Menu

Outsourcing Writing for a STEM Kid: WWS2 at WTMA vs. CTY's Sequence

DS will be in 6th and I'm not happy with where he is in terms of essay writing. He has finished WWS1, Paragraph Writing Made Easy, EPS The Paragraph Book Series, MCT Paragraph Town, and Killgallon Sentence Composing for Elementary.

Oldest DD was ready for Lively Art of Writing after WWS1 (which was good since only the 1st book in the WWS series was available then). DS is nowhere near ready for LAoW.

WWS2 looks good but I am not sure how well it translates to being able to write the kinds of essays that he would need either in a B&M school or something like Stanford OHS.

CTY's sequence looks more traditional but is a lot more expensive. We will have charter school funds but if we did CTY writing, we would not have much left over for anything else.

My oldest did CTY's Crafting the essay which suits his needs as he prefers structured/rigid programs with clear guidelines. He did it in 6th grade. The teacher's feedback was okay but more feedback would have been better for my kid. Since he is a reluctant writer, any writing class that he finished all assignments properly and on time was already enough to make us pay up. Since you are thinking of using charter funds, I would look for something less costly. Neither my husband nor I can teach writing so we were prepared to have to pay up for a course or a tutor.

http://cty.jhu.edu/ctyonline/courses/arts_humanities/crafting_essay_all.html

DS will be in 6th and I'm not happy with where he is in terms of essay writing. He has finished WWS1, Paragraph Writing Made Easy, EPS The Paragraph Book Series, MCT Paragraph Town, and Killgallon Sentence Composing for Elementary.

Oldest DD was ready for Lively Art of Writing after WWS1 (which was good since only the 1st book in the WWS series was available then). DS is nowhere near ready for LAoW.

WWS2 looks good but I am not sure how well it translates to being able to write the kinds of essays that he would need either in a B&M school or something like Stanford OHS.

CTY's sequence looks more traditional but is a lot more expensive. We will have charter school funds but if we did CTY writing, we would not have much left over for anything else.

I found that Write at Home provided much more/better feedback and improved my kid's writing much more than CTY Crafting the Essay.  (I didn't use CTY beyond this class because I liked Write at Home much better.)  Write at Home is also much less expensive than CTY.

• Like 1