many reasons driving is so harrowing...)

Enjoy your trip! 

I'm happy to report that we had a great week in Boston! 

I even drove around the city! (A little. And I was really frustrated.)  :lol:

Thank you for all the suggestions and advice!

We took the Liberty Ride bus tour around Lexington/Concord, visited the Museum of Fine Arts (amazing!), drove to Plymouth, visited the Museum of Science (also amazing), and walked the Freedom Trail. It was tiring, but good! I hope we can go back to see everything that we missed. 

Ooops!  I posted a bit late.  So glad you had a great time!