Menu

Classes that meet once per week?

As I am planning for next year I'm realizing that the middle school Spanish class that I'm planning for my two kids would be a pretty fun 'real' class to teach.  We have a local non-profit that rents out classroom space for a reasonable fee, so it is conceivable that I could actually do it.

Now if I were teaching my kids at home, I would plan for 4 days per week.  But with parents paying for the class and me paying for classroom space, I'm thinking only once per week would be economically feasible.   I could then leave students with work to be completed at home.  There is online support for the materials I'm using, audio files, etc.   And I could always do some youtube videos for them to watch if I thought I needed to.  But actual face-to-face instruction would be just one hour per week.

So my question is, does that sound like enough time/support for the kids to learn? I want this to be equivalent to Spanish 1a, so more than just dipping toes in.  Does anyone have experience with their kids taking a class that met just once per week, especially foreign language?  How did it go?  Or has anyone taught a real life class to other homeschoolers?  I'm open to any feedback!!

In the past I gave a language class with another homeschool family. Unfortunately it did not go far because with only one other family it was easy for sessions to be skipped and it fizzled out.

It is also important that the other families want to progress at the same rate.

I am considering trying to put on another class where I would want more people involved, willing to commit 1/2 hour a day on language learning/ exposure (not hard work, but consistent work). I am doubtful I would get enough interest for my not common language.

However, here our foreign language highschool courses only meet once a week, so it is possible.

My kids take an elementary foreign language class once a week and progress is very limited because of the focus of the class. Teaching in other language classes is much more skill based and more progress is made.

One of my kids has taken a foreign language class that meets once a week. (In fact, all the foreign language classes I could find in our area meet only once a week.) The teacher did send links of videos to watch. For a once a week meeting, I was interested in something that would help with speaking/conversing (since we could work on reading, vocabulary, and grammar on other days). This particular class spent, in my estimation, too much time using English words and translating to be valuable for what I was looking for-- something a little more immersive. But I always have my eye out for conversational language classes that are affordable because it is something I feel I have to partially outsource, and a fun class that lends itself well to socialization.

My kids did a once a week Spanish 1 class last year. It was great. Class time was spent on review, new lesson, and practice. There were enough outside assignments that they easily had work to do every non-class day. Homework (translate these 20 sentences or fill in the correct conjugation/vocabulary) was emailed to the teacher and graded before class. Of course try to minimize English used. It can work!

• Like 1

My oldest took an outside Spanish class from a former high school Spanish teacher. They met twice a week - first day in a classroom for 3 hours to cover the material, second day for 1 hour at a variety of places so they could practice their Spanish in a less traditional setting.

They went to Academy and she divided them in teams of two to practice their counting by counting how many soccer balls, whatever. They went to WalMart and did something there - maybe a scavenger hunt. They went to coffee shops and chatted in Spanish. They went to Mexican restaurants (the real ones) and ordered their lunch in Spanish and chatted in Spanish. They went to the Mexican market and ordered food (meat market, prepared salsa (quite a variety), etc) and then went to the teacher's house where they all helped prepare a traditional meal. 

• Like 1

Our coop does this but I think it's geared to upper Elem/ lower middle. We haven't taken it so I can't really give input, but it's popular and been around a while. If the kids practice at home vocabulary and spelling, and you focus mostly on pronunciation and grammar explanations it would probably be good. Any exposure is better than none.

• Like 1

I would just write a good schedule of expected work for the week including very detailed plans about how much and when to use the audio files. 

If you say "practice" speaking with the files a teen will do it once and call it good.  He practiced. But if you have daily checklists of what to do at home you will have better luck. Monday: practice with audio files for 15 minutes. Read pgs. x-x in your book. Tues. Practice with audio #2 5 minutes. Do chapter exercises. ETc. 

Look at the Memoria Press plans for Henle Latin i or II for some good examples. They really break down what the child needs to do each day to make it very clear. Any ambiguity means the least possible with get done at home in my opinion, lol. 

In the end, it is up to the parent do give a grade and decide how much they want their child to do for the credit, so you give them the plan to help them make it, but then it is up to them. 

• Like 3

And, unless it is an invite-only co-op, expect that about 40% of your students will consistently not do the work, even with weekly emails, promises of parental involvement, clear homework checklists, etc. etc.

Some parents view co-ops as a drop off babysitter with benefits and totally leave it up to their kids what the kids get out of it.

Unfortunately in all the co-ops and paid co-op type groups we've attended this is the norm.  I've even talked to long -time (up to 15 years) of the paid teachers and they said it is just hte way it is and they just hope that enough kids do the work, to make the class interesting with participation.  

Just an FYI so you know what you are getting into.

