Menu

What would be a good gift for this interest?

Rockhopper

My dd is about to turn 7. She has, since she was 3, been very, very interested in (okay, obsessed, really) the dolphin Winter.

She spends a great deal of time paper crafting various iterations of Winter, then constructing different "tails" and trying them out. She tries different designs, different "socks" (newspaper bags, ziplocs, etc), different stabilizing structures (straws, toothpicks, popsicle sticks) seeing which ones work best (i.e. which one Winter likes best, which one allows her to swim the fastest, etc.).

I primarily think of this as a dolphin interest, but it recently occurred to me that there's a lot of engineering/design experimenting going on too. 

Are there any good kits/sets that would build on this interest?

"Awesome Ocean Science" by Littlefield is a great book about the science of the ocean, including fresh vs. salt water characteristics, sea life, etc.

There are experiments in it that she might enjoy, and they mostly use stuff you would probably have at home. 

Also, if you can manage it, the Seymour Center in Santa Cruz, CA has wonderful summer camps for kids 7 and up, focusing on marine biology but especially on marine mammals.  Might be worth a vacation next summer!

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1

Maybe some home resin/make your own cast kit? Or even one of those handprint things to see how a cast is made, then the material is poured inside to give a carbon copy?

She needs a home biomechanical engineering kit or something! :)

Maybe some home resin/make your own cast kit? Or even one of those handprint things to see how a cast is made, then the material is poured inside to give a carbon copy?

She needs a home biomechanical engineering kit or something! :)

Oh, that's a good idea too -- I bet she'd like seeing how to mold something.