Menu

Help with Understanding Literature/Writing in High School

I need some help as I'm getting quite confused.  For 9th grade I'm trying to figure out what my dd will need for English 9.  I will keep her doing some grammar (R&S or Analytical Grammar).

Now, I'm trying to understand writing (structure, etc) and literature analysis, etc.

What are the components I need?  If my dd is getting her literature list from Biblioplan, does she need more, like Windows to the World for literature analysis?  Just read the BP books and do more with WttW?  Add in Teaching the Classics?

Or do we just do a writing program like WWS 2 (or can she skip and do 3?)?  Or Elegant Essay?  Maybe CAP Writing and Rhetoric?  That is comparable to WWS?

I see things like Excellence in Literature, etc.  I'm just not sure on what I would actually need.  Yes, she still needs guidance with writing skills.  Yes, I would like her to be strong in literature analysis.  

Hope this question makes sense.  There are so many choices but then different components to the choices.  

I also have Editor in Chief for her to work on (she wants to do some editing when older, etc.)

So, there is writing, literature analysis, vocab, grammar, actual literature reading, etc.  

You don't have to do every sub-topic every year. English 9 is a good time to focus on shoring up grammar and writing if you can, and you don't have to do both every day ( you could alternate, or do a semester of each, or do units depending on what your student needs). That and discussing the BP lit could be plenty. Aim for about an hour per day on LA topics and choose what you want to focus on. You don't need 4 years of "lit analysis" (though I'd keep her reading great books all 4 years)--you can focus more on lit. analysis some years, more on composition other years, probably a semester of speech in there sometime, and so on. 

I used to use a couple of free guides each year to focus more closely and guide our discussions on some books, and then for other books we just talked about what interested us. One year I did a specific focus on lit. analysis. Most years I had a composition component (because my kids needed that), one year I did a grammar unit...you can do whatever combination of topics your student needs or would benefit from. 

• Like 2

On 7/27/2017 at 3:55 PM, LAmom said:

I need some help as I'm getting quite confused.  For 9th grade I'm trying to figure out what my dd will need for English 9.  I will keep her doing some grammar (R&S or Analytical Grammar).

Now, I'm trying to understand writing (structure, etc) and literature analysis, etc.

What are the components I need?  If my dd is getting her literature list from Biblioplan, does she need more, like Windows to the World for literature analysis?  Just read the BP books and do more with WttW?  Add in Teaching the Classics?

Or do we just do a writing program like WWS 2 (or can she skip and do 3?)?  Or Elegant Essay?  Maybe CAP Writing and Rhetoric?  That is comparable to WWS?

I see things like Excellence in Literature, etc.  I'm just not sure on what I would actually need.  Yes, she still needs guidance with writing skills.  Yes, I would like her to be strong in literature analysis.  

Hope this question makes sense.  There are so many choices but then different components to the choices.  

I also have Editor in Chief for her to work on (she wants to do some editing when older, etc.)

So, there is writing, literature analysis, vocab, grammar, actual literature reading, etc.  

Each year of high school English is generally assumed to be a semester of literature and a semester of composition (maybe with grammar). Some schools alternate lit and comp, some do a whole semester of each. Some homeschoolers do two years of composition, then two years of literature, which works out the same as a semester of each, each year.

There's a boatload of writing in R&S's English series. You really don't need to add anything else. Then you could just add literature, which could be as simple as adding something like Progeny Press study guides.

Edited by Ellie
  • Like 2

I really love using Sharon Watson's The Power in Your Hands for teaching all aspects of expository writing. This is a solid resource that is very easy to use and adapt. It does give proofreading tips too....

https://writingwithsharonwatson.com/the-power-in-your-hands/

This is not a grammar course. If you student needs grammar review. Analytical Grammar is my top choice. The author has  a few schedules for doing the book in one year, two years, or three years.

You might want to check your state requirements to see if your student needs to take grammar. If the understanding is solid, you might be able to skip a formal grammar and use a good writing text so to apply the grammar. But if your student is even a little shaky, AG will clarify everything. It is thorough and easy to use. It is not pretty or colorful, but very functional.

Edited by Pistachio mom