Menu

Vermont in late September

stephanier.1765

I'm going to go visit my son and his fiance and attend her wedding shower in mid/late September. September in Florida is still hot. I won't even be thinking about my warm clothes yet so I have no idea what to take to wear. Is September one of those months that can go either way or will it definitely be cooler?

Well, yesterday I had to wear long pants & a sweatshirt.

So... From Florida, you're likely to be chilly if you try for summer clothing. But, it can go either way during the day in Sept.. Sometimes. It certainly won't be 95. Could be 60 or 35, really.

Definately think layers & shoes, not sandals.

You'll want a fleece jacket and pants for evenings, for sure.

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 6

I'm wearing a sweatshirt and jeans today, plus thin wool socks and hiking boots.  Late September could be chilly, but I'd wait to look at the weather forecasts in September.  You could always swing by Goodwill to pick up some warmer things if you need them.

Edited by Amy in NH
  • Like 1

Whereabouts in Vermont?

Because in Northern Vermont you could go leaf peeping and see some absolutely spectacular fall colors, pretty reliably, in the last weekend in September.  It's remarkable and definitely worth a drive.  

Wear layers, bring a warm coat and warm shoes or boots.

Newport. I don't know where that is in the state.  :closedeyes:  :huh:

Leaves would be awesome. I'm also hoping for some apple picking and a little hiking.

Leaves would be awesome. I'm also hoping for some apple picking and a little hiking.

Wow, that's so far north it's almost in Canada!

Definitely colder than we have said so far.  And you should see some great leaves!

You might consider getting a passport and driving to Montreal or Quebec--those are awesome French Canadian cities, and would make a nice side trip.  Maybe 90 minutes to Montreal from there, I think?

And yes, apple *something* will probably be in play.  It's fun to visit a cider mill that time of the year--I don't know whether there is one in the area or not though.  

• Like 2

Newport is in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont, almost on the Canadien border.  You should get foliage, apples, & hiking there easily.  Weather in late September could vary from low 60s to below freezing.  I lived in the Northeast Kingdom the year before I moved overseas.  It's a beautiful part of Vermont.

Edited by Deb in NZ
  • Like 2

Newport is in northern Vt right next to the border.  You will want to have a light jacket; sweatshirt; some long-sleeved shirts.  The weather in VT (I lived there for 20 years) is a lot like ME. It changes on a dime.  If you don't like the weather; just wait a minute...

Right now in ME, the days are warm, but it's getting quite chilly at night.

• Like 1

I've been in long pants and sweatshirts the past couple of days, so it'll probably be in the 80's in late Sept.  :lol:

You'll be here at the perfect time of year - apple picking, apple cider donuts, foliage, all the good stuff! Weather could go either way at the end of Sept, it could be in the 80's or we could get a frost. 

• Like 1

It will definitely be chilly for someone from Florida. Even if it's hot in the afternoon (and in late September that's not terribly likely), the evenings and mornings will be cold. Right now it's in the 50s at 10pm. To my Houston relatives, that is chilly, and I'm guessing Floridians feel the same way.

Chances are you won't consider our "hot" very hot, so pack for a Florida winter. You won't need shorts. Jeans or equivalent will be fine and have a fleece and a waterproof jacket.