Menu

Dining Table

Epicurean

55 members have voted

1. 1. Should our dining table's benches have backs?

• Definitely have backs.
    • No backs.

A local carpenter is making a dining table for us out of a rustic slab of wood. It's an eight person table, and the two chairs at the ends will be almost like mini benches with backs on them. Then we will have two long benches down the sides.

Should we have backs on the long benches or no backs? I'm thinking that no backs makes it easier to get in and out. But having backs will match the end chairs. We intend on using the table for homeschooling, so it seems like having backs would make it more comfy for kids? I don't know.

Edited by Epicurean

I prefer no backs. We have people in sitting in the middle who want to get up and get something - no backs means they don't disturb everyone else.

But we also have other areas with chairs with backs. So, if we're having a dinner party and it's not just kids, and we want to relax after dinner with wine or espresso, we move to another area.

I say no backs. How would someone sitting in the middle of a long bench get out if there's a back on it?

This. Exactly. We have a 2 person bench now at our table. It has a back. If two people are on it, and one has to get up, the other has to move too. It is annoying and I wish I had thought of that problem before I bought it...

We had a table with benches (no backs) growing up.  Us kids, hated it. Once your feet could touch the floor and sit straight up, there was no back support.  I grew up in a "no elbows on the table" and "don't leave the table till evryone has finished" family.  So, once you finished eating, we had to sit straight up and wait for everyone. 

Edited by Tap

As a person who really needs back support, I would not use a backless bench for my regular table.

I understand the concern about it being hard to get in and out.  But if you have any guests who aren't super spry, they are going to find a backless bench difficult also.  You don't expect granny to climb over a bench to get to the table, do you?

Is it possible to have two or more shorter benches with backs, instead of the long bench?  Otherwise I would just go with chairs.

• Like 2

When I was a kid, we had a "deacon's bench" for 2-3 young kids to sit at.  It had a back and was positioned against the wall.  Since only young kids had to climb into it, it was not a big deal.  Everyone else sat on a chair (with a back).

I have a table with benches, but I keep one long side against the wall when we are using all of the seating. That works to provide a back for those who are seated there. 

If there are more than 2 people sitting on a bench, backless is better, so nobody is trapped. But it would be uncomfortable to sit at for very long. If the table is quite long, 2 short benches with backs per side sounds great.

I hate backless benches.  I get the concern about a person being trapped.  But, it's so uncomfortable for any length of time.  Bad for posture too, I'd imagine, because of having to lean on the table.    I think I would just get chairs and forget about benches altogether.  Though I do like the look of benches.  

But anyway, a person in the middle is a bit trapped on a backless bench too.  Our backyard table has backless benches. It's still a pain for the middle person to get in and out.

If chairs are an option, I would go with them over benches. Chairs are more comfortable, imo, and getting out of them is easier. When our family sits at benches, someone inevitably feels squished while someone else complains that the bench is too far back and they can't reach the table.

• Like 2

I would not be able to sit there for an extended meal without a back. As a not so young adult, I need the support. Don't just think of how old your kids are now, think of the future and of guests.

• Like 1

Maybe it's just what you're used to.  We have backless stools without cushions in our kitchen and we spend hours in there.  They tuck under a tall table that an also be use as counter space.  It's actually better for your core and back to not be leaning against a chair back.  We use yoga balls to sit on a lot of the time when we're homeschooling at a table. 

I do think tuck under stools could be a good alternative too.

• Like 1

We have a backless bench on one side of the table.  I do think it looks nice.  If we have people over for dinner I usually try to make sure the guests have a chair as my back gets tired after an hour or so of sitting without support.  We are the type to sit around and talk at the table for awhile. It is easier to get in and out of the bench for most people, but chairs are the easiest.  It's also easier to squish in more kids for extra seating if another family is over.