Menu

Moms in Bikinis

Ginevra

I'm planning a trip to the beach in August and I am planning to wear a bikini. I am 46 years old and have given birth to four babies. Do you think this is wrong?

I'm just kidding. 😊 Well, not totally kidding; I am going to the beach and will wear a bikini. I was just reminded of posts we used to get to war over every year, but I haven't seen this topic in a few years.

• Like 17

I'm just jealous I can't pull it off. Although...no I think I could. I'd just need to hide from the belly button down. The rest is ok.

Get a sarong wrap!

• Like 3

I'm planning a trip to the beach in August and I am planning to wear a bikini. I am 46 years old and have given birth to four babies. Do you think this is wrong?

I'm just kidding. 😊 Well, not totally kidding; I am going to the beach and will wear a bikini. I was just reminded of posts we used to get to war over every year, but I haven't seen this topic in a few years.

Nope. My mom wore a bikini for a long time, and it was fine. If you got it, flaunt it. And if you don't got it, wear what you want anyway!

• Like 9

Ha!i have always worn a bikini. Not string but yeah, a two piece. The few I have are worn out and I keep shopping and finding nothing. The other day I thought 'yah know, I am 52, maybe it is time to give up the two piece'

No. I just can't.

Any suggestions to find a good fitting two pic that is made for a size 10 instead of a size 4?

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 1

Ha!i have always worn a bikini. Not string but yeah, a two piece. The few I have are worn out and I keep shopping and finding nothing. The other day I thought 'yah know, I am 52, maybe it is time to give ip throw piece'

No. I just can't.

Any suggestions to find a good fitting two pic that is made for a size 10 instead of a size 4?

I don't know, but good, well-made bathing suits seem to be awfully expensive. I was debating getting a new one because mine are old. Several years old at least. But then, they are so expensive!

I would suggest Athleta or Title IX, but = expensive.

• Like 1

I think whatever you wear should be functional. If you are riding waves, then you need something that fits well enough that it doesn't come off! If you are tanning, you need something that will give you the tan lines you want. If you have a small bladder and make multiple trips to the bathroom, then you need something that is easy to take off. And then there is the consideration of needed support for your shape to keep you comfortable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don't know, but good, well-made bathing suits seem to be awfully expensive. I was debating getting a new one because mine are old. Several years old at least. But then, they are so expensive!

I would suggest Athleta or Title IX, but = expensive.

If you get a few years use out of a swim suit, isn't it worth it. Do you have dressy clothes that you don't wear often but cost a lot?

If you can afford it, include the more expensive styles in your search. Feeling good about how you look will improve your vacation.

• Like 1

If you get a few years use out of a swim suit, isn't it worth it. Do you have dressy clothes that you don't wear often but cost a lot?

If you can afford it, include the more expensive styles in your search. Feeling good about how you look will improve your vacation.

Yeah, that is a good point. I think it's the thought that this small amount of material costs the same or more as a dress. I also don't have much ocassion to wear a bathing suit but a few times a year, so I generally get sick of looking at them before I wear them out.

Yeah, that is a good point. I think it's the thought that this small amount of material costs the same or more as a dress. I also don't have much ocassion to wear a bathing suit but a few times a year, so I generally get sick of looking at them before I wear them out.

You only wear formal attire a few times. When you DD gets married you won't get more use out your mother of the bride dress than a bikini.

It's not a lot of fabric, but the construction and shaping are key elements, which is what you are paying for. I'm still going to encourage you to consider it an important part of your vacation budget. You need to feel good while relaxing.

• Like 2

You only wear formal attire a few times. When you DD gets married you won't get more use out your mother of the bride dress than a bikini.

It's not a lot of fabric, but the construction and shaping are key elements, which is what you are paying for. I'm still going to encourage you to consider it an important part of your vacation budget. You need to feel good while relaxing.

You do make a great point. I might write this on a cue card for myself for when DH says, "Is that a new bathing suit?" 😄

Sewing swim fabric sucks! I'd charge more to make a swimsuit than a dress too.

I think for controversy, you have to say that only skinny moms can wear bikinis. Wasn't there a doozy last year over that?

• Like 3

I think for controversy, you have to say that only skinny moms can wear bikinis. Wasn't there a doozy last year over that?

Probably.

In Europe, even the grandmas are in bikinis. No one seems to care what anyone else is wearing. It is freeing to think about it. Men of all shapes and sizes are in speedos, too. You kind of get used to it. I have a one piece and feel like I kind of stand out even more. If I can find a well fitting two-piece, I might go for it. Actually, in some places, people are wearing even less than speedos and bikinis which makes any bathing suit at all seem quite modest.

• Like 2

Ha!i have always worn a bikini. Not string but yeah, a two piece. The few I have are worn out and I keep shopping and finding nothing. The other day I thought 'yah know, I am 52, maybe it is time to give up the two piece'

No. I just can't.

Athleta is they way to go.

• Like 2

Ok, I went to Athleta and is pretty much picked clean.  I did see a bottom I liked but can't find a top to match......

The sale prices aren't bad...and I would definitely pay the regular prices if I loved the fit.  Has anyone tried the Dolphin short?  I want a little bit of coverage on my bottom but I can't stand the feel of it coming up to my waist.

Here (Switzerland), I would stand out more in a one piece than I would in a bikini with a "slightly used" midsection showing. Pretty much all women here wear 2 pieces, regardless of age, shape, etc. I find it very freeing, actually.

