Menu

Lumbar puncture headache Qs?

BlsdMama

My head is going to implode.

Had a lumbar puncture at Mayo last Friday.  Went GREAT.  They used a pediatric needle, made me lie down after for a half hour.  Great experience.  

Saturday I was just fine.

Sunday the headache began.  Monday it wasn't good.  And yesterday I stayed drugged on Ibuprofen like crazy.  Had my PICC placed yesterday.  (That did NOT go well.)  And today I have ZERO doubt this is the worse headache of my life.

I know they can do a blood patch.  I honestly do NOT want to go all the way back up to Mayo AGAIN.  And DH is supposed to have a colonoscopy on Friday.  

Someone just tell me this thing is going to end at some point.

My head is going to implode.

Had a lumbar puncture at Mayo last Friday. Went GREAT. They used a pediatric needle, made me lie down after for a half hour. Great experience.

Saturday I was just fine.

Sunday the headache began. Monday it wasn't good. And yesterday I stayed drugged on Ibuprofen like crazy. Had my PICC placed yesterday. (That did NOT go well.) And today I have ZERO doubt this is the worse headache of my life.

I know they can do a blood patch. I honestly do NOT want to go all the way back up to Mayo AGAIN. And DH is supposed to have a colonoscopy on Friday.

Someone just tell me this thing is going to end at some point.

Oh, honey. I am sorry. It is awful.

I had to get 2 blood patches. The first one didn't work and it was another 4 days of agony before I got the 2nd one.

After the 2nd one, they had me stay flat for 8 hours. It was overnight so it was fine. But when I got up, I was like a different person.

I'd advise you to get the blood patch ASAP. Nothing else helped me.

It was explained to me that it is a mechanical thing...you are leaking spinal fluid so your nerves are applying pressure that will only be relieved when the leak stops.

It will eventually heal, but until then, the headaches are HORRIBLE. And I've had migraines that Id pick over a spinal headache.

• Like 7

Radiologists and some anesthesiologists can do the blood patch. Call your local hospital, speak to someone in the radiology department, and see if you can set that up.

Edited by Minniewannabe
  • Like 4

Thanks all for the encouragement.  I put a call into Mayo.  They can send a recommendation to my local hospital so we get this taken care of.  DH is supposed to have a colonoscopy on Friday.

I am over this medical crap.  I have three kids' physicals scheduled this AM, almost an hour away.  Come back, two home health nurses to teach me how to inject my meds into the PICC and care for the PICC.  Tomorrow "off" and then DH's colonoscopy on Friday.  I am ready for AUGUST and no appointments.  None.  Zero.  Nada.

The Mayo stuff was amazing.  That hospital runs like a well oiled machine.  Everyone is incredibly professional.  I wish my PICC had been inserted there.  Did I do that? No.  No, I scheduled the PICC at a band-aid station close to my Lyme doc.  

First try?  Lidocaine apparently made my vein just POOF! Disappear.  Second try - they attemped to insert a PICC line sans anesthetic.  Needless to say didn't go super awesome and I have a poor attitude.  One more try with lidocaine.  Switch arms try again.  Success.  Both arms are pretty tender this morning.  It's been my first less than pleasant experience through all of this.  Worse, definitely, than the EMGs, lol.  Wouldn't the EMG doc find that amusing?  

All in all, most everything was good.  But yesterday paired with this headache and really HAVING to function today feels overwhelming.  Tonight? Order pizza and lie on the couch.  

I'm sorry, Kelly.

The other part of the mechanical issue is that the puncture site scabs over and makes a seal, but that the scab can come off or just not form. That is why they advise you stay flat and rest. Plus being horizontal takes some of the pressure off the nerves causing the headache.*

Is there anyway you can just lie down? You sound so busy...I am sure it can't be avoided but if it can, it might help if you rested lying flat.

*it has been a while since this happened to me. this is what I remember but if anyone knows it isn't accurate, please let me know.

• Like 1

So sorry you are going through this.  Hope you can get the rest you need.  This happened with epidural with ds 2.   They did a blood patch but it took days for the headache to subside.    I remember crying because I wanted to be present and enjoy the birth experience.    

• Like 1

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  LPs absolutely terrify me. I'm glad I didn't need one when my latest round of symptoms hit - my MRI made the dx obvious. I was having panic attacks about having to get one. I hope you can get some relief and some rest. 

(Hugs) spinal headaches are the worst!

Laying flat, like everyone else said. When DS was 2, they told me to give him caffeine. Then, years later, when I had my first spinal headache I drank caffeinated drinks. I don't know if it's still recommended, but it seemed to alleviate some of the pain.

I hope your body heals quickly, and you feel better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I got a spinal headache after having an epidural for surgery.

It was HORRIBLE. It hurt so bad that I felt like I was going to puke as well every time I got up. I stayed in bed all day and drank caffeine for 2 1/2 days. Unfortunately I had surgery on Friday, and they don't do blood patches on the weekend at the local hospital. I felt too ill to imagine going to another hospital.

So Monday morning I went in. Initially the blood patch didn't seem to work, but they said that I had to wait 24 hours. Thankfully I woke up the next day just fine.

(Hugs) spinal headaches are the worst!

Laying flat, like everyone else said. When DS was 2, they told me to give him caffeine. Then, years later, when I had my first spinal headache I drank caffeinated drinks. I don't know if it's still recommended, but it seemed to alleviate some of the pain.

I hope your body heals quickly, and you feel better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, busybuzzybee, I remember the caffeine recommendation, too.

It was so frustrating bc all the things they wanted you to do contradicted each other.

Get rest, don't move, stay flat but push fluids, especially caffeine.

It's hard to rest and stay flat when your jittery from caffeine and running to the bathroom!

• Like 2