Menu

K Math: Right Start vs Horizons vs Miquon--help please!

lilamom

I agree with the PP. We're using RightStart and love it, but I looked at Miquon, too. I realized it didn't make sense to ME, although I think my DS would also have enjoyed it and been successful. Maybe if I wasn't juggling two younger siblings, I could have made a different choice. But in our situation, the scripted teacher's guide for RightStart tipped the balance.

All three are solid programs, so there definitely isn't a wrong choice.

• Like 1

I agree with the PP. We're using RightStart and love it, but I looked at Miquon, too. I realized it didn't make sense to ME, although I think my DS would also have enjoyed it and been successful. Maybe if I wasn't juggling two younger siblings, I could have made a different choice. But in our situation, the scripted teacher's guide for RightStart tipped the balance.

All three are solid programs, so there definitely isn't a wrong choice.

Thanks so much! I haven't been able to talk to anyone who uses Right Start. How long do lessons take on an average day?

I like the broader scope of right start and the easy to implement, scripted lessons. I like the discovery aspect of miquon and the way the child can have some choice in the topic each day. My oldest did miquon, my middle did right start. I think the rods are hugely superior to the abacus for most things, especially at the k level for building number sense. Many people like the games in right start, but my child quickly became bored with playing ten different versions of memory. The higher levels have more interesting games, I think. My youngest is doing miquon. If there was a right start that used rods instead of the abacus and had more interesting games, that would be my dream. Haven't used horizons.

Thanks so much! I haven't been able to talk to anyone who uses Right Start. How long do lessons take on an average day?

I spend about 10-20 minutes on math daily.  He's only 4, so I basically go with his attention span.  I preview 5 lessons ahead, so most days we do one lesson.  Some days we end up doing a lesson and a half.  Some days we just play games.  Some times we end up stretching a lesson over two days.  I'm not rushing through.  I love that there's lots of built in review, almost no writing (important, bc mine just is not ready to write), and the concepts are introduced in a concrete way that works well for my young learner.

I am very interested in Miquon, but I need something more open and go for now.  Maybe after a time or two through RightStart I'll have more confidence (and more bigs than littles!) to tackle Miquon.

I only aim to complete 3 lessons a week; sometimes we do more, but I also take time to play games (RightStart and otherwise), play with the manipulatives, and we do also work with Cuisenaire rods and Education Unboxed videos.  It sounds like a lot, but I don't spend more than 30-40 minutes on math and some phonics combined.  Little bits several times a week add up to quite a bit!

I have no experience with Horizons or Miquon, but we love RightStart over here.  10-20 minutes per lesson sounds about right for level A or B, plus time to play games as desired.  

RS builds a solidly solid math foundation.  The way it teaches mental math is one of my favorite aspects of the program. 

I started Miquon with an older child. It starts very basic and builds. As you can see in my siggy we are still doing it. We are close to going to the last book. We have been happy with it but I am trying something else with my younger son. We are doing MEP http://www.cimt.org.uk/projects/mepres/primary/index.htm. It is free so you can try it and not feel guilty about stopping it. We will see how it goes. :)

I don't know Horizons, but in terms of Right Start vs. Miquon...

Right Start...

* more expensive

* program will last longer (goes to a higher grade)

* many different bits and pieces and manipulatives (though the abacus is obviously central)

* cool games set

* very scripted lessons that are completely laid out for you

Miquon...

* cheap

* simple but powerful manipulative in the C-rods

* good online resource now that there's Education Unboxed to support it

* much more open ended and discovery based

* some people find it harder to implement and wrap their head around

Both...

* are super conceptual and great at developing number sense

* are programs a lot of people don't finish all the way through (a lot of families move to Singapore or another program after RS B or maybe C and a lot of families putter around with Miquon for K-1st but don't finish and move to any one of a number of programs)

* are teacher intensive, though maybe in different ways

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 1

I think Miquon is a great discovery based math that really teaches well. It's not just memorizing but really breaks down the concepts. I am math phobic and bought it because I'd read such great things but it sat on my shelf for months because it is so different looking. With Miquon you really just have to dive in to get it. Some of the first pages of Orange (first book) look weird but then it starts to look more familiar. I wish we had started sooner because DS felt he was too old for rods. I'm planning to start it earlier with DD. It is cheap and easy to use so it's easy to try out first before you commit to the time and expense of RS.

I started Miquon with an older child. It starts very basic and builds. As you can see in my siggy we are still doing it. We are close to going to the last book. We have been happy with it but I am trying something else with my younger son. We are doing MEP http://www.cimt.org.uk/projects/mepres/primary/index.htm. It is free so you can try it and not feel guilty about stopping it. We will see how it goes. :)

How long do you spend daily for lessons?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...