Menu

WWYD? I would definitely like to hear from our college professors!

AppleGreen

Our family is planning a little solar eclipse excursion, BUT we are not due to come home until Tuesday, the day following the eclipse. I am taking one class at the local university and my first day of class will be the day we are set to return. The class is first thing in the morning, so I will need to come home the evening before or get up very early in order to make it for the first class. 

So, do I come home early to make it to the first class or e-mail the professor and explain the situation, potentially missing the first day of class? How big of a deal is missing the first day? (I would normally never consider missing the first class, but the solar eclipse doesn't come around every year, yk? I put off going last fall because our family had a big trip planned that fell over exam week, so delaying another semester is not ideal) And if it matters, the class is an intro class in a field I already hold an undergraduate degree in. 

What say the hive?

I'm not a college professor so this is just my two cents.

E-mail or call the prof NOW and explain what you'll be doing, thus you'll have to miss the first day,

and is there anything you need to work on between now and the time you'll see him/her in the next class.

As long as you make contact ahead of time, and explain what you're doing, I think any reasonable

professor will be accommodating.

• Like 6

I would inform the teacher that you are traveling and will miss the first class, apologize, and ask him how you can get any missed materials beyond what's on the syllabus / in the textbook.  That way he doesn't feel like you think his class is unimportant.

If he counts class participation as part of the grade, you might still get dinged.  But I'd go forward with your plans anyway.

• Like 3

I'm not a college professor so this is just my two cents.

E-mail or call the prof NOW and explain what you'll be doing, thus you'll have to miss the first day,

and is there anything you need to work on between now and the time you'll see him/her in the next class.

As long as you make contact ahead of time, and explain what you're doing, I think any reasonable

professor will be accommodating.

Unfortunately, as a post bacc student, I am not able to register for class until a week before class starts, so I am not technically enrolled in the class yet. 

First class is actually pretty important here. If there is a waitlist, they may think you are dropping and put someone else in your spot, so definitely contact the instructor in advance.

At this point there are still 7 seats available. According to the liaison of the department, they don't anticipate it being a full class. I specifically asked about that because of my late registration date and my concern that there would not be space by the time I was allowed to register. 

I will definitely contact the professor if I am not going to make the first class. 

2ds is doing summer quarter, and we were traveling the first couple days.  he got online, made contact, and did what he could.  and he's been that student who was attending class just waiting for someone to "not show up the first day" so he could get the official slot. 

so as soon as you register - let the prof know you are traveling, apologize for any inconvenience, and assure you will be there the second day.

• Like 1

You should contact the professor now and explain, and ask what you can do to make up the work.

To be honest: missing the first class because of planned personal travel (as opposed to unavoidable emergencies) creates an unfavorable first impression which may take some effort to undo. I personally would choose to get up early to attend the class.

• Like 21

A former college professor here. I also agree with Regentrude. If you are going to miss the first class, I would contact the professor ASAP (even if you aren't officially registered yet) to explain, apologize, and ask what you can do. First classes are, however, usually full of important information. It could be a pain in the neck (for both the professor and you) to make up the work. A student missing the first class sticks in the teacher's memory and not in a good way. I would make every effort to be there.

• Like 3

My husband is a prof and I agree. It is not a good way to start the semester. It is not impossible for you to be there. I would advise my children to do what it took to make that first class.

It is not as if the starting date is a mystery. College students should plan around the academic calendar. I am sorry if that is harsh.

• Like 2

Not harsh at all. I actually never considered not being there until my husband said something about it. I asked because I was curious if it was no big deal (like my husband thinks) or a pretty big deal (like I feel).

Clearly, he and I had very different undergrad experiences.  :tongue_smilie:

Thanks all!

• Like 2

he's been that student who was attending class just waiting for someone to "not show up the first day" so he could get the official slot. 

Poor kid who gets a flat tire on the way to class. Prof says,  "Sorry to hear about your car but I gave your seat away!"

My experience has always been that until you officially withdraw from a class they don't just send you away. 

Don't most colleges/universities have a drop/add period? I would think lots of classes have a change in class roster in the first few days. 

Poor kid who gets a flat tire on the way to class. Prof says,  "Sorry to hear about your car but I gave your seat away!"

My experience has always been that until you officially withdraw from a class they don't just send you away. 

Don't most colleges/universities have a drop/add period? I would think lots of classes have a change in class roster in the first few days. 

they have withdrawn - but some literally don't withdraw until the first day of class.(or even later)

As a professor, this is the type of thing I do find annoying.  This is not an unavoidable absence.  There is even a way to accomplish what you would like (seeing the eclipse) and getting to class.  It sends a message about the students' priorities.  

Overall it probably will not impact your class performance, but it sets up a situation where you are behind to begin with.  Then, if there are reasons why you must miss (illness, flat tire, death in the family, etc.) the professor is less likely to be accommodating.  

