Menu

Help me get cell phones for my parents ASAP

DawnM

Ordered late last night.  I will keep my OP up as you never know when I will need the info again, but I have ordered phones and SIM cards now.

UGH.

They had phones but they are falling apart and not working properly.

I stopped in at the T-mobile store to see if I could get phones and have them all set up while we are here in Phoenix, but they said they don't do them in the store for the pay as you go and I would have to order them, get the SIM separately, and set it up myself.

Problem is:  My parents won't be able to figure out how to do that.  We are coming back through Phoenix on our way back from CA in about 11 days, but I am worried the phones won't get here by then.

I stopped at Walmart and they had NOTHING.  They had about 4 smartphones for their Walmart plan, but nothing for pay as you go and no flip phones.

Suggestions?

1.  I think I will need an Amazon option to ensure delivery.

2.  They use about 20 minutes per month and don't text or need data,  

3.  NO Smartphones, they only want FLIP with large numbers to see easily.

4.  No gadgets, no extras, etc......just a good voice calling phone

5.  They are in their mid-80s and in poor health, they have no desire to figure out anything new

6.  I am paying for the phones and the plans and Jitterbug plans are $30 plus tax for their 20-40 minutes of use.  I honestly am not wiling to pay $1 per minute for usage, I don't care how "senior friendly" the phones are.

Would tracphone have something?

I need two of them, one for each of them.

THANK YOU!

THANK YOU!

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

I just bought FOUR of these T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy phones from this vendor on eBay.  Excellent condition is only $69.99.  Fast, free shipping and last one came from Nebraska, so it should get there very soon.  They have "Easy Mode", which I just set up for my mother recently.  It has a nice interface with 12 speed dials on one screen.  T-Mobile's prepaid plan should work for them.

ETA:  Sorry, I didn't read carefully: no smartphones.  Still, these are easy to use...

Edited by RegGuheert
  • Like 2

Look in a grocery store. Our local Kroger sells a couple different brands of flip pre-paid phones. A word about tracfone, I have one and I am bombarded with scam telemarketing calls everyday, and so is every I know with one. You might look at the Jitterbug phone from GreatCall. They are super senior friendly, have really big numbers, and work very similarly to a regular phone. You can get them online, and I think Sears stores have them too.

• Like 2

Can't you walk into any Walmart these days and purchase prepaid phones?  Or is that just the minutes?

That is what I thought, but not this Walmart!  

We are on vacation and have stuff to do, places to go, etc....I really don't have time to run all over the place to find a phone.

ARGH!

• Like 2

Look in a grocery store. Our local Kroger sells a couple different brands of flip pre-paid phones. A word about tracfone, I have one and I am bombarded with scam telemarketing calls everyday, and so is every I know with one. You might look at the Jitterbug phone from GreatCall. They are super senior friendly, have really big numbers, and work very similarly to a regular phone. You can get them online, and I think Sears stores have them too.

Yeah, it is just the EXPENSE.  I can't believe how pricey they are.

In fact, I could pay $15 each to add them to my ATT plan and they could have unlimited talk/text and some data.  

But I really don't want to pay $30 for the two of them.  They don't talk more than 20 min.  They only use it for emergencies and to call each other from a store to pick up the other, etc....or Mom calls Dad at the grocery store to pick up something she forgot to put on the list.

A VERY CHEAP plan is all they need.

• Like 1

I was going to suggest that you read the thread RegG wrote recently, about a new phone for his 86 year old mother, but you wrote no Smart phones. The phone he bought for her is a Smart phone (and his family has a bunch of that particular Samsung model).

With regard to a Cell phone provider,  for the tiny amount of use you have indicated, I would suggest that you look at USMOBILE, which I believe runs on the T-Mobile Network.  What I like about them is that they use a "Cafeteria" plan and it can be changed, if their usage changes.  I will probably buy SIMs for USMOBILE the next time we can go on a trip to the USA.   I think Sparkly signed up for 2 phones with them recently.  This is the URL:   https://www.usmobile.com/

If I did not go with USMOBILE for a trip to the USA, I would probably go with T-Mobile.

Trac phones apparently run on 4 different networks (some CDMA technology and some GSM technology?) and which network  one is on depends upon where they live.   

Now, your immediate need is to buy Dumb phones they can use, without a big "learning curve".  On that one I have no idea.    We have a lot of respect for the many low-end Nokia dumb phones we had, very rugged, but I don't know if any of them have large buttons or other features your parents want. Hopefully someone else can point you to cell phone model(s) your parents might be comfortable using.

Try to buy phones that are not only "UNLOCKED" but are also "UNBRANDED" (phones that left the factory with stock Firmware and not Firmware customized by the provider). 

