Menu

iPad vs Tablet

momacacia

I realize there's a cost difference. DH and I both have Androids and our "family phone" is droid, too. The apps I use the most are all in Google Play (as well as Apple store).

I guess my question really is why would I want to pay more for an Apple product? TIA

And any particular product/tablet/pad recommendations are appreciated too!

Edited by momacacia
  • Like 1

Well, the charger won't be compatible with any if the other devices you own, so no-one will borrow it. If that is a concern.

It seems like there are more kid-friendly apps available for Apple, so maybe that would be an aspect to look at.

For full disclosure I should say we only have Android devices.

• Like 1

I would only pay extra because I am in the Apple ecosystem and I like the way things work together. It is a power assist for me.

I would be the one who would be in a single ecosystem no matter which one I chose so ymmv.

My suggestion would be that you visit an Apple showroom. Plan to spend a lot of time and check out all the devices. Apple has tables and tables of computers, tablets and phones and no time limit on how much time you 'play' on them. I think they speak for themselves, but I do come from a 100% Apple family. Btw, the prices of iPads have become more competitive, as long as you don't get the maximum memory. The current iPad with 128GB is about half the price I paid for my IPad Air w 128gb. Ds stores lots on iCloud and is fine with a 32 GB iPad Air2. Apple also sells refurbished iPads. Ds got his used iPad from Apple and it looked like new. Gazelle may have tablets too, reliable company.

https://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1

Our family has only Android phones (11 of them!) and only iPad tablets (6 of them). Here's why:

- If we had ONLY Apple devices, we could not fit all of the devices on a single account, so that would be a bit of a problem for us.

- We love the iPads and prefer them whenever we are home and sometimes when we are out. The Android phones are used when we do not have an iPad, when an iPad is not convenient because of size, to make calls or send texts, or to provide a hotspot for the iPads.

- I consider the iPads to be extremely durable devices. We had four iPad 1s which we have passed on to others not because they broke, but because they got outdated. The 2 iPad 2s we bought in 2011 still work fine for most things, but they recent lost update support from Apple. I expect they will still be usable for another couple of years.

- We have never had an Android phone as durable as any of our iPads. The connectors and the batteries are what has failed on nearly every Android phone we have ever owned (perhaps 20). Of the 10 iPads we have owned, none have ever had a connector or a battery fail. (That's a good thing, since you cannot replace the battery!) The new Lightning connector on Apple devices is outstanding (though pricey).

- We have about 120 digital copies of movies and I prefer Apple's movie system to all the others: you purchase the movie once and you can watch it on up to 10 devices plus five computers. I do use some of the other movie services out there such as Amazon and Vudu (Walmart's offering), but Apple's system is my favorite (though I have to admit I like Vudu's new "Movies on us" feature which allows some movies to be watched for free with adds. The point is that the iPads let us access any of these services on the tablet, but an Android tablet would not work with Apple movies.

- We also have a ton of apps on the IPads. These can be shared on up to 10 iPads/iPhones. Android has no such deal. The MOST you can share an app is to 6 devices, and then ONLY if the app allows it. That business model combined with the fact that Google originally had a DIFFERENT store for apps on the phones and tablets were the deal breakers for us with Android and what caused us to look elsewhere when we went shopping for tablets.

- We prefer the 4:3 aspect ratio of the iPads over the 16:9 aspect ratio of the Android tablets. I'm not sure why, but it just feels better.

- The performance of the newest iPads we have (iPad Air 2 and iPad Pro 9.7") are outstanding! These are very powerful gaming platforms with extremely good battery life.

All that said, I have to say that I am sick and tired of Apple's unwillingness to make iTunes work properly (on the PCs). I'm to the point where I avoid connecting my iPad to the PC if at all possible because of my fear of what iTunes might do next. MomsintheGarden's iPad has NEVER been connected to iTunes and likely never will. IMO, iTunes is approaching abandonware status, and I would be at all surprised to see Apple pull the plug altogether. How they would pull that off is beyond me, but I consider it the Achilles heal of their offerings. (And, no, I am not just talking about iTunes on Windows. In fact, I consider their iTunes offering on MacOS to be WORSE than their Windows offering in some ways. Crazy!). I'm still not fully rid of iTunes, but I'm doing my best to get there...