I'm totally stealing your phrasing - "slightly used midsection"! I think it would be some kind of wonderful to be at the beach with that general culture present. I actually think it would be pleasant to be on a top-optional beach in a culture where nobody stares, nobody cares. (I think Denmark is like this?) My top is not impressive anyway; if you've seen a naked 11-year-old, you've seen all there is to see here. 😄

• Like 2

Ok, I went to Athleta and is pretty much picked clean. I did see a bottom I liked but can't find a top to match......

The sale prices aren't bad...and I would definitely pay the regular prices if I loved the fit. Has anyone tried the Dolphin short? I want a little bit of coverage on my bottom but I can't stand the feel of it coming up to my waist.

Hmm. I have a pair of swim shorts from Athleta, but I am not sure if they are "Dolphin" or something else. They are cute like regular running shorts. They come to just below my belly button. I use them a lot with different tops, because they do provide good coverage for all the activites one might be doing around pools and beaches. They are black so they're quite versatile.

• Like 1

Here (Switzerland), I would stand out more in a one piece than I would in a bikini with a "slightly used" midsection showing. Pretty much all women here wear 2 pieces, regardless of age, shape, etc. I find it very freeing, actually.

Sounds cold. 😂
  • Like 2

I didn't find it bad at all.   Maybe because I bought quality fabric rather than the thin stuff my cheap suits have been made of.  As a pale redhead, I decided I needed a long sleeve rashguard.  As a plus size, what was available on Amazon was pretty expensive.  So, I bought some SPF50 swimsuit fabric and made one.  The stretchy fabric made it very forgiving of minor sewing mistakes.  

I just mention this in case anyone is thinking of sewing with swimsuit fabric.  

Edited by shawthorne44
  • Like 1

I just got done spending the week at the beach. Bikinis are all good, but I would be happy to see less butt cheek. This new up the butt style is not my thing.

It seems 99% of the women at my local pool in a two piece are wearing a thong bikini. Even women with rather large dimpled derrières that leave nothing to the imagination.

I'm quite open minded but it's more of them than I care to see.

• Like 5

If it's just my family then I feel comfortable (mostly) wearing a bikini. I wish I could just be totally at peace with it, but it's tough.

Dh might have a business trip to Hawaii in the fall and I'm certainly going to go!  However, I know I will be very self conscious about wearing a bikini with the all the young women they hire.  The bosses/owners do most definitely hire women based on looks.  One of them was a state beauty contest winner, another is a fitness competitor and another one has giant book implants which are always on display.  Dh says I should not let any of that bother me, but it does bother me very badly.  I have never visited his office because of this.  

• Like 1

I just got done spending the week at the beach. Bikinis are all good, but I would be happy to see less butt cheek. This new up the butt style is not my thing.

I'm currently at a water park. "How to pick a suit that fits" should be a required class in high school.

• Like 5

thongs at the waterpark bother me. All those cheeks on things that every sits on...

Thongs anywhere bother me. Cover those cheeks!

Edited by Moxie
  • Like 2

Ok, I went to Athleta and is pretty much picked clean. I did see a bottom I liked but can't find a top to match......

The sale prices aren't bad...and I would definitely pay the regular prices if I loved the fit. Has anyone tried the Dolphin short? I want a little bit of coverage on my bottom but I can't stand the feel of it coming up to my waist.

BTW, I went (on-line) to Lands Ends today, to get DS12 some suits before our trip. They are having some *great* sales right now (on kid's suits as well as women's). Grant it, the tricky part may be that the one you like, which is terrifically on sale, is out of your size. But it's worth a look.

• Like 1

And I believe that every bathing suit department in every store across the country should serve wine in the dressing room during try-ons.

Seriously. The lighting alone is frightful.

• Like 2

I'm on vacation right now and spent the day at the beach. While I personally don't wear bikinis due to my personal modesty/religious choice, I am totally fine with what other people choose. I decided today that the biggest factor in wearing a bikini is confidence. I saw lots of super-slim women all covered up kind of uncomfortably sliding toward the water, while larger women wearing bikinis walked confidently. I think you don't really notice a person's body-shape if they project confidence in what they are wearing and how they look.

• Like 2

I'm a little late to the conversation but wanted to throw out Lime Ricki's suits. I really like the 2 I have. They have a sale now on lots of suits, tops, and bottoms. The sale isn't super great as far as %off, but it's not bad and there's lots of choices.

I'm a tankini type of person. I like 2 piece for comfort, but I'm too shy to want to wear a true bikini these days. When my DS was born I was 22 and still wearing them, but I decided that with toddlers pulling on you, bikinis were kind of risky, so I moved up to tankinis and like them better all around. 

• Like 2

I'm a little late to the conversation but wanted to throw out Lime Ricki's suits. I really like the 2 I have. They have a sale now on lots of suits, tops, and bottoms. The sale isn't super great as far as %off, but it's not bad and there's lots of choices.

I'm a tankini type of person. I like 2 piece for comfort, but I'm too shy to want to wear a true bikini these days. When my DS was born I was 22 and still wearing them, but I decided that with toddlers pulling on you, bikinis were kind of risky, so I moved up to tankinis and like them better all around.

Perfect. Matter of fact, I just bought that red gingham suit!

• Like 1