Menu

Singapore, textbook and IG, is that enough?

shawthorne44

+1 on what crimsonwife says. Though I am uncertain if there is a type and OP meant SM TB + IP. We actually did use TB and WB and IP a semester behind. CWP was maybe a unit or two behind.

I think CWP is worthy of doing. It's really not very hard to integrate it. I just assign a page a day which is just 2 maybe 3 word problems.

Edited by calbear
  • Like 2

I think Singapore problems are extraordinarily well-written in terms of reinforcing the concepts in each lesson and an integral part of the lesson-- I did not realize this until I tried to use several other programs, and wow. The Singapore workbook doesn't have many problems for each concept, but the ones they have are not a waste of time. And the workbook isn't expensive. My preference is always to not do every problem in the textbook but to hand my kid the workbook as soon as it's clear he's ready to practice on his own. And I think the fact that you can't write in the textbook lends itself well to that kind of use. The IP problems are awesome, too, but I'm not sure they scaffold a kid's conceptual understanding in the same way the workbook does. If your student is mathematically gifted, that may indeed be enough, though.

• Like 4

I agree with fralala about how the WB problems relate so clearly to the TB lesson. In addition to being good practice for dd to reinforce what we've discussed, it is also a helpful assessment for me to see if she truly understands the concept. If she can't complete the WB on her own, then I know we're not quite ready to move on.

• Like 3

I also agree with Fralala.

We typically only use the Textbook for direct teaching. I'll pull a handful of problems and we'll work them together.

Once I am satisfied that my student grasps the concept, I send them off with the corresponding WB pages. I try to stretch content out so that they are introduced/taught a concept, practice that concept the same day, practice again the next day, while being taught the next lesson, and then review of that concept via practice pages in the near future and periodically thereafter.

Often, that extended review is from IP. And IP often takes the content a little deeper.

I treat problem solving as its own subject. We work on it twice a week. I use Process Skills in Problem Solving first, and then CWP. Typically a half to full grade level behind our current content.

• Like 3

I did do it one year... Here it is expensive to get the workbooks due to shipping and $ conversion. On the one hand it did basically work but I feel that we lost ground that year so I probably won't do it again.

I do skip problems because otherwise we would take two hours a day in many lessons. Maybe we are slow. We do use standards and it has more practice than the us edition which we used one year.