Menu

homeschooling for only part of high school?

My daughter has always homeschooled, but is interested in trying public high school in tenth grade.  She thinks she might well choose to return to homeschooling in a semester or a year, but isn't sure.  Does anyone have any experience with kids doing a few years of full-time public high school, but not getting a diploma because they didn't meet all the graduation requirements?  How do colleges view that: I homeschooled for ninth (or ninth and tenth, or whatever) grade, and then I went to school for the rest of it but didn't officially graduate?  (Assume good grades.)

Will this look like the kid is basically a failed public school student with no diploma, or will they look like a student who was educated in two different ways at different times?  Anyone "been there"?

• Like 1

First, just to reassure you: a homeschool student who completes the credits needed for graduation IS an official graduate, and a parent-awarded diploma IS legal and valid. Homeschooling high school to completition does NOT mean "not an official graduate" and it does NOT mean "no diploma".

Moving between public high school and homeschooling during the high school years is not a problem, other than the extra administrative paperwork and record-keeping work that you, the parent, will need to track (or pay to have an organization do it for you).

When applying for college, your student would need to provide an official transcript from each school -- so, from your homeschool, from each public high school attended, AND official transcripts from any community college or university attended for dual enrollment/dual credit during high school.

You may also need to jump a few extra hoops as a homeschooler such as:

- submit an ACT/SAT score (required by a majority of universities, whether homeschooled or public schooled)

- submit a few SAT Subject test scores (only required by a less than 100 universities, mostly East Coast area)

- complete additional paperwork

- submit a portfolio of work (becoming a rare requirement)

Just to reiterate:

If the student goes to a public high school and then returns to homeschooling and completes your homeschool requirements for graduation (or state requirements, if you live in a state that regulates homeschool high school graduation requirements), your student graduates and receives your parent-awarded diploma. The parent-awarded diploma is valid and accepted by the vast majority of colleges, the U.S. Military, many international universities, and most employers.

If your student goes to a public high school, and then either stops and does nothing to complete the high school education, or returns to homeschooling but does not complete your homeschool requirements for graduation, then the student has not graduated (has "dropped out"), and your student would need to take the GED or TASC or other high school equivalency test in order to be able to apply to college.

A homeschool student who completes the credits needed for graduation IS an official graduate, and a parent-awarded diploma IS legal and valid, just as a public school diploma is legal and valid, and a parent-awarded high school diploma is accepted by the vast majority of schools and employers.

The only difference is that most high school diplomas are accredited, and most homeschool diplomas are not accredited, and there are a few situations in which an accredited diploma is the required policy. If you think an accredited diploma will be needed at some point in the future, during high school, work with an umbrella/cover school or organization (ex: Clonlara, Kolbe) or correspondence school (ex: American School) that has the recognized accreditation, and you pay for the umbrella organization to do record-keeping and awarding of the diploma. Or, if you live in GA, you can go through the accreditation process so that your homeschool is accredited, and so your diploma is accredited.

The few rare situations where you might have more difficulty:

- some of the New York CUNY and SUNY colleges are very difficult (but not impossible) about admitting homeschool graduates, even those who have gone the route of using a cover school/organization for accreditation

- if heading for the U.S. Military, graduate with a home-awarded diploma and NOT a GED  -- getting the GED drastically reduces the chances of enlistment and options for advancement even if you can get in with the GED

- many cosmetology and trade schools require either a GED or an ACCREDITED diploma for admission

- some overseas universities may require an accredited diploma for admission

Homeschooling has been increasingly more accepted and understood by colleges, employers, and the public, and so the number of problems with acceptance of having a homeschool diploma has drastically dropped to just the rare situation over the past 15 years.

BEST of luck as you consider your high school options! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

My daughter has always homeschooled, but is interested in trying public high school in tenth grade.  She thinks she might well choose to return to homeschooling in a semester or a year, but isn't sure.  Does anyone have any experience with kids doing a few years of full-time public high school, but not getting a diploma because they didn't meet all the graduation requirements?  How do colleges view that: I homeschooled for ninth (or ninth and tenth, or whatever) grade, and then I went to school for the rest of it but didn't officially graduate?  (Assume good grades.)

Will this look like the kid is basically a failed public school student with no diploma, or will they look like a student who was educated in two different ways at different times?  Anyone "been there"?

Depending on where you live, your local high school may not accept any of the classes your daughter took while homeschooling 9th grade.  In this situation, the high school would not permit your daughter to enroll in 10th grade; the school would require your daughter to enroll in 9th grade.