• Like 5

Also a former professor, and voting yes it is important to attend the first class. 

I am in a good-sized city at 99% of totality. We are advised to expect traffic apocalypse Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday for the eclipse. You may want to factor unusual congestion into your plans. 

• Like 6

A student missing the first class sticks in the teacher's memory and not in a good way. I would make every effort to be there.

In addition to what everyone else has said, I'd like to teach my kids that success in college sometimes requires a bit of personal sacrifice.  Modeling that yourself, by merely getting up early to go to the first class teaches them that lesson in ways that just talking about it doesn't.

• Like 1

I am in a good-sized city at 99% of totality. We are advised to expect traffic apocalypse Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday for the eclipse. You may want to factor unusual congestion into your plans. 

Yes, the OP absolutely needs to factor in extra travel time! It will be super heavy in and near even the smaller cities in the direct path.

My university has a policy that if you aren't present on the first day of class, you're automatically dropped.  However, my last English class had a student who had apparently made arrangements with the teacher -she couldn't start attending until the second week of class so her seat was saved.  But some professors are not so nice.  I wouldn't risk it and would do everything possible to get to class.

We are driving 12 hours to see the eclipse. My kids' orientation to middle and high schools is day of eclipse and first day is day after. The eclipse is literally once in a lifetime. With traffic, I expect they will miss first day as well as orientation. They're just going to have to suck it up. I've been waiting my whole life for this.

Agree with the others, the professor will probably not see this as a favorable choice, but that depends on the professor and the policies of the school.  If you can make both I would do so, if at all possible.

That being said, I have a lot of family in the educational system including a couple of college professors.  Some feel that special life experiences trump missing one class and if the student is willing to work to make it up and to recognize that the professor put time and effort into prepping for that first day of class and the student is willing to accept that they may be starting off less than smoothly then go for it.  In other words, some college professors see college classes as only part of the bigger picture of life and if something special is happening that can be just as important as one class day.

I guess, besides contacting the professor,  you need to ask yourself what YOUR priorities are here, not your DH's.  Do YOU feel you should be in that class on the first day?  Will it bother you if you miss it?  Will it bother you if you start off on a bad foot with your prof?

ETA: altered for clarity

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 1

Agree with the others, the professor will probably not see this as a favorable choice, but that depends on the professor and the policies of the school.  If you can make both I would do so, if at all possible.

That being said, I have a lot of family in the educational system including a couple of college professors.  Some feel that special life experiences trump missing one class and if the student is willing to work to make it up and to recognize that the professor put time and effort into prepping for that first day of class and they are willing to accept that they may be starting off less than smoothly then go for it.  In other words, they see college classes as only part of the bigger picture of life and if something special is happening that can be just as important as one class day.

I guess, besides contacting the professor,  you need to ask yourself what YOUR priorities are here, not your DH's.  Do YOU feel you should be in that class on the first day?  Will it bother you if you didn't?  Will it bother you if you start off on a bad foot with your prof?

Good points. Another tip to the OP would be to make sure the professor knows that you will seek help from your classmates on what you missed and what you need to know. That you will not expect your professor to go over everything for you after he/she has already done so for the class.

• Like 4

Good points. Another tip to the OP would be to make sure the professor knows that you will seek help from your classmates on what you missed and what you need to know. That you will not expect your professor to go over everything for you after he/she has already done so for the class.

Oh, and please, do not ask the professor whether you will "miss anything important". Pet peeve of mine and of many colleagues.

• Like 9

Oh, and please, do not ask the professor whether you will "miss anything important". Pet peeve of mine and of many colleagues.

Dh has had students ask him which half of the class the test was going to be in and if it was important to be there for the other half.

WTH? They obviously go to school for a piece of paper and not for an education. 

He was shocked the first time. Now he says something like "I don't know what half of the class it's going to be in, I'll decide when I get there, based on whether or not the class once a review first. I might do a mini-lesson before or after, you'll just have to wait to find out". Now, if he knew someone was having a real temp issue with a class session, he'd give them more of a heads up or let them come in to staff study to take it with a proctor at another time.

I'm an online professor now, but the college I used to work for had us file a report with all of the students who missed the first day of class. They all got an email from the dean reminding them that the first day of class is important and that they will be dropped if they miss the second class, regardless of the circumstances. We were also told that the first day should not be just logistics; we were supposed to teach content and give them an assignment if at all possible to get them started off right away.

I've always told mine that other than a high fever/major injury, hospitalization, or death in the family, they're expected to attend the first day.

• Like 2

Dh has had students ask him which half of the class the test was going to be in and if it was important to be there for the other half.

I taught once-a-week evening classes for years. Logistically, it always made sense to give exams in the second half so that I could cover content in the first half.