NOTE: Before you purchase phones for them, it is urgent that you know if they will be used on a CDMA Network (I think Verizon and Sprint in the USA are mostly or all CDMA technology) or GSM technology like AT&T and T-Mobile.   If it needs a SIM card it is GSM technology, which is used in most of the world. If it is CDMA technology, it will need to be Configured by the cell phone provider, in the office of the cell phone provider.

Good luck to them and have a very safe trip!

• Like 1

Yeah, it is just the EXPENSE.  I can't believe how pricey they are.

In fact, I could pay $15 each to add them to my ATT plan and they could have unlimited talk/text and some data.  

But I really don't want to pay $30 for the two of them.  They don't talk more than 20 min.  They only use it for emergencies and to call each other from a store to pick up the other, etc....or Mom calls Dad at the grocery store to pick up something she forgot to put on the list.

A VERY CHEAP plan is all they need.

Many flip phones have GPS, which can be helpful if the person gets lost.  If it is on your plan you will have easier access to that information. 

• Like 2

Walgreens and RiteAid have the Jitterbug phone for seniors, and similar, back by the medical devices, near the pharmacy.  Those are flip with large buttons.  

My dad is only 75 but I swear I've lost years off of my life helping him understand his phones.  So many forgotten passwords, changed phone numbers, "broken" phones that turn out to work fine, he just did something dumb to them.  He has a very up to date Samsung now and when I set it up I set up the passwords and added mine and my husband's thumb print to it.  He changed his number so many times that the last time he lost his phone and was thinking of changing his number my son informed him that he had better port his old number or no one would ever call him again.   :laugh:

I want to open a school where small child instructors teach the elderly how to use technology.  

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 5

Dawn before I shutdown my laptop I read both of the articles I linked to. Possibly consider the phones with Emergency services and that you can program remotely and with GPS. The monthly service is more but if there is ever an emergency it could be a lifesaver

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I googled for "flip phone large buttons" without the quote marks. Check out these URLs. Possibly something that will be good for your parents.

https://www.lifewire.com/best-cell-phones-for-senior-citizens-4125595

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nextavenue/2015/06/17/3-must-have-cell-phones-for-seniors/#

Only flip listed is the Jitterbug with the expensive plan.   :crying:

Can't open the Forbes article.

• Like 1

Dawn before I shutdown my laptop I read both of the articles I linked to. Possibly consider the phones with Emergency services and that you can program remotely and with GPS. The monthly service is more but if there is ever an emergency it could be a lifesaver

They have one of those now, but they never have the data on nor do they know how to use a GPS.  They are home 99% of the time and live in a retirement center, so not sure having emergency service on their cell they don't use while at home is going to help.  They have all these pull switches in their home to call emergency services.

• Like 1

Only flip listed is the Jitterbug with the expensive plan. :crying:

Can't open the Forbes article.

Please try it again. I am on my old phone and I clicked on the Forbes link. At first they have some junk but wait a few seconds and at the top it will say click to the article or something and then you can read the article.

• Like 1

My mention of the GPS is if they need to be located

Yes that would require Data. Someone on WTM had her elderly Mother Mother missing. She had gone to the supermarket or somewhere close but ended up about 90 minutes from home

• Like 1

Please try it again. I am on my old phone and I clicked on the Forbes link. At first they have some junk but wait a few seconds and at the top it will say click to the article or something and then you can read the article.

Tried multiple times, it won't open.

• Like 1

I really need a CHEAP plan!  Limited TALK only.  I just can't pay for a bunch of stuff they won't use.  It isn't worth it.  I actually think Tracfone is way more than they need, although I am not impressed with the actual phones they offer.  But it will still be $7 each per month, so $14 for AT MOST 40 min of talk.  That is still .37 cents per minute of use.

I don't have the answer for you re: pre-paid/pre-setup, but I will say that one of the most important things to get is a BIG speaker in the ear and BIG numbers and BIG buttons.  It's not just that people lose visual and aural acuity; it's also that their hands are shaky and hitting exactly the right button is a chore.  

We got the phones and preloaded the phone numbers they called most frequently and put them on a list and taped it to the back of the phone and then made a GIANT size list they could put on the fridge.  My FIL with dementia could even manage that.  

after we sent them the phones, we called them on their land lines and told them we were going to call the cell phone and to keep the land line to their ear.  It's going to ring, Mom.  When it rings, flip it open and lift it to your OTHER ear and say hello.  Then when they do that, you say, into the cell phone ear, THAT is how you answer a phone.  Then when you are done talking, after you say goodbye, you fold the phone, and it is hung up.  While still on the landline, you say, OK, se the list on the back?  when you press the pound sign--it looks like tic-tac-toe, and is...tell location... and the number 1, that will call me.  Do that now.  and then you do it all again, but from their end.  

And then you tell them to take out the charger and plug it in by their bed so they will see it at night.  Plug the phone in every night, mom.  Then, in the morning, unplug it and put it in your pocket or in your purse, whatever you keep near you.  

That's what we did.

And it was a lot more iterations than this.  I'm just giving you the general idea.