Because of this dynamic, I would make the minimum number of kids something like 10...because you'll probably get 5 that do the work, and can answer questions in class that way :)  

• Like 4

1.  Have a serious and very clear talk with the parents regarding what is expected of the students outside of class time BEFORE the first day of class (perhaps right before if that is the only time available).  Make sure the expectations are also clearly laid out in the class description.  Make sure the parents are genuinely on board with work outside of class and not just envisioning this as a fun, casual, once a week conversational thing.

2.  Expect that the kids that have no support at home from parents are not going to do the outside work (some may but many won't).  Especially with a foreign language it can be very hard to learn in a vacuum and without parental involvement it may also just end up being overwhelming for them.

3.  Expect that many kids will forget outside assignments the minute they walk out the door so have some way to send a reminder by email to the kids and the parents simultaneously.

4.  Establish rules for attendance right from the get go.  Let parents know that kids are expected to be on time and you will not be waiting 10-15 minutes past the official start time for dawdlers to show up.  If they aren't willing to commit to arriving on time, then please don't sign up.  Obviously things happen and sometimes people can't help being late but if you start out with a very casual attitude about start times then you may end up with half or more of your class showing up really late every week.  You might consider if there is a way to allow an extra :15 to your expected class length.  First :15 could be fun conversational Spanish games and socializing.

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 2

And, unless it is an invite-only co-op, expect that about 40% of your students will consistently not do the work, even with weekly emails, promises of parental involvement, clear homework checklists, etc. etc.

Some parents view co-ops as a drop off babysitter with benefits and totally leave it up to their kids what the kids get out of it.

This has been my experience. Be prepared that the ones who put no effort whatsoever in will expect the most of you. They will complain the loudest and at the end of a wasted semester will give their kid an A and high school credit for a junior high class they made no effort in.
  • Like 2

Unfortunately in all the co-ops and paid co-op type groups we've attended this is the norm.  I've even talked to long -time (up to 15 years) of the paid teachers and they said it is just hte way it is and they just hope that enough kids do the work, to make the class interesting with participation.  

Just an FYI so you know what you are getting into.

Because of this dynamic, I would make the minimum number of kids something like 10...because you'll probably get 5 that do the work, and can answer questions in class that way :)

This was my experience. I offered various local paid classes and was an Essentials and one-subject Challenge tutor with Classical Conversations. I moved on to better-paying teaching with a school, but if I ever went back to that, I'd only offer enrichment classes where doing the work outside of class didn't matter. Ten years of local classes, and it was unusual if more than half of the class did their homework.

One time I offered to teach a physics class. Ten signed up, and by September, I had two. I decided that it was a waste of time for me, and I refunded the deposits and tuition.

My grade school hands-on science classes were the only thing I'd consider continuing if I did it again. Class time was self-contained, and they had a lapbook at the end. Many of the families counted that as their science. But the group that I did that for has shut down, and it did involve hauling a lot of stuff. I'm older, and my helpers are now in college.

• Like 2

You guys are awesome, thank you for all the advice!  I live in a small town and would likely know (or know of) all of the families.  I will put out some feelers on facebook I think and see if there is an interest in a class that would require outside work.  It would be a real bummer if kids weren't studying outside of class because it would be impossible to keep the pace that I want.

On the plus side I need to teach the content to my daughter anyway so even if I get a couple other kids it would be a benefit to us.  I will have to keep thinking on it.

One other question...what do you think about sibling discounts?  I know it doesn't make sense in that siblings aren't less work, but I also know big families usually don't consider activities unless there is a sibling discount.

...what do you think about sibling discounts?  I know it doesn't make sense in that siblings aren't less work, but I also know big families usually don't consider activities unless there is a sibling discount.

How "poor" are the families in your area? My homeschool group is full of single-income families who are barely making ends meet, and even though I don't charge a ton, I still always have 2-3 families ask if they can pay in installments because they live right on the edge of a tight budget. So that does sway me to be more interested in finding ways to help more families be able to afford classes -- which ends up helping me by meeting my class minimum ;).

Also, how much of the income from the class will you need to rely on? Or would any profit just be a bonus to doing the class?