Anyway, my recommendation is to buy an iPad Pro (9.7" unless you REALLY want the big one) if you can afford it and an iPad Air 2 if not. If you don't want the 9.7" size, I recommend the latest iPad Mini. We have two of those and MomsintheGarden loves hers! Get as much storage space as you can afford: 256GB if you can, but at least 128 GB. Finally, don't be afraid to purchase a refurbished unit from Apple. We have bought several that way and they are indistinguishable from new.

• Like 3

If everything you have is already droid, then go with droid.

There are real benefits to purchasing an iPad if you already have an iPhone and, to a lesser extent, a Mac computer. But there are virtually no benefits to purchasing an Andoid tablet just because you have an Android phone. In fact, I would say there are quite a few drawbacks to purchasing an Android tablet versus an iPad even for someone with an Android phone, as detailed above.

I ONLY went with Ipad because everything I have is already Mac, as well as our apps.

I'm willing to bet that most, if not all, of the apps on momacacia's Android phone are free. And if there ARE any paid apps on her phone, they would have to be eligible for sharing to be of any value on a tablet. It's not like iOS where you purchase apps once and they work between iPad and iPhone. Some iOS apps will even work on iPad, iPhone, Apple Watch AND Apple TV.
  • Like 4

If you wait, Target frequently runs sales where they give you a $100 or $200 gift certificate if you buy the ipad from them.

Yep, We got an iPad Pro with 128 GB last Christmas from Target for $429! (Apple wanted $700 for the same thing, IIRC.). There's a thread about it somewhere here is you would like me to dig it up.

To me the bottom line is this: Android tablets are cheaper than iPads because they are not as useful. (I think the same can be said for Android phones versus iPhones. The difference, for me at least, is that I'm not willing to pay as much for a phone since I see them as somewhat disposable. I cannot tell you how many people I know who are still using an iPhone or an expensive Android phone with a broken screen because their two years was not yet up and they were still making payments. MomsintheGarden estimates that OVER HALF the people she knows are in this boat. Our family spent a grand total of $287 for the last NINE Android phones we purchased, shipping included. They all have quad-core processors and serve our needs well, but we won't shed a tear if any of them gets lost/stolen/broken. We'll just buy an upgraded replacement.)

My iPad Air 2 is now my primary computer. Yes, I still use my Windows laptop and the family's Mac for some tasks, but the iPad I am typing on right now is my favorite computer, by far.

• Like 1

I realize I've already written a tI;dr on this topic, but I woke up this morning and realized I had completely forgotten something that is fairly pertinent to the OP: In addition to the 10 iPads we have purchased over the years, we also purchased four Android tablets: Two high-end Motorola tablets ($400 each) which had better specs than our iPad 1s of the day and two Amazon Kindle Fire tablets ($200 each).

The Motorola tablets ultimately were just crap: one was unstable from day one and crashed frequently (more than once each day), while the other had the charger fail within the first year then the charging connector failed not long afterward.

The Amazon Kindle Fire tablets are much better-engineered, but they suffered from different issues:

- Apps for the Kindle Fire were bought through Amazon's App Store, not Google's store. I prefer the Amazon store because the business model was closer to Apple's, but really, a different store? (This still exists, by the way: get your Android apps from the Play store OR the Amazon store. Talk about confusing the market!)

- Amazon stopped providing updates for the Kindle Fires after only about one year from the date of purchase, which was right when they came out. That was the last straw for me since Apple supported our iPad 1s for about five years and the iPad 2s for about six years after purchase.

- The user interface for the Kindle Fire was nothing like a normal Android interface. It was functional, but strange and different.

Both Kindle Fires still work and both are still useful as Kindle book readers. One sits around here and does not get used. The other is still in use as a book reader by DD24.

