Menu

Nurses: Best stores/websites to buy shoes

mom31257

While Sanita clogs or Danskos are sometimes a point of disagreement among nurses, I wear them and am mostly happy with them. They sell all-white models. I bought my student white clogs secondhand (ebay), which could help save some money.

I've also seen students wearing white Sketchers, although mesh might be harder to avoid with those. 

While Sanita clogs or Danskos are sometimes a point of disagreement among nurses, I wear them and am mostly happy with them. They sell all-white models. I bought my student white clogs secondhand (ebay), which could help save some money.

I've also seen students wearing white Sketchers, although mesh might be harder to avoid with those. 

I had some Skechers and found them to be very comfortable...until they weren't and that wasn't a very long time.  The soles were too thin and I felt every bump in the floor, and they were not supportive in situations where I was on my feet a lot.  But then again, I am not young like a nursing student would be, so it might be OK  for awhile.

Sanitas is the original maker of Danskos; they sold the name but the shoes are not the same ones that earned the reputation.  Sanitas is the brand you want to look for, and they tend to be cheaper.  However, because they are handmade, they vary slightly from pair to pair.  I tried on 5 pairs of the exact same model in the exact same size before I found a pair that worked on my feet.  

I know shoes cost a lot, especially special-use shoes.  But I've found over my life that better shoes are cheaper in the long run.  My "cheap" Skechers were $50.  They lasted 1.5 years, and my feet hurt toward the end of that run.  My $250 walking shoes, those I have had for 12 years, and they are going strong, and have taken a lot more beating than the cheap shoes did.  And my feet don't hurt.  

Good luck to your daughter!  It's so cool to start a new adventure.  :0)

I bought my Danskos for nursing school off ebay. I tried them on in the store first then looked online for a great deal. Super comfortable and a great price. I plan on buying a new (not white) pair for work, and their so comfortable I'm even willing to pay full price.

Don't worry about going all-out on shoes for nursing school. Clinicals are rarely as long as normal shifts (except perhaps the last semester), so having absolutely ergonomically ideal shoes isn't quite as important. And chances are she'll want to dump the all-white shoe the second she's done with school - you simply can't get all that fashionable and expressive with all white.

I had some sort of really boring NurseMates shoe. They worked. I actually started out in $5 all-white sneakers from WalMart. They worked too, though I imagine they wouldn't have held up well long-term.

I'd definitely encourage at least trying shoes on in person, even if you end up ordering online. Danskos and so forth tend to be a love them or hate them type thing.

Calzuros because they can be autoclaved.

Really only useful if you have access to an autoclave :)

Edited by ocelotmom