Menu

S/o- just how much is your deductible?

Hilltopmom

750/person with a 2000 out of pocket max per year. We also have an HRA that reimburses us $1200 in out of pocket expenses at the first of every year.

Some things are paid for 100% with no deductible (well visits, tests, routine blood work and minor emergencies), but everything else is paid OOP til that $750 per person is reached. We rarely reach our deductibles.

Edited by StaceyinLA

The BCBS plan Dh and I had, had a $6000 deductible each. After that deductible was met it paid 100%. It costs roughly $500 each per month. We did get some subsidy.

I liked the plan because it was 'clean'. Meaning I hoped to never meet the deductible but if I did I didn't have to worry about 20% or whatever.

But I am a high deductible fan. Our cars have $1000, our house $2000. The deductibles are lower and there is a possibility and hope the insurance is never needed.

We currently have $1,000 per person, or $2,000 family deductibles, with a $1500 individual and $3000 family out of pocket maximum per calendar year.

Well visits, standard tests (colonoscopy, mammo, etc), vaccines, etc. are not subject to the deductible.  I think we have a $25 co-pay for that stuff.

At my old job, we had a higher deductible (I think $3,000 individual) but the company contributed about 1/2 of that to an HSA every year for people on the high deductible plans.

ETA:  I think we pay about $500/month for family coverage.

Edited by Where's Toto?

Ours is $6,500 per person, and $13,500 for the entire family.  We pay for everything 100% up until then with the exception of a few things like yearly checkups and some vaccinations.  After that, everything is 100% covered, within our network.  Outside our network, the deductible is a flat $40,000.  I think the only exception to that is ER visits?  I'm not positive though.  Fortunately our network does include many great hospitals and clinics, including Mayo.  

The company we insure through puts $7,500 into our HSA at the start of each year.

We always reach the $13,500 deductible every year due to chronic health problems.

I didn't realize that some people still got these really great plans. I thought that every company had gone to the high deductible ones. That is great that some companies can still make the better plans happen!

Yes, seriously I'm surprised at how many people have per-person deductibles <1000. We haven't seen deductibles that low in years.

DH's previous job offered a choice between (A) Kaiser HMO with a $1500 per person deductible and $20/$30/$50 co-pays up to maybe $3k OOP max but no out-of-network benefits or ( B ) Cigna PPO with a $4500 per person deductible and 10% cost share up to $6.8k OOP  max in-network and 30% cost share up to $10k OOP max

Kaiser was awful and I wish we had never chosen it but just sucked it up and paid for the PPO. They flat out denied my daughter the cochlear implant whereas Cigna paid it without my needing to appeal or go to Independent Medical Review by the state.

His current job had 2 PPO options and Kaiser HMO. Their Kaiser plan had a $2500 per person deductible and $20/$30/$50 co-pays up to a $5k OOP max. The PPO options both had 20% cost shares in-network and 40% out-of-network. The deductibles were either $2500 or $5k and the OOP max was either $5k or $7k. The total cost for premiums plus OOP max were similar for both so we went with the one that had the lower deductible and OOP max so that we can spread out the pain over the year.

This year is going to s*ck because we will have to pay both the $4500 deductible & $6.8k OOP max from the original job AND the $2500 deductible & a good chunk of the $5k OOP max for the new job.

Our deductible is $1,000.00 but if Dh gets a health screening every year then the company puts $1,000.00 per year into our HSA. And it rolls over from year to year so we have a little less than $3,000 a year in it now because we rarely need to go to the doctor. I've seen people retire and get braces and plastic surgery because they have so much left in their account.

One of the reasons, Dh took this job is because their benefits package is way behind the times...in a good way.

Slowly, they are making changes to perks like the pension and retiree medical insurance to catch up with the rest of the country. If they continue, it will no longer be such a great place to work, and employees will start taking jobs with smaller companies who can not compete in the benefits department.

we have two.    

Mine is at a hospital.....covers me and the kids.   about 240 a month with vision.....$750 individual, 2250 family...... out of pocket is 2,000 individual and 6000 family   three tiers 10% pay, 20% pay, 50% pay after deductible.  No copays that I am aware of.    HSA is avialable but employer doesn't contribute

His is from a small business....just him 120 a month (family would be 1250.00)   .... 1,000 individual, 2,000 family.... out of pocket 6350 individual, 12, 700 family  copays in network are 30 or 50 for specialty.

I will probably add him to my insurance next sign up period  as their rates are going to go up if I can.  I'm still confused on whether spouses that have insurance offered at their job can take insurance at their spouse's job.   After ACA was put in place, we were told no but I'm not sure that was right.    

But, I imagine he will negotiate with his boss as they need so many healthy people in the pool to keep their "low rates".  

Sad thing is we are both covered by the same parent insurance company.  They create smaller insurance companies to justify why they charge different rates even though they are all under the same parent umbrella company..

Edited by Supertechmom