So I told them that it was an automatic -10 points off their test if they weren't present during the first half. I live in an area with horrible traffic, so I had to be somewhat flexible. I set up an attendance "quiz" in the course management system and wrote the password on the board. The "quiz" would expire 30 minutes after the hour, so I'd know who was late or didn't come for the first half. Of course sometimes a student was later than 30 minutes due to factors beyond their control, but it eliminated those who wanted to come only for the test.

Pet peeve of mine is when profs spend the entire first class on reading the syllabus out loud. I can read, TYVM, so, no, I did not "miss anything important" (fwiw, I do go to the first class... but I've only encountered a couple of times that the prof said "y'all can read the syllabus yourselves" and spent the entire first class teaching).

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 2

When I was in school, I could take verbatim notes. Not everything the person standing in the front of the room says is important.

That's one of the skills students need to develop...is Person Up There just blah,blah,blahing? Or is this an integral concept that is needed to comprehend the course material?

Edited by unsinkable

Pet peeve of mine is when profs spend the entire first class on reading the syllabus out loud. I can read, TYVM, so, no, I did not "miss anything important" (fwiw, I do go to the first class... but I've only encountered a couple of times that the prof said "y'all can read the syllabus yourselves" and spent the entire first class teaching).

Yes, that's annoying. I spend five minutes introducing myself, answering questions, and then teach content for the remaining 45 minutes. 15 minutes introduction into the field, 30 minutes essential, foundational concepts.

OTOH, the expectation that students actually read the syllabus is misplaced. Most don't. I have made a video where I explain them the - already perfectly clear- syllabus and assign it to watch before coming to class on the first day. To give an "incentive" to watch the video and read the syllabys, I also give an online quiz over the syllabus.

However, there are still plenty of students who ask questions that are clearly answered in the syllabus. With 600 students, that gets annoying pretty quickly. Perhaps the most irritating one, which I get from multiple students every semester: "In the syllabus, it says there are no labs the first week of class. Does that mean there are no labs?"  :banghead:

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 6

I don't think I was ever in a class small enough that anyone would know if I was missing. And if they did my not being there is my problem not theirs. If anyone is likely to care though I would come home the night before and start the year on the right foot after a night's sleep in my own bed.

Yes, that's annoying. I spend five minutes introducing myself, answering questions, and then teach content for the remaining 45 minutes. 15 minutes introduction into the field, 30 minutes essential, foundational concepts.

OTOH, the expectation that students actually read the syllabus is misplaced. Most don't. I have made a video where I explain them the - already perfectly clear- syllabus and assign it to watch before coming to class on the first day. To give an "incentive" to watch the video and read the syllabys, I also give an online quiz over the syllabus.

However, there are still plenty of students who ask questions that are clearly answered in the syllabus. With 600 students, that gets annoying pretty quickly. Perhaps the most irritating one, which I get from multiple students every semester: "In the syllabus, it says there are no labs the first week of class. Does that mean there are no labs?"  :banghead:

Yes, when I was in the classroom, I always gave a syllabus quiz due 5 days after the first class. At the community college, only about 3/4 of them did it. Other than what you do, I only showed them the cover of the book and access code, explained the rules for the use of the computers, and went over why that course was mandatory for most majors.

This is why it can be so hard to go back to school when there are other life obligations. Besides the importance of starting out the semester on the right foot, perhaps you can set a precedent for yourself and your family that this is going to be a priority for you.

I am not in any way suggesting that your family is unsupportive!

Dh has done similar quizzes. They were usually extra credit points, added to the first test. And at least one question was only answerable if you actually attended the first class. And he definitely teaches during the first class.

And at least one question was only answerable if you actually attended the first class. 

I personally dislike this type of questions. I also dislike reading quizzes that ask things like "was the object dropped in the example in the book a ball, a hammer, or a bucket?"

I see the motivation behind those questions: to get students to attend/read. However, philosophically I believe that a student who fully knows and understands the material should not be penalized for not attending/not reading the text. I don't care where they know the material from - if they have mastered it, they should get an A.

So, I am not asking in my syllabus quiz "What color shirt was your instructor wearing in the video?" because I don't care whether they watch or whether they simply read the syllabus or have a friend recite it out loud. I care that they know the content  - because that cuts down the volume of unnecessary questions I have to answer.

So I definitely test the material that is covered in the first class, but a student may have learned this from the book, a classmate's notes, my online lectures, or simply previous knowledge.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

I personally dislike this type of questions. I also dislike reading quizzes that ask things like "was the object dropped in the example in the book a ball, a hammer, or a bucket?"

I see the motivation behind those questions: to get students to attend/read. However, philosophically I believe that a student who fully knows and understands the material should not be penalized for not attending/not reading the text. I don't care where they know the material from - if they have mastered it, they should get an A.

