Menu

College semester abroad - any concerns with having been homeschooled?

klmama

I can't see it being an issue.  How would the visa authorities know?  The student would get her visa based on being accepted into an academic programme in the host country, and the qualification for that would be vouched for by the home institution.

Now if it were applying for a full degree at an overseas university with a mummy transcript alone - that might well be a problem.   But not a semester abroad. 

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 5

I don't know about getting a visa, but I have heard that colleges in Germany want to see a high school diploma in order to be admitted.  The person I heard this from did some sort of graduate work in Germany and was surprised that they even cared about her high school diploma since she had a college degree.  This happened probably 20+ years ago.

This should be a non-issue. It sounds like the foreign college is hosting students from an American college. Is that correct? They're not going to be remotely interested in the American colleges' admission policies or any of the students' high school careers. Why would it even come up, or matter if it did?

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 2

I think I'd heard about the problem with German colleges - and maybe for work visas, too?  I'm not sure.  I just want to be sure, as there are different programs heading different places.  

It would only be a problem if your DC were applying to the foreign college straight from being homeschooled, but that's not what's happening.  Your DC will be an American college student, not a homeschooler.

I'll agree with everyone else.  I can't see it being a problem for a semester abroad type program.  Maaybe if she were applying directly to the university to get a degree from them.  But if they're not granting the diploma (just transfer credits), I don't think they'll give a hoot.

My dd is doing a summer in Spain right now, and the question didn't even come up.

My son got a scholarship from the German government to do summer research in Germany. The international office at the university in Germany encouraged him to apply to be a student, even though the scholarship didn't require it, as he could then live in cheap student housing and his student card would provide free public transportation for the entire region, plus other perks. There was no issue with him being homeschooled for high school.

Concurring with the others.  My eldest daughter studied her entire junior year (in college) in Germany.  Your child with be a college student, not a homeschooled student at that point.  

Probably more important is to research how many of the students actually go abroad for a semester, the number of different plans and options for various majors, and what kind of financial help is available.  Just because the college *says* it has programs for overseas studies doesn't mean the college handles it well.

• Like 1