My friend's son returned to public school in 10th grade, but his public school accepted all of the credits he had on his transcript for 9th grade.  Had he lived in the neighboring district, he would have had to have repeated 9th grade.  When it was time to apply to college, he submitted both a transcript from the public school and some supplemental information describing his homeschooled year.

Good luck.

• Like 4

Talk to the high school.

When I signed my son up in 10th, the policy was to only accept credits from an accredited institution.  The other option was to take an EOC exam to show mastery of the material (80% or above required).  Anything else and the student was enrolled as a freshman, not a sophomore.  It was easy on them to see he had all his paperwork in order from an online accredited school and state exams completed.

• Like 1

In my state (FL), public schools will not accept credits from unaccredited schools or home school courses for a student who wishes to enroll at any point past the start of 9th grade.   However, homeschooled students may attend public schools part time for no more than 1/2 of their course load, while still being registered with the local school district as a homeschooled student.   Homeschooled students may also dual enroll at community college.   

Find out what the law says for your particular state, because every state is different.

• Like 2

Yes, do check with your high school.  I am in PA and have had no problem sending kids to ps in two different districts.  Both were very flexible with accepting the courses.

However, only one allowed mom grades on the transcript.  The other put pass or fail on the transcript.

You also have to be very careful of graduation requirements and electives.  They will require your student to take those; all of the electives your dd has taken so far may not count towards graduation credits.

In addition, our state now requires state exams in a handful of subjects to graduate.  Those must be taken.  For example, Algebra, Bio and Lit exams are required.  If dd took algebra 3 years ago and even took an AP Calc exam with a score of 5, she would still be required to take that state exam in order to graduate.

Re: diplomas.  I know that here in PA, homeschoolers can now be given an official state-issued diploma.  It does not need to be a mom-issued diploma - which is usually not a problem anyway.

ETA: Colleges won't care about going back and forth.  If crafted carefully and if it seems genuine, it can become part of her story.  

Edited by lisabees
  • Like 1

In my state (FL), public schools will not accept credits from unaccredited schools or home school courses for a student who wishes to enroll at any point past the start of 9th grade.   However, homeschooled students may attend public schools part time for no more than 1/2 of their course load, while still being registered with the local school district as a homeschooled student.   Homeschooled students may also dual enroll at community college.   

Find out what the law says for your particular state, because every state is different.

:iagree:

The policy is different in every state, and in some states, every district may have a different policy as well.  For example, my kids can take classes at our local public school, even though the state considers them homeschoolers.  However, if we lived in the adjacent district, the public school would not permit my kids to partially enroll.

• Like 1

Thanks for all these thoughtful replies!  And I'd love to hear any others.

A few followup comments:

--To clarify: I wouldn't plan to ask the high school to accept any of her homeschool credits.  We spoke with the school counselor last year and that (again, I think understandably) is a non-starter, as I had expected.  So that's not a particular concern of mine.

--Our local high school, however, is very welcoming about the idea of her taking classes at the appropriate grade level.  They just point out, reasonably, that they couldn't graduate her without her meeting all requirements.

--I worded my original post badly, as I completely agree with Lori D. and others that I am legally permitted to award a diploma as a homeschool parent.  So true!  

--My uncertainty is more about who awards a diploma if your kid is a full-time public schooler in twelfth grade but hasn't completed public-school graduation requirements (because of previous homeschooling).  I'm no longer a homeschool parent, so how could it be me?  But it obviously won't be the school, either.  

--Or, does it even matter, if all she wants to do after high school is apply to four-year colleges?  This is the overarching concern in our case--how this would all look to four-year, mid-range (not super selective) colleges.  Would they want to see a diploma?  If not, we don't care about it at all.  If so, umm, it couldn't be from the school, but how could it be from me because if my kid's in full-time public school I'm no longer legally a homeschool parent.  This twists my brain up, because if she public-schooled 9-11 and homeschooled 12, I'd totally see myself as legitimate to graduate her!  But if she homeschooled 9-11 and public-schooled 12, I don't see how that works.  Does that make sense?

Again, thank you all so much!  I appreciate the thoughts and advice, and love the usual vibe around these forums about respecting whatever is best for our individual kids (even when we ourselves are still figuring out what that is!)

--To clarify: I wouldn't plan to ask the high school to accept any of her homeschool credits.  We spoke with the school counselor last year and that (again, I think understandably) is a non-starter, as I had expected.  So that's not a particular concern of mine.

--Our local high school, however, is very welcoming about the idea of her taking classes at the appropriate grade level.  They just point out, reasonably, that they couldn't graduate her without her meeting all requirements.