So, I am not asking in my syllabus quiz "What color shirt was your instructor wearing in the video?" because I don't care whether they watch or whether they simply read the syllabus or have a friend recite it out loud. I care that they know the content  - because that cuts down the volume of unnecessary questions I have to answer.

So I definitely test the material that is covered in the first class, but a student may have learned this from the book, a classmate's notes, my online lectures, or simply previous knowledge.

It was 1 out of 20 questions. He, along with other professors, were trying to find ways to encourage attendance of the first class as there were overall problems with students thinking the first class wasn't important "as all you do is go over the syllabus". They were trying to find a variety ways to emphasize that you really should be there.

It was 1 out of 20 questions. He, along with other professors, were trying to find ways to encourage attendance of the first class as there were overall problems with students thinking the first class wasn't important "as all you do is go over the syllabus". They were trying to find a variety ways to emphasize that you really should be there.

I wish we could just stop doing all the "encouraging" AKA coaxing, prodding, bribing, and simply let the students fail who don't bother to put the work in. The amount of time and effort instructors spend on making students do what they could and should do for themselves is staggering, and it also creates busywork that some students would not need.

I wish I did not have to give quizzes (which serve to "encourage" attendance) or collect homework (to "encourage" homework completion) and simply test them on what they know. I'd be happy to post homework solutions for self checking, hold help sessions to assist students who want to work through the problems.. let's just get rid of all the ridiculous little grades that treat the students like kindergarteners and not adults. A woman can dream, right?

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

I wish we could just stop doing all the "encouraging" AKA coaxing, prodding, bribing, and simply let the students fail who don't bother to put the work in. The amount of time and effort instructors spend on making students do what they could and should do for themselves is staggering, and it also creates busywork that some students would not need.

I wish I did not have to give quizzes (which serve to "encourage" attendance) or collect homework (to "encourage" homework completion) and simply test them on what they know. I'd be happy to post homework solutions for self checking, hold help sessions to assist students who want to work through the problems.. let's just get rid of all the ridiculous little grades that treat the students like kindergarteners and not adults. A woman can dream, right?

Dh would agree with you. It is a major deal at his school if more than 5% of the class fails, even if it's because they didn't do the work, etc......... And an even bigger deal if a student protests the grade that they earned. As he will always say "I don't give grades, you earn grades". But that one syllabus quiz is pretty much the only extra credit he ever gives. And he does it because it's expected by the dept. chair.

OTOH, the expectation that students actually read the syllabus is misplaced. Most don't.

Right, I wasn't saying you did... just explaining why some students might ask if anything important is going to be covered. Personally, if I had a need to ask about the first class period, I'd probably ask whether anything other than the syllabus is going to be covered... but there's just no good way to make sure someone isn't going to be annoyed. 

And unfortunately, I know what you mean about the syllabus... if graduate library school students can't find info in the syllabus (given to them on paper and available online), then you pretty much can abandon all hope.  :svengo:

I wish we could just stop doing all the "encouraging" AKA coaxing, prodding, bribing, and simply let the students fail who don't bother to put the work in. 

They seem to be much more willing to do that in Europe. Though I do remember one time that they gave such a big curve on an Organic Chemistry final that it made me go  :banghead:

I plan on getting up early the morning of the first class and being present. I think with traffic, it will be a better bet for me to get up early than leave Monday and sit in traffic for many hours. It is less than a 3 hour drive, so totally manageable. As soon as I realized classes would be underway, my intention was to be present for the class. That is just how I am.

For the record, after my freshman year, I am pretty sure I can count on one hand the number of classes I missed. I am a very diligent and conscientious student and am fully aware of how much effort goes into teaching. I am a grown woman and can handle my shit, I definitely would never expect a professor to make special arrangements for me if I missed a class. 

• Like 5

I plan on getting up early the morning of the first class and being present. I think with traffic, it will be a better bet for me to get up early than leave Monday and sit in traffic for many hours. It is less than a 3 hour drive, so totally manageable. As soon as I realized classes would be underway, my intention was to be present for the class. That is just how I am.

For the record, after my freshman year, I am pretty sure I can count on one hand the number of classes I missed. I am a very diligent and conscientious student and am fully aware of how much effort goes into teaching. I am a grown woman and can handle my shit, I definitely would never expect a professor to make special arrangements for me if I missed a class.

These threads always seem to take a turn into a nuance of the situation that is not applicable. Sometimes I will post something seemingly pretty innocent and wind up going "How did they ever get that from my post?"

You are great. I don't think anyone is accusing you, specifically, of being a slacker. Good luck to you!!

• Like 1

I think you'll be happy with that decision. Doing the family thing and being in class. I would encourage to still plan for extra traffic. I would imagine that there will be plenty of people staying the night & leaving the next day.