Menu

Kids with excessive vocalizations....how do you deal? (ASD related)

Tap

DD10 is on the spectrum.  She is age appropriately verbal, but she makes an excessive amount of vocalizations.  She grunts, whines, breaths heavy, and seems to turn even minor frustrations into some kind of unhappy vocalization.  It is sooooo stressful. When she was younger she had some minor vocal tics, but nothing significant.  This reminds me of that, but the noise actually corresponds to the problem.   

For example, she will come in from outside and say how tired she is, and then makes a really, really big deal out of breathing hard with a vocal noise (like a hum with an open mouth?) at the end of each breath.. This will go on for 30 seconds or so.   She is not out of breath.  LOL  She rides her bike and plays outside all day every day and has zero issues breathing.  (It is not asthma-it is on purpose)

Or like just now, she has been playing outside and came to check in. She told me her ankle hurts.  She came in to the house fine and walked up the stairs fine to come find me in the house.   When she walks away, she is moaning with each step and limping. 

She doesn't get more sympathy from me when she acts like this.  If anything I tend to push her away more because it is so annoying. 

If she asks for food, it is an emergency and she will moan like she is dying. It goes on an on all day.

Has anyone had a kid like this or any suggestions?  I am starting to lose my mind with all of it.  

Edited by Tap

We are living in the same world.  

What has helped us is meditation, yoga, breathing exercises, being ready to meet predictable needs (snacks, water, downtime) and, honestly, increasing my distress tolerance for it.  My 14 year old is way better about it now than he was, it's almost a non-issue.  My 8 year old, also dx with ASD, is still in the thick of it.  

• Like 1