Menu

Ellen McHenry's Rocks & Dirt!!

Murrayshire

Sweet! I wonder if this would fit well between Elements and Carbon Chem? My dd adores chemistry but I was kind of hoping we could leave Carbon Chem until 8th.

I think that would work...... There is plenty of content in Rocks & Dirt to review "Elements" then move into Carbon Chemistry for 8th. I would add to Carbon Chem for 8th grader to fill out the whole year. 

I like Ellen McHenry's stuff in the past when I've used it, but I have to admit that as a secular homeschooler that FAQ is a tad off-putting. "Neutral" science is very rarely actually neutral.

Yes I've heard this book has a section "against plate tectonics", don't quote me on this, but secular homeschoolers may want to research it thoroughly.

• Like 1

I like Ellen McHenry's stuff in the past when I've used it, but I have to admit that as a secular homeschooler that FAQ is a tad off-putting. "Neutral" science is very rarely actually neutral. 

As a secular homeschooler who has used some of Ellen McHenry's materials in the past, there's ZERO chance I would consider using this one given what she says about it. When covering very specific topics like the periodic table or the history of maps, she's been able to get around this, but I have found it to be a big omission in places. For example, her inability to even mention adaptations is nearly eye-rolling in Botany and Protozoa. It robs them of any sense of the big picture. I can't even imagine using this. I'm sure it will please young earthers, and I know she has many secular fans, but I would really urge secular users to think long and hard about what you're missing out on if you make this your look at geology, which is to say, you're missing out on the most fundamental elements of the subject from a scientific perspective.

• Like 11

Yes I've heard this book has a section "against plate tectonics", don't quote me on this, but secular homeschoolers may want to research it thoroughly.

I read through all the info again. There's a part where she goes through "reasons why some people think plate tectonics can’t be right" and introduces "hydroplate theory" as an alternative (I had to google this - I know very little about Creationist apologetics).

So yeah, I'll be skipping this, which is probably a good thing. I have a science curriculum I like, I don't need to be torturing myself with "grass is greener" thoughts  :lol: 

• Like 2

I read through all the info again. There's a part where she goes through "reasons why some people think plate tectonics can’t be right" and introduces "hydroplate theory" as an alternative (I had to google this - I know very little about Creationist apologetics).

So yeah, I'll be skipping this, which is probably a good thing. I have a science curriculum I like, I don't need to be torturing myself with "grass is greener" thoughts :lol:

Wait. She questions plate tectonics? Seriously?

Very disappointed.

• Like 5

Wait. She questions plate tectonics? Seriously?

Very disappointed.

Same. We went through Cells last year and I didn't pre read it so who knows what my DS read and needs to re-learn. I didn't even question if it was secular because I had seen so many recs from secular homeschoolers!

ETA: I have a high level understanding of what he did, as I fascilitated the activities and review questions, but I didn't read along with him.

Edited by Runningmom80
  • Like 2

I was disappointed when I heard Ellen McHenry was not secular. I did the elements and it seemed secular to me but they did a more detailed review of Cells and it had an outdated classification system that is typically used by creationists. It also had some questionable video suggestions with key fossils that creationists typically leave out omitted. It is really dissapointing to hear this new curriculum has an alternative theory for plate tectonics. My kids all really liked the Elements so I wish there was something like it that truly was secular.

Edited by MistyMountain
  • Like 1

EM teaches classes locally and, as a geologist, I've been explaining to friends who take the classes that no geologist (or scientist) considers hydrofrak theory even remotely plausible. She's been teaching it in every class for a while. We all joked about it until we realized that she was serious. Plate tectonics is a theory like gravity is a theory. The movement of the plates is measurable by satellites. It's universally accepted by geologists and has been for a very long time. You might as well go outside and insist that the grass isn't growing because you can't see it. Can you imagine a botany class like that? Btw-we liked her botany class, but will not be using any more of her materials.

• Like 5

For those wanting a secular alternative, ask at a local state park if they do a program for boys scouts. The Boy Scout badge requirement is pretty thorough. Watch Great Courses Geology of the National Parks, or the Worlds Greatest Geologic Wonders. Look online for fossil hunting sites in your area.

We've enjoyed the following books:

The Practical Geologist... By Douglas Dixon

The Fossil Factory by Nile Eldredge

101 American Geo-sites you've gotta see by Albert Dickas

Roadside Geology of your state

Host a geology snack party with some of these great activities: https://www.uky.edu/KGS/education/cookbook.htm

Take a field trip to Herkimer Diamonds http://www.herkimerdiamond.com

Gem Mountain Min in North Carolina https://gemmountain.com

There are lots of places like this, these are just two that we've been to.

Geology is a fun and lifelong hobby. There are lots of ways for you to enjoy it with your kids without a canned curriculum!

I can provide more info and recourses if you are interested.

• Like 7

I'm pretty disappointed too! Guess I should have read more in detail....... we loved Elements and CC and with all the raves about how neutral/secular EM material is..... I just assumed this was in the same ballpark.

Looks like we will stick with Oak Meadow for science.

Wonder if I could just skip the chapter in R&D under question..... teach plate tectonics....... and use some of her activities! I need to dive into reading it.

Ugh!

Edited by Murrayshire
  • Like 1

We also skipped it for the reasons mentioned here. She sent me a pdf of the book a few weeks ago to review. For secular homeschoolers, I would really advise against this book. Be prepared to skip at least one entire chapter if you do order it.

• Like 1