I am in the position of being able to offer options: 

1. I give a 15-20% discount (depends on the length of semester & class fee) for the additional sibling

2. I offer two "parent assistant scholarships" each semester

parent gets half-to-full* class fee for one student in exchange for being the parent assistant for half of the classes for the semester (the other scholarship goes to the other parent who is the parent assistant for the other half of the semester); that way parents work for the class fee -- and humans almost always much more appreciate something they worked for than were just gifted with -- and more importantly (for me ;) ) I get an my extra pair of hands to do whatever I need during class, and the parent assistant is my second adult for emergencies, and for a "2-deep" safety policy

* = depends on the semester length and length of class; years where I've done a 90 min - 2.5 hour class for 16-week semesters, parent assistant was 8 weeks and full class fee scholarshipped; doing a 1-hour class for a 10-week semester, the parent is working 5 weeks, so I offer a half-scholarship (half of the class fee)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

You guys are awesome, thank you for all the advice!  I live in a small town and would likely know (or know of) all of the families.  I will put out some feelers on facebook I think and see if there is an interest in a class that would require outside work.  It would be a real bummer if kids weren't studying outside of class because it would be impossible to keep the pace that I want.

On the plus side I need to teach the content to my daughter anyway so even if I get a couple other kids it would be a benefit to us.  I will have to keep thinking on it.

One other question...what do you think about sibling discounts?  I know it doesn't make sense in that siblings aren't less work, but I also know big families usually don't consider activities unless there is a sibling discount.

I hate to be redundant, but...

it's not "if" ...you will absolutely get a significant number of kids that don't do the work, regardless of trying to explain expectations ahead of time...

SO you will need to plan on that, how will you work with/around those kids? How will you motivate kids who actually do their work?  etc

I hate to be redundant, but...

it's not "if" ...you will absolutely get a significant number of kids that don't do the work, regardless of trying to explain expectations ahead of time...

SO you will need to plan on that, how will you work with/around those kids? How will you motivate kids who actually do their work?  etc

This.

Plus, if yours is the only class being offered in that location near that time then you are probably going to find several families end up not showing up consistently because it is hard to get motivated to get out that door for that one class.  And if there is nothing for the parents and siblings to do near there, that may drop motivation even further since they will either have to drop off and drive home then immediately turn around and come back (depending on length of class and drive time) or sit around waiting while trying to keep siblings occupied.

If the class is a drop off and longer than an hour, that sometimes helps.  If the class is offered back to back with something else, like PE, that can help.

• Like 2

I'd make it an hour and a half at least, if it's just once a week.

If you want it to be a serious class and not just fluff, then charge a ton of money. I pay $500 for 10 months ($50 per month) for my son's Spanish class that's taught twice a week for 45 minutes a class by a retired Spanish teacher. Plus an $85 registration fee.

You can bet that for $585 a year, we take the class very, very seriously. Of course, it's at the high school level where the grades count and it'll be on a transcript.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

State very clearly your prerequisites and ages. Ask me how I know ,).

I ended up with 4yos in a class for 7 and up. The next year I was more careful, but I ended up with a non-reading 9yo and two 11yos that could not write their name. In a foreign language class. I specifically said in my class description thay would need to take notes and do homework. How do you do that with children functionally lower than my preschooler at the time?

If you choose to provide a waver for special needs, you will know what you are getting into and how to differentiate. But, having half of your class not able to do any of the work you had planned is a major problem. I teach at a level for my children to learn. My children learned nothing the year I taught phonics and handwriting to children whose parents "hadn't gotten around to it yet" when I was supposed to be teaching foreign language for middle school.

Also, have a behavior policy in place. In mine I state very clearly that I am not the parent. If there is any problem, the parent will pick up their child.

• Like 2

I agree with making the class a little longer if it's just once a week. I also agree that sometimes, you just have families that don't put in the work. I found this out teaching online. You just have to keep moving forward, or you'll have the pp's situation of teaching something other than what you were paid to do. Don't even go there. In pp's situation, I may have kept teaching to the level planned, and the other students would probably have just dropped out. Or, I may have made accommodations so the students didn't need to write, but still the learn the language, not teach them phonics and handwriting. It really depends on who is in your class. They will either step up or drop out. There has to be a standard.

• Like 2

Love the advice I have gotten so far.  One advantage for middle schoolers to take a class outside of home, as I see it, is to begin to learn to be accountable to someone other than Mom.  So I really don't want to turn it in to a situation where I am nagging the parents about their kids not doing the work.  I would likely know all parents involved (small town) so I am thinking if I go forward with this I would have a talk with them first about how we would handle the situation of kids not doing their work.

Right now what I'm thinking might work is if kids did not do their work outside of class then I would have them sit aside and finish it instead of participating in class.  (I would warn them ahead of time of course.)  That way they'd get the message that they cannot just show up and move on as though they did the work.

State very clearly your prerequisites and ages. Ask me how I know ,).
I ended up with 4yos in a class for 7 and up. The next year I was more careful, but I ended up with a non-reading 9yo and two 11yos that could not write their name.

Also, have a behavior policy in place. In mine I state very clearly that I am not the parent. If there is any problem, the parent will pick up their child.