• Like 2

OP if you decide to go with an expensive device, one thing I would consider MANDATORY is that the Display has Gorilla Glass.  A few years ago, we bought a very inexpensive Android Tablet and I am supposedly the one who damaged the Display. Possibly I am guilty of that, but if I did damage it, I don't know how. In contrast, I am the only one in the house with a very low end phone (a Samsung) and mine does not have Gorilla Glass. I have been using it for 14 months and it was previously used by a boy who was 4 or 5 years old at the time. Probably he used it to play games. The display on my very low end (2014) Samsung Android phone is OK.  That makes me think the Smart phones are more rugged than the Tablets.  Get Gorilla Glass in what you buy a tablet!

ETA: The other phones in the house all have Gorilla Glass. 3 Motorola phones and one Lenovo phone. Lenovo owns Motorola Mobility.

Edited by Lanny

We bought several of the $39 Kindle fires at Christmas. They work for what we need. Kids stream movies, I listen to audio books. We do a tiny bit of FB and email on them. A few games but not much else. For the price, they are great.

The iPads my girls.got years ago though are faster and nicer...and we're much more pricey.

I would say it depends on what you want to be able to DO with the device and the budget. If you go with an iPad then get a very good protective case for it.

• Like 1

OP if you decide to go with an expensive device, one thing I would consider MANDATORY is that the Display has Gorilla Glass.

To my knowledge, no iPad has "Gorilla Glass", but of the 10 we have owned, not a single one has suffered a damaged display.

OTOH, the Kindle Fires we bought were supposed to have "Gorilla Glass" (or something similar) and MomsintheGarden's fell about 18 inches onto a concrete floor with a thick vynil pad on it and it shattered into a million pieces. Thinking about it, the Kindle Fire and DD24s Nexus 5 (also with "Gorilla Glass") are the only devices we have ever purchased which have suffered crack screens:

Without Gorilla Glass:

- 10 iPads: NO cracked screens

- About 12 HTC Android Phones: NO cracked screens

- Ten Samsung Android Phones: NO cracked screens

- Two Motorola Android tablets: NO cracked screens

With Gorilla Glass:

- One LG Nexus Android phone: ONE cracked screen

- Three original Amazon Kindle Fires: ONE cracked screen

My experience clearly tells me to AVOID Gorilla Glass.

Lately I've come to putting tempered glass screen protectors on all devices we purchase to act as the "sacrificial lamb" in case of a drop. Does it help? I don't know.

• Like 1

As far as dropping the kindle and it shattering, was it in a case? My ds is wicked rough with stuff, and the kindles survive him long enough that, for the pricepoint, I'm pleased enough to keep buying 'em. I'm apple all the way for myself, but for ds, kindles make more sense.

As far as the op, keep it simple. If you are happy with your products and they're meeting your needs, stop sweating it. Some people really don't give a rip about things like operating system, how they swipe, etc., and some people are willing to pay more to have EXACTLY what they want. They want the ecosystem (everything syncing), the proprietary bounce, the operating system, etc. etc. For me personally, on top of all that, it's that I don't have to sweat idiotic trojans and viruses and all that, like I did when we were using pcs. 

As far as size of devices, that's really personal. There's a phenomenal artist, Seb Lester, on FB who is doing brilliant things with an ipad pro. I can, in my spendthrift moments, think up reasons why an ipad pro would be brilliant. It's really just what you want to do. You do a lot with pdfs? You might really be able to justify that bigger screen. You're an artist? What are you going to do with it that you aren't doing now or doing as well as you want to?

I haven an iphone 7+, and having that bigger screen has chilled a lot of that need to have multiple sizes of devices. I still use my ipad, but it helps to think about your needs as a whole across the day, like where you're using the devices and what mix would meet your needs.

My mother has multiple android (samsung) tablets, and she doesn't even try. They just give 'em out like candy with her cell provider. She makes it work and it's fine. She's in her 60s, which is not old or anything, but I think the things she struggles with on it are addressed in apple products. She finally got an imac, so maybe someday she'll go ipad as well. But for her, it was the lure of the free tablet. Kinda tells you though where the value is, when they're giving 'em away.