When I read those articles I liked the ones that someone else can program remotely for their parents and if necessary in an emergency like the lady had with her missing Mother a week or 2 ago can help locate the missing person. That implies they took the phone with them and that it's turned on so they can be found. In that kind of emergency the cost of the service would be a bargain.

• Like 1

Another feature I think some phones have is that they are Hearing Aid compatible if that's a factor. I think Sparkly wrote the minimal service for 2 phones on Us Mobile will be 5 a month? That's total for 2 phones but I am not sure if it includes minutes. They are Cafeteria Plan pay for what you need and nothing else. I think they run on T-MOBILE

• Like 1

Tried multiple times, it won't open.

I am sitting here in Colombia using my very low end 2014 Samsung phone on the Wifi in our house. I tried it again. I clicked on the link upthread and I I selected the Chrome web browser. When it first loads there is some advertising or something else. After approximately 5 or 10 seconds near the top of the Display it will say click for article or click to continue. Click on the arrow pointing to the right and the article loaded for me. Earlier I read both articles on my laptop.

• Like 1

I have looked at those. Do they hold up? Are they sturdy? The last phone they had didn't work well and was rather flimsy.

I don't know about the particular model, we use smart phones now so it has been awhile since I tried one of their flip phones.

• Like 2

I think a Flip phone is a little more fragile than a Candy Bar style phone but if treated gently a good Flip phone should last a long time. Years ago my wife and I had Sony Ericsson W300i Walkman phones. The issues we had with them had nothing to do with the fact they were Flip phones. Dawn the issue you will face in a brick and mortar store is they will probably have few if any Dumb phones and fewer Flip phones.

• Like 1

Can they share a phone?

No, they pretty much only call each other!  If they are shopping and my mom goes to another store in the mall and my dad is somewhere else, they call to meet up.  You have no idea how turned around they get without cell phones and how long it takes them to find each other.  It is nuts. 

• Like 2

Dawn the way the policy number located the Mother of the WTM lady a week ago was that she was using her Debit card or Credit card. The police went with her to the bank and they saw where her mom was and found her. Had the bank been closed who knows what might have happened. She went to run a nearby errand and was 90 minutes from home. If she had a phone where they could locate her that would have been wonderful. Fortunately she was OK

• Like 1

Dawn the way the policy number located the Mother of the WTM lady a week ago was that she was using her Debit card or Credit card. The police went with her to the bank and they saw where her mom was and found her. Had the bank been closed who knows what might have happened. She went to run a nearby errand and was 90 minutes from home. If she had a phone where they could locate her that would have been wonderful. Fortunately she was OK

Sorry. The spelling checker changed police to policy number..

• Like 1

AARP has tutorials on their website to help Seniors learn how to use Smart phones. In a place like PHX they probably have classes probably free. Info on AARP website. I saw an Extra on TV when the viewers in the USA got commercials. In the unlikely event they end up with Smart phones remember AARP

• Like 1

AARP has tutorials on their website to help Seniors learn how to use Smart phones. In a place like PHX they probably have classes probably free. Info on AARP website. I saw an Extra on TV when the viewers in the USA got commercials. In the unlikely event they end up with Smart phones remember AARP

Now you are assuming they go to websites!   :lol:   My DH just told them he YouTubes stuff all the time to fix things and they had no idea you could do that or how.  

My dad pretty much looks a few things up, reads and responds to text messages, and that is about it.

There is a REASON I know they need a flip phone.  Really, I am asking for flip phone advice because I NEED it, not because I need to know how to teach them how to use a smartphone.  

My mother has never touched a computer in her life.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

Ok, I think I may have found a phone and a plan.

Samsung has a phone called "Rugby" that is rugged and flip.

And you can stick a T-mobile SIM in it (well, any GSM SIM, but T-mobile seems to have the cheapest plans) and pay $3/mo ($10 per 90 days for 100 minutes.

That would be perfect.

• Like 3

And you can stick a T-mobile SIM in it (well, any GSM SIM, but T-mobile seems to have the cheapest plans) and pay $3/mo ($10 per 90 days for 100 minutes.

That would be perfect.

I assume that you are not talking about the Samsung Galaxy Rugby Pro. That's a Smart phone with , Android 4.0 when it came out according to the Samsung website

It does have some neat features. I wonder if new batteries are available for it? My phone has Android 4.4.2

I will search again for the Rugby. Good night! I hope they will be happy with what you select for them!!

• Like 1

That would be perfect.

I think T-MOBILE or US Mobile would be very good providers.

• Like 1

Consumer Cellular has reasonable plans and flip phones available. 

https://www.consumercellular.com/Products

$10/mo and that is just for the privilege of having their plan, it includes no minutes?

If I want any minutes, it is either pay as you go or $15/mo, which  puts me right back up to $30/mo for 40 min. MAX of calls.

I really need a cheaper plan for them.