Menu

Which packaging looks best? Swag help please!

ktgrok

Which packaging should I use?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Which packaging should I use?

• tied with paw print ribbon
    • sealed with sticker, folded to front
    • sealed with sticker, folded to the back (not shown)
    • stapled
  2. 2. so I need to indicate the brand of dog treat?

• no, it's free stuff
    • yes, put a label in the bag
    • yes, put a label on the basket the bags will be in
    • print out stickers and put on the back of the bag
    • other

I'm going to be at the Romance Writers of America conference starting tomorrow, and am putting together my swag. This will be given away in the free goody room and on my table during the big charity book signing. People come from all over, so this will be going in someone's suitcase, etc if that matters.

Bags contain a double sided printed postcard type thing with info about me and my books and a few Old Mother Hubbard dog treats.

Also, do I need to somehow label what dog treats they are? I don't want to have to put another piece of paper in there, but could type something up and put it in there I guess.af460ea45c7b9c719ddca9bb1eceed1a.jpg2e37ddd35c17f1f36cb8d5b880975d5d.jpg75b16593e7c588e25925ecf04e7fa2b7.jpg52e19b92ae718abb98a69cc40fe36f0b.jpg

SaveSave

Edited by ktgrok

I don't have a dog so totally ignorant...

Would knowing brand and flavor(?) of dog treat help people be able to give them to their dogs? Might people not trust freebie treats if they don't know the brand?

Also, do you plan/is it feasible to have cards without treats? Since I don't have a dog I wouldn't want to take the treats.

Have a great time!

• Like 2

Will it be unmistakably clear that those are dog treats? I'm not a dog person, and I'm not sure what your "story" is ;) but if this is a conference intended for humans and you write stories about dogs, I might be dumb enough, and hungry enough, to think you were giving away cute people-treats shaped like dog-treats.

So I vote for labeling it somehow. Because even for humans who wouldn't mistake a dog treat for a personal snack, they might have dogs on special diets, right?

• Like 8

Ribbon! Love it!

One thing that may or may not matter - on the ingredients - if someone comes from a family like mine, I'd need to know what the dog treats contain. So many contain peanut butter. My dogs don't eat neatly, and I can't have potentially lethal crumbs in the house. Or if doggy licks DS after eating ... hives at a minimum. You could even throw on a peanut/nut free sticker. I think that's the main ingredient we worry about with dog treats, anything else, I'm ok with as DS wouldn't eat it! :) Then again, for a freebie, maybe this isn't an issue.

• Like 1

You could do a larger sticker, on kraft or frosted matte stickers - maybe 2" square? - that has a graphic of your signature or your logo or the book's logo (I'm not sure how these things work in publishing but your signature would be fine), a very brief blurb saying thanks for your interest, these are dog treats and here are the ingredients/allergy warnings.

• Like 1

I don't have a dog so totally ignorant...

Would knowing brand and flavor(?) of dog treat help people be able to give them to their dogs? Might people not trust freebie treats if they don't know the brand?

Also, do you plan/is it feasible to have cards without treats? Since I don't have a dog I wouldn't want to take the treats.

Have a great time!

Thats what I'm wondering. 

Also, yes, I will have cards out with no treat. And a few bags with a cat toy instead of a dog treats :)

• Like 2

Will it be unmistakably clear that those are dog treats? I'm not a dog person, and I'm not sure what your "story" is ;) but if this is a conference intended for humans and you write stories about dogs, I might be dumb enough, and hungry enough, to think you were giving away cute people-treats shaped like dog-treats.

So I vote for labeling it somehow. Because even for humans who wouldn't mistake a dog treat for a personal snack, they might have dogs on special diets, right?

I tried to get ones that looked like dog treats for this reason, but you never know! There was a marathon in I think Japan or somewhere where the swag bags had grape scented soap in them and people thought they were protein bars and ate them!

SaveSave

• Like 1

Ribbon! Love it!

One thing that may or may not matter - on the ingredients - if someone comes from a family like mine, I'd need to know what the dog treats contain. So many contain peanut butter. My dogs don't eat neatly, and I can't have potentially lethal crumbs in the house. Or if doggy licks DS after eating ... hives at a minimum. You could even throw on a peanut/nut free sticker. I think that's the main ingredient we worry about with dog treats, anything else, I'm ok with as DS wouldn't eat it! :) Then again, for a freebie, maybe this isn't an issue.

I actually got the NOT peanut butter ones because I was worried I'd kill someone or something! But of course, if they aren't labeled that way people wouldn't know. 

SaveSave

• Like 2

Rebel Yell and Spryte make good points.

Maybe you could print a label about the treats and use the label to close the bag folded toward the back.

I may do this. Or if I do the ribbon, still put a sticker on the bag. At least with that the ARE for dogs, brand of treat, and that they are nut free. Or at least list the variety/flavor they are, so people can google if they really want to know. 

• Like 2

I may do this. Or if I do the ribbon, still put a sticker on the bag. At least with that the ARE for dogs, brand of treat, and that they are nut free. Or at least list the variety/flavor they are, so people can google if they really want to know. 

if you use the sticker to fold the back to the back - you can still use the ribbon.  either paper punch two holes from front to back with the ribbon threaded through and tied in front.  or even just make a bow and hot glue it.