Menu

Do you need needles for getting a dental crown done?

Isabella

My daughter has a bad needle phobia and dental work needs to be done under general anaesthetic or Twightlight sedation. She's had a lot of work done a few months ago and needs crowns to finish a couple off. I will speak to the dentist obviously, but just want a heads up if it's a bigger procedure needing needles.

The dentist will saw off the sides of the tooth to allow space for the crown to fit on both sides. That will be painful and may cause some bleeding.

Also, crowns are generally put on teeth which have had the root canal treatment done; otherwise the tooth underneath the crown can get decayed and rot away. The root canal treatment needs local anesthesia.

ETA: ask if the dentist can apply a topical anesthetic gel at the site where he will inject the local anesthetic. That reduces the sting of the needle a little.

Edited by nansk

It's quite common to have crowns on teeth that have not had root canals. I have three teeth with crowns but have only had one root canal.

Our dentist does use needles for .  . . whatever local anesthetic it is they use to numb. A good dentist will be able to hide the needle so that a frightened child won't see it. I don't know if that would help or not?

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1

Thank you. She's already had the root canals done under Twightlight sedation, and will need to get crowns on them I guess. She's 23, and this phobia is severe enough to cause faints and a vasovagal seizure, so no amount of numbing gel or discreet dentists seem to help. Our dentist is very good in this manner it the very thought is enough to make her feel dizzy and go white!

The crown prep definitely needs needles to numb the area before shaving down the tooth and doing any filling that might be needed. Depending on how much work is being done the dentist may want to do extra numbing through the roof of the mouth--just to be sure. The second part--seating the crown--may or may not require numbing. I've had a crown seated without numbing. It was uncomfortable but not painful. OTOH I've had ones where the permanent didn't quite fit and without numbing, the taking off and putting on for adjustments was horrible. I had to ask for numbing. My last procedure was to have 2 crowns seated next to each other and the dentist agreed that I should be numbed up beforehand as it took quite a bit of adjusting to make sure both fit properly next to each other.

needles for novacaine (or whatever they use to numb the gums).  my dentist has always applied a topical before injecting the numbing agent.  that's as much needles as there are.

if she' has an MTHF mutation - she shouldn't have nitrious oxide.

eta: and the final appointment of putting in the permanent crown doesn't require numbing.  it's generally been fairly quick.

Edited by gardenmom5

I just had a crown prep with no numbing or sleeping and there was no pain, at all. There was a point where they had to put bands around the gum to hold it down to get a good impression of the tooth and that had a feel, but still no pain. Then I went back for the seating and that was quick.

That was my second one with no numbing. I avoid it at all costs. Don't mind the needle, but I get super-freaked that I'll be numb forever :p However, my first appointment took a bit over an hour, so there's that.