Why would parents put their kids in that situation?! Frustrating!  My son is dyslexic and I would never have wanted to put him in an environment like that where he would be struggling and not succeeding!

I did teach a really loose co-op class years ago with ages 4-18 and realized really quickly the need for strict age guidelines, or at least ability guidelines.  There were actually lots of sibling groups and we made it work, but it just wasn't that enjoyable for me to have to plan for so many ability levels!  :laugh:

I agree with making the class a little longer if it's just once a week. I also agree that sometimes, you just have families that don't put in the work. I found this out teaching online. You just have to keep moving forward, or you'll have the pp's situation of teaching something other than what you were paid to do. Don't even go there. In pp's situation, I may have kept teaching to the level planned, and the other students would probably have just dropped out. Or, I may have made accommodations so the students didn't need to write, but still the learn the language, not teach them phonics and handwriting. It really depends on who is in your class. They will either step up or drop out. There has to be a standard.

I don't think I can make the class longer because the space is rented by the hour.  So I mean I  COULD do two hours, but then I'd double the cost of the class.  Keeping the timing right is going to be tough.  No chit chat!  

Definitely like the advice of keeping the pace and level that I plan.  If for no other reason than I want to keep my daughter (who will be in the class) at that pace.  So if I'm clear about what abilities the student needs to have, how much work will be expected, consequences of not doing work, and they pay up front for the semester, then that's up to them if they keep up or not.  I do think it can be a learning experience for the kids if I have nice but uncomfortable conversations with those who didn't do their work.  I certainly know my kids could use that talk from someone other than mom.

...I don't think I can make the class longer because the space is rented by the hour.  So I mean I  COULD do two hours, but then I'd double the cost of the class.  Keeping the timing right is going to be tough.  No chit chat!  

If you're renting by the hour, then realistically, your actual class time will be able to be, at most, 50 minutes long because you'll need at least 5 minutes to arrive/set-up and 5 minutes to clean-up/return keys, etc. (Unless the facility grants a "grace period" before and after your 1 hour of rental for set-up/tear-down.)

I personally would not find 50-60 minutes once a week enough for actually moving forward with a foreign language with students. JMO! :) And as previous posters have mentioned, I am not sure it would be worth it to make a single, 1-hour outsourced class a priority. Esp. if I had to drive 15 minutes one way -- that's 30 minutes of driving for 60 minutes of class. It would have to be a pretty spectacular class for me to do that! ;) I have a feeling that you will end up with a small handful of interested dedicated students, but it may not be enough to pay your weekly facility fee, even if only renting for 1 hour/week... :(

Also, be prepared: people ALWAYS have questions or needs to be addressed. I suppose you could cut them off and say, "we'll talk after class in the parking lot"...

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Sadly, I agree with Lori D.  I'm not sure it would be worth it to me to drive my child once a week to a one hour class in a foreign language.  There just isn't much time to learn.  While a lot of work could be done at home, I think it would end up being kind of a hassle for that once a week of less than an hour of in person instruction and hopefully interaction with classmates if the bulk of the work would be done at home and I would almost certainly still have to help my child.  I know that my kids still need(ed) a lot of help at home as Middle Schoolers and would certainly need interaction to learn a foreign language.  I think many parents are going to think, once they start actually trying to do this, "if I'm putting in that much time and effort at home to help my kids learn this foreign language, is it worth the time, effort and expense to drive somewhere for them to have less than an hour of outside instruction once a week, too?"  I also agree, there won't actually be an hour of class time if you have to be in and out in exactly one hour.  I'm not saying this is a bad idea.  I think it is awesome that you want to offer this.  I just don't think this is going to play out the way you are envisioning it.

How will you handle the class if only two students show up consistently and of those two only one does any work at home?  Will it be worth it?  

Is it possible to hold this class in your home or some other location where you don't have to rent space by the hour so you could extend the length of the class?

• Like 2

Or is there anyone else wanting to offer a class in a different subject matter for the same age group that could offer their class for maybe an hour and a half and you could offer your class for an hour and a half, back to back.  Then it would be a 3 hour block and extended time in each class to actually get more covered.  People might be a lot more willing to commit to something like that.

• Like 1

My kids German class meets once a week for 2.5hrs which include a 20mins recess to eat and use the restrooms. The teachers start on time and they can end 10mins after time as the school district they rent from gives them a 30mins grace for the district janitor to lock up all the rooms. So basically the "landlord" allow them the use of facilities from 9am to 12:30pm for a class that is 9:30am to noon.

They use Klett textbooks and workbooks for German as a second language. They finish the textbooks and workbooks every year. European textbooks and workbooks tend to be more concise then those written more for US high school use.

Edited for autocorrect of publisher's name.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1