And, fwiw, the kindle has phenomenal parental controls, way better than my ipad. I can go through and shut down any single category and leave others open, and it's super fast to access. The browser is slow and the device is not exactly high end. However it does what I need for ds at a phenomenal price. Like I think I paid $120 for his newest one, which has a terrific memory. I can load enough videos on there from amazon prime to keep him enchanted for 5 hours on our weekly trips to therapy. I can load hundreds of audiobooks on there, and the coverflow browser makes them easy for a dyslexic to scroll through. For my ds, the low pricepoint, the details of that operating system, the low price bump to get a huge memory, these are huge reasons he has a kindle. And I LIKE my apple stuff a lot! Just saying you look at the details, see what you need, let them converge. My kid is going to trash devices, so I need all those features at a low pricepoint. Speed is actually less important, with him, than storage, picture cover flow, parental controls, and pricepoint. 

Could I get used to an android tablet for me personally? Probably. They're fine. I help my parents with both their android products and you get used to them. I just like the ipads better.

• Like 1

Yep, We got an iPad Pro with 128 GB last Christmas from Target for $429! (Apple wanted $700 for the same thing, IIRC.). There's a thread about it somewhere here is you would like me to dig it up.

To me the bottom line is this: Android tablets are cheaper than iPads because they are not as useful. (I think the same can be said for Android phones versus iPhones. The difference, for me at least, is that I'm not willing to pay as much for a phone since I see them as somewhat disposable. I cannot tell you how many people I know who are still using an iPhone or an expensive Android phone with a broken screen because their two years was not yet up and they were still making payments. MomsintheGarden estimates that OVER HALF the people she knows are in this boat. Our family spent a grand total of $287 for the last NINE Android phones we purchased, shipping included. They all have quad-core processors and serve our needs well, but we won't shed a tear if any of them gets lost/stolen/broken. We'll just buy an upgraded replacement.)

My iPad Air 2 is now my primary computer. Yes, I still use my Windows laptop and the family's Mac for some tasks, but the iPad I am typing on right now is my favorite computer, by far.

I do not have any experience with Android, so my advice might not be the best.

We got the two ipad minis a couple or so years ago at Christmas when they gave the gift cards with them. They ended up being so cheap that they felt like no brainer presents! However, in January, the toddler got a hold of one of them and tossed it over the balcony. 

• Like 1

I will say though, take in to consideration what you plan to use the tablet for. If it is to read textbooks vs using little kid apps vs using the internet vs making videos and writing papers. 

Our older ipads had 16gb memory and until 13 yr old started making videos, that memory was great. It still works just fine. We simply transferrred the videos when the memory got full. And he has stopped making videos so we have had no memory issues since. Our newer ipads, I had intended to get 32gb, but 32gb is only available on the bigger one. The ipad mini is 128gb. I do not feel we needed that much space, but it was all it was available in.

Also, Apple gives a teacher discount. So if you cannot wait for the Target sale, use the teacher discount through Apple. I made my own teacher ID using a free template online and my printer and the Apple store was fine with that.

• Like 1

I think amazon has a warranty option on their kindles where it's for any reason, like even over the balcony, lol. I didn't pay for it, but I think they have it.

The other reason we went kindle for ds was immersion reading. Now I think you can do it on all devices using a kindle app, but a few years ago it was limited.

In reality, my ds has killed a kindle a year. He's on his 3rd, and we got the first 3 years ago. That's a terrible track record, mercy!  :scared:

I think amazon has a warranty option on their kindles where it's for any reason, like even over the balcony, lol. I didn't pay for it, but I think they have it.

The other reason we went kindle for ds was immersion reading. Now I think you can do it on all devices using a kindle app, but a few years ago it was limited.

In reality, my ds has killed a kindle a year. He's on his 3rd, and we got the first 3 years ago. That's a terrible track record, mercy!  :scared:

One of my children got in to a fight and hit the other child over the head with the kindle. Amazon replaced it for free and we had the new one the next day.

• Like 1

As far as dropping the kindle and it shattering, was it in a case?

No.  Based on Amazon's marketing claims about the Gorilla Glass on the Kindle Fire that she had read, MomsintheGarden decided that she did not need a case and refused to put one on the device.

I'm still using my iPhone 4s and my iPad 2. Neither have a cover and have been dropped weekly for years. My iPad is my preferred device and I get bitter when I have to break out the computer once or twice a week. They're durable, always work, and are tough.