If the high school does not accept any homeschool credits, then right off the bat it sounds like your options for a high school diploma (or equivalency) are:

1. regardless of what you do for schooling in grades 9-11, homeschool 12th grade and award a parent diploma

OR

2. DD starts back as a 9th grader, attends public high school for 4 years, and earns a public school diploma

OR

3. DD attends the public high school for grades 10-12, and after 12th grade takes the GED in lieu of public school graduation ceremony and diploma

I would suggest talking again with the school counselor and seeing if they will "test for credit" as suggested by previous posters. Many school districts will do this not only with homeschoolers, but also with students who transfer in from a different public high school. It's a pain and a lot of work for your DD to prep for all of those tests, but then her 9th grade credits are accepted and put on the public school transcript (because the credit has been validated by their test). And that would allow your DD to come in at 10th grade AND have the needed credits to graduate from the public high school at the end of 12th grade.

Another possible argument to help swing the school toward working with you: If your DD took an AP test or SAT Subject test at the end of 9th grade, or even a PSAT, ACT or SAT test, and scored well, you might use that to argue for how DD's statistics are going to make the school look good, so it is to their benefit to accept her 9th grade credits and let her in as a 10th grader. ;)

Another option: is the school willing to allow her to take a few individual classes each year? Then you are not enrolled full-time in the public school and you provide the diploma, not the school, because you are still homeschooling and you are the administrator. In this scenario, you are just outsourcing a few classes to a local provider (the public school) -- much like if you had DD take a few classes online. 

--My uncertainty is more about who awards a diploma if your kid is a full-time public schooler in twelfth grade but hasn't completed public-school graduation requirements (because of previous homeschooling).  I'm no longer a homeschool parent, so how could it be me?

You can't double dip when it comes to diplomas. ;)

If you choose to homeschool grades 9-11, but enroll in public school in 12th grade, you are voluntarily choosing to set aside your homeschool graduation requirements and the ability to award a parent diploma, and are choosing to put yourself under the public school's requirements for graduation to earn a public school diploma. For this school, that means repeating 9th grade credits if they will not accept your homeschool credits, or grant credit for test scores.

If you do public school for 1 or more years of high school, but choose to come home and homeschool for 12th grade, then your student is under your graduation requirements and you award the parent diploma. This means your student can go full time at the public school for grades 10 and 11, and (if allowed by the school), outsource a few classes of 12th grade at the school and homeschool the rest.

And, homeschooling 12th grade can mean a mix-and-match of options under your administration of her schooling: online classes, dual-enrollment at the local community college or university, CLEP tests for credits, AP courses at home and test at the school, etc.

--My uncertainty is more about who awards a diploma if your kid is a full-time public schooler in twelfth grade but hasn't completed public-school graduation requirements (because of previous homeschooling).  I'm no longer a homeschool parent, so how could it be me?  But it obviously won't be the school, either.  

This is the dilemma of "falling between 2 chairs", because you are right: YOU cannot legally award a homeschool diploma since you are not homeschooling, and the public school's policy prevents THEM from awarding their diploma.

If your student is full-time public school in 12th grade but hasn't completed public school graduation requirements, then she will either need to:

1. go an additional year at the public school and make up the missing credits (i.e. re-do 9th grade)

2. if the public school allows, take summer school classes and approved online courses throughout the years she is at the public school to make up the missing credits (i.e., re-do 9th grade)

3. leave the school after 12th grade without a diploma and take the GED

--Or, does it even matter, if all she wants to do after high school is apply to four-year colleges? 

Yes, it does matter, because DD will "fall between two chairs" and have no diploma, and she cannot be admitted to college without a diploma (or a GED). Universities and community colleges do not allow it.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Yes, it does matter, because DD will "fall between two chairs" and have no diploma, and she cannot be admitted to college without a diploma (or a GED). Universities and community colleges do not allow it.

The bolded is not true.  Neither of the schools my boys are attending requires the student to have a high school diploma or a GED.  I know that there are many other colleges that fall into this category.  That being said, I would want my kids to have a high school diploma in case they needed it later in life.

ETA:  OP, does your district permit partial enrollment?  That would give you the best of both worlds: you would be in charge of awarding the high school diploma, while your daughter could take many of her classes at the high school.

Edited by snowbeltmom
  • Like 1

The bolded is not true.  Neither of the schools my boys are attending requires the student to have a high school diploma or a GED.  I know that there are many other colleges that fall into this category.  That being said, I would want my kids to have a high school diploma in case they needed it later in life.

