Menu

What's the minimum shoe I could get by with for a hike on Mount Rainier?

StaceyinLA

Just wanted to say thanks for all the information in this thread. I'm gonna go to a camping store tomorrow and try on some different shoes, and either buy (if they have something I like), or order shoes tomorrow. That'll give me a couple weeks to get them broken in.

I do have a question about socks - does anyone have recommendations? I have no clue what I should be looking for. I just want to order a couple pair. Is there something specific I need to search for? I don't like when socks stick out of my shoes very far. I definitely want a no-show or something really close (though I hate the no-shows that actually barely cover the foot because they aggravate me inside my shoes).

Just wanted to say thanks for all the information in this thread. I'm gonna go to a camping store tomorrow and try on some different shoes, and either buy (if they have something I like), or order shoes tomorrow. That'll give me a couple weeks to get them broken in.

I do have a question about socks - does anyone have recommendations? I have no clue what I should be looking for. I just want to order a couple pair. Is there something specific I need to search for? I don't like when socks stick out of my shoes very far. I definitely want a no-show or something really close (though I hate the no-shows that actually barely cover the foot because they aggravate me inside my shoes).

if you're going to go to a good camping store (I'd recommend rei if you have one near you), ask them about socks.  they can give you more information.  cotton is not good - they absorb perspiration and stay wet.  you want one that will wick moisture and keep your foot dry.  padding in high pressure areas too.

not sure those will come in a very low cut sock.

I have done thorlos in the past - but they're very pricey.   if you're not going to be doing anything more than a "long walk", shouldn't be as much of an issue.   do bring an extra pair.

water bottle, sun hat, sunscreen.

On a hike you might like longer socks than usual. It keeps you from getting scrapped from low brush. Also, I just wear wool socks. Some are $martwool. Others the 3pack I got from Costco. Try on boots/shoes with socks you will wear.