• Like 3

No.  Based on Amazon's marketing claims about the Gorilla Glass on the Kindle Fire that she had read, MomsintheGarden decided that she did not need a case and refused to put one on the device.

Well... Just my experience, but the device actually holds up pretty well, considering it markets at like $89 and has enough power to fly to the moon. At that price I don't expect it to pass drop tests, kwim? I put my ds' kindle in a $14 leather folio style case off ebay and it survived until it took a dunk in the tub. The next one survived, with that same inexpensive folio type cover, MANY intentional drops and throws. We're talking like a boy in a total meltdown who decides to throw it down HARD or throw it across the room or... And it survived all that. Finally, kindle #2 had a totally accidental crash when he was running, and it hit the corner *just so* and the glass cracked. It's one of those things that happen, not some defect or evidence of poor quality. It was a cheap device.

Now I keep kindle #3 in one of those stretchy silicone covers. Doesn't hinder anything, protects the corners, super cheap. Maybe he's outgrowing his need to slam devices to the ground, but I'm sure it will happen again.

When amazon sells their one for kids, it comes in a cover. Like they know it needs to be in a cover. I'm not sure why someone would think otherwise. There's more going on than just the glass. 

Oh, and you can replace the glass for only $20. It's not a fun repair, but it can be done. 

I'm still using my iPhone 4s and my iPad 2. Neither have a cover and have been dropped weekly for years. My iPad is my preferred device and I get bitter when I have to break out the computer once or twice a week. They're durable, always work, and are tough.

Wow, you've dropped an ipad with no cover!  :svengo:  Yeah, I don't know. What you're saying makes sense and isn't so surprising when you think about it. I just, well with a $400 starting point, just can't hand that to my ds. I let him use mine, but it's in a really good cover.  But anyways, that's interesting that it has turned out to be durable like that for you! :)

• Like 1

I just, well with a $400 starting point, just can't hand that to my ds. I let him use mine, but it's in a really good cover.

You can buy a refurbished iPad Mini today from Apple for $279 shipped.  At Christmastime, there are always iPad Minis for sale for $200.  And, as mentioned, I purchased an iPad Pro with 128 GB of storage for $429 last year.  The point is that you can get deals on iPads if you look, especially around Christmastime.

• Like 1

I have had two Nooks and a Kindle. We never bothered with iPads because I am not an Apple fan.

The first Nook I had was basically an e-reader only. The second was a Samsung under Nook's logo. It worked like a larger smart phone and, until they stopped supporting it, it worked great. It was dropped many times without issue.

We now have a Kindle (it is really my 5yo). It has been dropped two to three times a week without a cover and not broken. But, it is still kind of worthless and junky. I do not like the Amazon app store and find the Kindle to be rather limited, overall. I wouldn't buy another one.

Personally, I find tablets to be rather pointless though I know many people love them. They just are not practical for me and for what I use the gadgets for.

Edited by MaeFlowers
  • Like 1

I'm in the iPad camp because I do love all things Mac. I've had every iPhone released except the very first one (my son had it and at the time it just didn't have good enough battery life for me). I've also had or at least purchased for someone (my kids and grandkids) every iPad, iPad mini and the both of the big iPad pros. We LOVE our iPads around here. In fact, I currently use my pro as a computer replacement. I actually sold my iMac last year and manage to function perfectly fine with my iPad Pro and my iPhone.

The iPad minis have been fantastic for the grandkids. I bought them some Moko rubber cases with handles (that also function as a stand if they want to prop them up) and put glass screen protectors on them. They have held up very well.

The two youngest grandkids have iPad mini 2s that will last them a bit longer since they only do simple games and watch downloaded videos or movies. The older 2 granddaughters (4 year-olds) have iPad mini 4s, and the oldest grandson (6) recently got an upgrade to the 2017 iPad, which is the 9.7 inch size that basically replaced the air 2 since they've come out with the new size iPad Pro. All of the kids have a LOT of educational games, language learning apps, etc., in addition to games, and downloaded shows and movies. They have paid for themselves many times over on long car rides!