Wow, that's a first for me.  :eek:  I've not seen any 4-year university that didn't require either a diploma or a GED for admission!

And totally agree about the diploma needed later in life -- it's a requirement on SO many job applications. And, while not a frequent occurrence, more than once on these boards, I've seen parents posting that they had to come up with a portfolio or a high school diploma for their student who was a COLLEGE graduate and was either applying for a job or for a Master's program. Crazy that the Bachelor's degree was not sufficient!

• Like 3

ETA:  OP, does your district permit partial enrollment?  That would give you the best of both worlds: you would be in charge of awarding the high school diploma, while your daughter could take many of her classes at the high school.

This issue has been discussed here in past years.  I thought there were only several schools that actually require a diploma.  I may be remembering incorrectly.  None of the 25 or so schools my kids have applied to required a diploma. 

ETA:  One of my clients this year (I am a PA homeschool evaluator) did need something that was more than most.  This is from the New School in NY:

Homeschool applicants must provide the equivalent of a high school transcript with course or subject titles, duration of study for each title, content of study for each title, and an assessment of performance or “grade.†Preferably, the courses completed at home are part of a curriculum developed and evaluated by a nationally recognized diploma-granting organization or agency. If not connected with such an organization, homeschool applicants must obtain and submit a GED as confirmation of completing a generally acceptable secondary school curriculum. If an official transcript from a state homeschool association or sponsoring public high school is not available, homeschool students must submit an equivalency or GED, TASC, or HiSET exam results. Individual homeschool transcripts with date of completion do not suffice as official proof of graduation.

Edited by lisabees

This issue has been discussed here in past years.  I thought there were only several schools that actually require a diploma.  I may be remembering incorrectly.  None of the 25 or so schools my kids have applied to required a diploma. 

ETA:  One of my clients this year (I am a PA homeschool evaluator) did need something that was more than most.  This is from the New School in NY:

Homeschool applicants must provide the equivalent of a high school transcript with course or subject titles, duration of study for each title, content of study for each title, and an assessment of performance or “grade.†Preferably, the courses completed at home are part of a curriculum developed and evaluated by a nationally recognized diploma-granting organization or agency. If not connected with such an organization, homeschool applicants must obtain and submit a GED as confirmation of completing a generally acceptable secondary school curriculum. If an official transcript from a state homeschool association or sponsoring public high school is not available, homeschool students must submit an equivalency or GED, TASC, or HiSET exam results. Individual homeschool transcripts with date of completion do not suffice as official proof of graduation.

:eek:   How many states have a state homeschool association?  What is a state homeschool association?  How many public high schools sponser homeschoolers?  Again, I don't even understand what this  means. :confused:  

I get a letter each year from my county stating my kids  kid is excused from compulsory schooling, but that is it.

Thankfully, my kids have no interest in New School, but geez, what a discriminatory policy.  I always find it annoying when I read of schools that wouldn't trust a homeschooler's transcript, even when the homeschooler has SAT, SAT II's and AP exam scores as validation.  Meanwhile, the transcripts of the public schooled kids in my district would be trusted despite the fact that my district hands out A's like candy at Halloween, but the students get 1 and 2's on the corresponding AP exams. 

• Like 2

:eek:   How many states have a state homeschool association?  What is a state homeschool association?  How many public high schools sponser homeschoolers?  Again, I don't even understand what this  means. :confused:

I get a letter each year from my county stating my kids  kid is excused from compulsory schooling, but that is it.

Thankfully, my kids have no interest in New School, but geez, what a discriminatory policy.  I always find it annoying when I read of schools that wouldn't trust a homeschooler's transcript, even when the homeschooler has SAT, SAT II's and AP exam scores as validation.  Meanwhile, the transcripts of the public schooled kids in my district would be trusted despite the fact that my district hands out A's like candy at Halloween, but the students get 1 and 2's on the corresponding AP exams. 

Agreed!  I mean, they saw enough to accept the student.  He had those outside scores.

He was NOT part of any state homeschool association.  PA now allows homeschoolers to have a state-issued diploma.  This is signed by the parent and the evaluator.  It's as official as a homeschooler can get.  I also signed this student's transcript.  In addition, his evaluation letter was more specific than my normal ones (and Mom submitted to New School, which isn't typical) - saying that he had a rigorous education and that he officially graduated.  As far as I know, all was accepted.  But I do wish someone would talk to that school about homeschooler requirements.

• Like 1

Agreed!  I mean, they saw enough to accept the student.  He had those outside scores.

