Menu

turkey lunchmeat with no preservatives

saraha

Can I freeze turkey lunch meat that is labeled nitrite and nitrate free?   Will it come out of the freezer ok?

You better read the fine print, because I'd bet you are being conned.

Does the label say something like: No Nitrates Added  except those naturally occurring in celery juice?

Because this is "perfectly legal" food-labeling fraud.

When celery juice is combined with lactic acid it produces exactly the same nitrates in food as processors would get shaking it out of a jar. It is a fake-out.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Bill

• Like 2

When celery juice is combined with lactic acid it produces exactly the same nitrates in food as processors would get shaking it out of a jar. It is a fake-out.

This. A nitrate is still a nitrate even if it comes from celery juice - http://time.com/4092912/nitrate-nitrite-bacon-cancer-meat/

And in fact, in some cases when they test these "nitrate free" lunchmeats (meaning those who get theirs from celery salt) they have sometimes been found to have significantly more nitrates than the regular version - https://www.good.is/articles/your-nitrite-free-meats-are-full-of-nitrites

So in essence, you are paying more just for the heck of it. It's a pretty good marketing technique to make more money for the processor.

That being said, yes, you can freeze it and no there shouldn't be any texture differences because it's just lunchmeat aside from potentially having more nitrates in it. If you truly want something nitrate free then you'll need to avoid ham and bacon and cook your own meats and slice/shred yourself. Or go vegan :p then the only nitrates you'll consume will be the amounts in vegetables like celery and spinach. Somehow in all the talk about nitrates, no one ever says we need to stop eating those. Unless you're a baby and then it probably comes up in baby food discussions.

So, yeah. Save your money and go forth and freeze as you desire.

Edited by mamaraby
  • Like 1

Thanks for all of the responses, it is now safely tucked away in the freezer.  Actually, I don't care if it is nitrate free, I bought it super cheap on clearance and my family just likes turkey lunch meat, so I bought a lot of it.  :lol: 

• Like 2