Menu

Silicon Valley and Bay Area folks! Update: List from Second drop off made 8/26 PM

Carol in Cal.

I want to get rid of my homeschooling  stuff, but I don't want to just toss it or donate it to the thrift store where no one will ever find it again.  Instead my fondest wish would be to place it in the hands of others who actually might use it, whether they actually do or not.

I am thinking of posting things in a thread that are FREE for the taking.  Pick up near Santa Clara University or at a Little Free Library near the Tamian station.  Is anyone in the area remotely interested in this or am I wasting my time?

This would mostly be misc. curriculum stuff.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 2

Hey, that's where I used to live! I've driven on El Camino Real many times.  :)​ 

If you're not able to find any takers, I feel pretty good about donating books to Better World Books. They have a homeschooling section on their website and they donate much of what they don't sell. "Because we believe that most every book has lasting value and the potential to help change the world, we see our job as helping to find new homes for unwanted books. Thus far, we’ve donated over 21 million books to partner programs around the world. Our three primary literacy partners are Books for Africa, Room to Read, and the National Center for Families Learning."

It looks like they have a drop box in Fremont--not sure if that's too far for you.

Edited by MercyA

Hey, that's where I used to live! I've driven on El Camino Real many times.  :)​ 

If you're not able to find any takers, I feel pretty good about donating books to Better World Books. They have a homeschooling section on their website and they donate much of what they don't sell. "Because we believe that most every book has lasting value and the potential to help change the world, we see our job as helping to find new homes for unwanted books. Thus far, we’ve donated over 21 million books to partner programs around the world. Our three primary literacy partners are Books for Africa, Room to Read, and the National Center for Families Learning."

It looks like they have a drop box in Fremont--not sure if that's too far for you.

Nice to know, thanks!

I have looked at the African Library Project, which was started by friends of mine, but they don't want the kind of thing I have.

It looks like Books For Africa would, though.  I had not heard of them before.

• Like 1

What books are you letting go? Do you want to post a list on this thread? I was at SJSU friends of the library bookstore and the curriculum is usually grab up during their sidewalk sales day. Even on a normal day, the prices are very affordable for people to buy. I think it is $2 for softcover and $3 for hardcover. So if you have no takers, donating to SJSU friends of the library bookstore would work.

"Friends of the King Library

BOOK SALE

DATES AND TIMES:

Saturday, 10 am to 5 pm

Prices: hardcover books are $1.00, paperbacks are $0.50 (Sale includes records, media, art, games and more.)

Sunday, 1 pm to 5 pm

Prices: $5 per bag of books. (Fill a bag with books for $5 - bags are provided. You can also purchase books individually.) "

OK, first batch dropped off.  These are at the Little Free Library on Minnesota Avenue, just east of Lincoln Avenue, same side of the street as Starbucks but beyond it, in San Jose, 95125.

1.  Hardcover with dustjacket of "The Creators" by Daniel Boorstein:  https://www.amazon.com/Creators-History-Heroes-Imagination/dp/0679743758/ref=pd_sim_14_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0679743758&pd_rd_r=VCDD6JHDCJEDD3DFA0R3&pd_rd_w=oK9Xg&pd_rd_wg=fNswN&psc=1&refRID=VCDD6JHDCJEDD3DFA0R3

2.  Three 'Twilight' large size trade paperbacks--Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse  (blush.  But DD did read this, and does want to unload them.  And they are in very good shape.)

I also noticed a Harvard Press book about the history of the Monroe Doctrine that might be an excellent living book for a high school student.

AND!  

In the parking strip in front of the same building is a free Healthrider--looks to be in really good shape.  This is similar to a rowing machine but much smoother and with more variations of workouts available.  There is a video that goes with it hanging from the handlebar.  I hope someone gets this--it's a very good, solid home workout machine.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Second batch going in today--same Little Free Library.

Should be there by 5PM.

Homeschooling 'Background' books:

Homeschooling the Challenging Child (basically brand new)

Trust the Children--An activity guide for homeschooling and alternative learning

Homeschooling for Excellence (Colfax)

Educating the Whole Hearted Child (Clarksons)

The Unschooling Handbook

The Homeschooling Handbook (basically brand new)

What your 1st Grader Needs To Know

Writing from Home-A portfolio of homeschooled student writing (Richman)

The High School Handbook (Schofield)  (CHEP)  (Basically brand new)

Did you try listing on Craigslist?  That's what we're doing later this month, combining with a yardsale but posting the homeschool items specifically.

Nope, but I have tried various 'free' sites and always get a flurry of interest but no follow through.  I can't imagine that Craigslist would be any different.  So I'm doing this instead.  It gets these out of my hair and hopefully who ever takes them either really wants them or has the time to sell them one at a time on Amazon or Ebay, either of which is just fine with me.

• Like 1