He was NOT part of any state homeschool association.  PA now allows homeschoolers to have a state-issued diploma.  This is signed by the parent and the evaluator.  It's as official as a homeschooler can get.  I also signed this student's transcript.  In addition, his evaluation letter was more specific than my normal ones (and Mom submitted to New School, which isn't typical) - saying that he had a rigorous education and that he officially graduated.  As far as I know, all was accepted.  But I do wish someone would talk to that school about homeschooler requirements.

I wonder how many states have a similar policy?  My guess is not many, but I would like to find out I was wrong.

Ohio recently passed a law stipulating that a diploma issued by a homeschool were just as valid as those issued by a public school, but I doubt this law would be much help in dealing with a college like New School.

• Like 1

I spoke with our local 4 year University and the only thing they require from homeschoolers is a transcript and ACT score.  The only thing the transcript has to include is 4 years of Math, 4 of English, 3 Sciences (2 with lab), 2 Social Sciences, 2 Foreign Language, and 1 Fine Arts.  No actual Diploma required.  They are very homeschool friendly and the admissions guy said the transcript could be handwritten on a napkin, lol, but he'd prefer typed on paper.

Another option for OP is to Homeschool the last semester of 12th grade.  Or at that time DD may have enough credits to either graduate with her class or do 1 more semester (summer school, online options?) and graduate from P.S.

All of these posts about colleges not requiring a high school diploma is suddenly making it clear why there have been those instances of someone having a Bachelor's degree AND needing to show the high school diploma.

And why my community college DOES require a diploma or a GED.

And why trade schools and cosmetology schools require a diploma or a GED.

Very enlightening! :)

• Like 1

Okay, you all are great.  Thanks.  You've validated my sense that this could become a problem if she was in school in twelfth without having satisfied public school grad requirements.  That helps a ton to know about.  It's also great to know that a diploma (issued by the school or by me) may be very important.  We'll be sure to make a plan that will assure some kind of diploma.

And yes, she's considering as a different option taking a class or two at the high school as a homeschooler.  She did that last year and it worked out well.  Now she needs decide whether she wants to try full-time, or stick with a more eclectic approach as a homeschooler.

This has really helped both of us.  (She has read all your replies too and is grateful.)   :001_smile:

• Like 1

All of these posts about colleges not requiring a high school diploma is suddenly making it clear why there have been those instances of someone having a Bachelor's degree AND needing to show the high school diploma.

I still don't get why someone with a bachelor's degree would have to show a high school diploma. :confused:   I know it happens, but I don't understand the rationale behind the requirement.  I would think that a bachelor's degree would indicate a higher level of academic achievement than a high school diploma.  What am I missing. :confused: :confused:

• Like 2

I still don't get why someone with a bachelor's degree would have to show a high school diploma. :confused:   I know it happens, but I don't understand the rationale behind the requirement.  I would think that a bachelor's degree would indicate a higher level of academic achievement than a high school diploma.  What am I missing. :confused: :confused:

I know I have shown my bachelor's degree in lieu of a high school diploma with no problem.

I've done it in order to homeschool here in PA!

Depending on where you live, your local high school may not accept any of the classes your daughter took while homeschooling 9th grade.  In this situation, the high school would not permit your daughter to enroll in 10th grade; the school would require your daughter to enroll in 9th grade.

My friend's son returned to public school in 10th grade, but his public school accepted all of the credits he had on his transcript for 9th grade.  Had he lived in the neighboring district, he would have had to have repeated 9th grade.  When it was time to apply to college, he submitted both a transcript from the public school and some supplemental information describing his homeschooled year.

Good luck.

Here in AZ some public charters are more generous with home school credits versus the public high schools - maybe in your state also.

good luck

that is plain stupid - having to show a high school diploma after a bachelor's degree  :cursing:

• Like 2

Which is a good reason why good colleges should use nationwide standard exams such as the AP, ACT or SAT as a key component of acceptance of "knowledge gained and understood" which is the primary goal of education.

For example, colleges requiring home schoolers to take certain SAT 2 subject tests makes sense to help certify the grades.

I would add any state college In CA to the list of colleges/situations in which a homeschool transcript and diploma is not accepted. they have other ways they'll ask you to prove yourself which can be pretty demanding.

Just an FYI if your dd is California dreaming (now we can all sing the song)

I think this varies by school and where you apply from. UCSD accepted DS as an out of state applicant. He had a homeschool transcript. He did have AP scores and subject tests and dual enrollment grades. They did not ask for anything that wasn't already included in the applications he sent to other schools.