• Like 2

You can buy a refurbished iPad Mini today from Apple for $279 shipped.  At Christmastime, there are always iPad Minis for sale for $200.  And, as mentioned, I purchased an iPad Pro with 128 GB of storage for $429 last year.  The point is that you can get deals on iPads if you look, especially around Christmastime.

Haha, just to make you laugh about the free android tablets thing (that I really wasn't joking about), today I ordered Mighteor, which is a new self-regulation program for kids. Comes with, drum roll, a free samsung tablet, haha. And it comes with a bluetooth heart rate monitor for them to use with the software. Do the first three months ($249-$20 coupon, so $229) and the tablet is yours to keep. :D

But no, I hear you! That's an awesome price on an ipad pro! Maybe one could come my way for that price!  :)

We now have a Kindle (it is really my 5th). It has been dropped two to three times a week without a cover and not broken. But, it is still kind of worthless and junky. I do not like the Amazon app store and find the Kindle to be rather limited, overall. I wouldn't buy another one.

Personally, I find tablets to be rather pointless though I know many people love them. They just are not practical for me and for what I use the gadgets for.

Yeah, my ds uses the kindle fire for apps, audiobooks, immersion reading, and the alarms. I wouldn't surf or do much else on it. We've used it for dictation, and it's a little slow but works. So I agree, it really depends on what you want to do with the device. 

• Like 1

Well, I live in an Apple only house on purpose so I'd always ditch an Android for an iOS device, but that's just me. I remember when we got our iPhones at AT&T they wanted to give us an Android tablet for free. Uh, why?

We have multiple iPhones and iPads not all of which we purchased. When other people upgrade they give us their older devices which suits my kids fine. I don't know what the oldest working device is, but dh's iPod Touch with the cracked screen is still going strong. My iPad2 has issues and was retired earlier this year so it's probably whatever device came after that.

We have had a few cracked screens, but they all happened after the AppleCare plan expired. My iPad has several cracks in the lower left hand corner because a spice jar dropped out of the cabinet on top of it. That's what I get for sitting it on the counter. I could repair it, but it works fine and it's not super high on the priority list.

If you like what you have, then stick with that. I am not impressed with any of the Android devices nor the apps so for me, the question of why is a no brainer. YMMV and all that.

• Like 1

Well... Just my experience, but the device actually holds up pretty well, considering it markets at like $89 and has enough power to fly to the moon. At that price I don't expect it to pass drop tests, kwim? I put my ds' kindle in a $14 leather folio style case off ebay and it survived until it took a dunk in the tub. The next one survived, with that same inexpensive folio type cover, MANY intentional drops and throws. We're talking like a boy in a total meltdown who decides to throw it down HARD or throw it across the room or... And it survived all that. Finally, kindle #2 had a totally accidental crash when he was running, and it hit the corner *just so* and the glass cracked. It's one of those things that happen, not some defect or evidence of poor quality. It was a cheap device.

Now I keep kindle #3 in one of those stretchy silicone covers. Doesn't hinder anything, protects the corners, super cheap. Maybe he's outgrowing his need to slam devices to the ground, but I'm sure it will happen again.

When amazon sells their one for kids, it comes in a cover. Like they know it needs to be in a cover. I'm not sure why someone would think otherwise. There's more going on than just the glass. 

Oh, and you can replace the glass for only $20. It's not a fun repair, but it can be done. 

Wow, you've dropped an ipad with no cover!  :svengo:  Yeah, I don't know. What you're saying makes sense and isn't so surprising when you think about it. I just, well with a $400 starting point, just can't hand that to my ds. I let him use mine, but it's in a really good cover.  But anyways, that's interesting that it has turned out to b!e durable like that for you! :)

I drop it all the time!  I dropped it today!  I don't have tile and I have limited my dropped-on-concrete incidents to rare occasions.  My iPhone, however, gets dropped in the parking lot weekly.  I'm hopeless.

• Like 2

I drop it all the time!  I dropped it today!  I don't have tile and I have limited my dropped-on-concrete incidents to rare occasions.  My iPhone, however, gets dropped in the parking lot weekly.  I'm hopeless.

No, Panda, you may NOT borrow my iPad! :lol:

• Like 1