Menu

S/o: What supplements or vitamins do you take and why?

J-rap

I've narrowed mine down to just a few these days, but am always curious about what other people take and why.  I might learn something!

For me:

Fish Oil (2,000 mg daily) - It helps my cholesterol numbers, which weirdly changed after menopause, even though my diet, if anything, only improved!

Turmeric (1 capsule daily) - More as a preventative.  I've heard it keeps down inflammation and has been recommended for those prone to breast cancer.  (Breast cancer runs in my family.)

Decaffeinated Green Tea (1 capsule daily) - Same reasons as turmeric.

Then sometimes:

Vitamin D (1,000 mg daily, during winter months only) - For all the reasons you hear about Vitamin D!

Vitamin C (1,000 mg daily, when colds are going around) 

I do wonder if I should be taking calcium supplements.  My mother has severe osteoporosis, and my older sister has osteopenia.  I make an effort to get calcium in cheese, milk, broccoli, kale, yogurt, almonds, and other foods.

Vit D 1000mg/day. Just started because MD did my levels and they were like 10. Ooops. My dh takes 1200 mg fish oil/day. I take one a couple times/week. Daily made me bruise and bleed at the slightest scrape. I drink green tea and turmeric tea daily for the reasons you listed. I prefer the food because I don't trust supplement companies :-) I would like to try L-theanine with my anxious dd but agsin, I worry about supplement safety.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have PTSD and a heart arrhythmia. This is what I have worked out:

• Inositol in large amounts (if I had to take only one thing for some reason, it would be this. Nothing, including rx, has lowered the incidence and intensity of flashbacks and panic attacks as much as Inositol. As in--to almost none. It is my little powdered miracle. )
  • L-Theanine
  • Vitamin C
  • 5-HTP
  • Magnesium
  • B-12
  • making sure I get enough potassium through food

I also take vitamins D and K when I feel sick, and probiotics every day.

D and a B complex that includes methylfolate and methylB12.

Why? Levels are too low without, and I don't have the genes to get enough folate from diet or to process the folic acid the US put in the prenatals and the food supply.

I take fish oil and curcumin, both for RA. I would like to take more supplements but I'm really concerned about source -- supplements are one thing I try to buy at places like Earth Fare and Whole Foods due to concern about sourcing. I mostly eat regular groceries, lol, but it seems to me that something you take in concentrated form like supplements should be as pure as possible. That said, does anybody have a good source for supplements where they feel that the source ingredients are as close to pure as possible, that might not be as expensive as these health food stores?

• Like 2

I take fish oil and curcumin, both for RA. I would like to take more supplements but I'm really concerned about source -- supplements are one thing I try to buy at places like Earth Fare and Whole Foods due to concern about sourcing. I mostly eat regular groceries, lol, but it seems to me that something you take in concentrated form like supplements should be as pure as possible. That said, does anybody have a good source for supplements where they feel that the source ingredients are as close to pure as possible, that might not be as expensive as these health food stores?

Once you find once you like, look for them on amazon and vitacost. Or even the manufacturer's website is often cheaper than what you pay at WF.

Once you find once you like, look for them on amazon and vitacost. Or even the manufacturer's website is often cheaper than what you pay at WF.

Good idea. I just looked up the Spectrum Fish Oil on Amazon, and the list price is $5 less than it was at Earth Fare yesterday. I did have a coupon at Earth Fare, but it's good to know of a cheaper source when I don't have one.

• Like 1

Prenatal vitamins (breastfeeding) and occasionally iron (mildly anemic for a long time after giving birth). I keep meaning to add in fish oil (my mother swears by krill oil), but I can barely remember the prenatal most days.

ETA: vit D during the winter, if I start feeling sluggish and moody.

Edited by Noreen Claire
  • Like 1

Vit D 1000mg/day. Just started because MD did my levels and they were like 10. Ooops. My dh takes 1200 mg fish oil/day. I take one a couple times/week. Daily made me bruise and bleed at the slightest scrape. I drink green tea and turmeric tea daily for the reasons you listed. I prefer the food because I don't trust supplement companies :-) I would like to try L-theanine with my anxious dd but agsin, I worry about supplement safety.

The fish oil caused you to bruise more easily?  Interesting!

I know, I wonder about supplements too.

For the green tea and turmeric, these are the ones I take:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MYW2ZA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YC70XY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

But I'm sure the way you're doing it is best, taking it naturally in real food!

• Inositol in large amounts (if I had to take only one thing for some reason, it would be this. Nothing, including rx, has lowered the incidence and intensity of flashbacks and panic attacks as much as Inositol. As in--to almost none. It is my little powdered miracle. )

I haven't heard of this.  I'm going to look into it for one of my children.  Do you recommend a particular brand?

• Like 1

I often find good ratings at Labdoor:

https://labdoor.com

Interestingly, I just now checked it, and the fish oil that it listed a year or two ago -- which is the one I take -- is no longer on it!  I'll have to look into that...

I take

400 - 600 mg of magnesium citrate daily.  I started because of leg cramps and constipation.  Not sure it really helps the leg cramps.  

400 IU Vitamin D3.  I had been taking 1000 but my kidney doc told me to back off.  I started taking it because, you know, everyone's low on it. But I wasn't all that low.  

B-complex.  Not sure why I started taking it.  Energy, I think.  Doc says to keep it up, based on bloodwork. 

200 mg of Slippery Elm Bark, recommended by my general practitioner for GERD.

25 mg of potassium, as directed by kidney doc.

I had a kidney stone in 2012 and am still seeing the doc for that.  All these are approved by him (as not being harmful to kidney function and are not likely to contribute to stone formation). 

I want to try a few other things, such as biotin for bad hair and weak nails, ginkgo or other for focus, St John's Wort or other for anxiety. But haven't researched them enough yet to see if compatible with kidney issues.   And I forgot to ask the doc when I saw him last! Both the kidney doc and my GP are amenable to supplements, herbals, etc.  I don't start taking stuff till I discuss with one or the other of them.

ETA: I have osteopenia but also too much calcium in my urine so don't take a calcium supplement.  I do eat a lot of dairy. The calcium in the urine can lead to stone formation but I drink a lot of water with lemon juice so that mitigates that  potential problem. 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

Vitamin D because I was diagnosed with a deficiency.

Vitamin K because I read that it helps you absorb D.

Magnesium because without it I get muscle cramps.

Fish oil because my doctor said to, and it seems to be highly regarded for its anti-inflammatory effects.

My doctor also told me to take calcium, but I haven't been doing that yet.  I've read some conflicting information about the effects of calcium supplementation, so it makes me nervous.  I need to research it more.

That's all.  I've tried a whole bunch of things that supposedly help with migraines, but none of them helped me, and one made them worse.  I need to do some research about supplements to help with perimenopause, but I keep forgetting.

• Like 1

I haven't heard of this. I'm going to look into it for one of my children. Do you recommend a particular brand?

I use now brand. 12 grams, up to 16 grams per day in two doses. I take 2/3 of my total for the day in the am and the other third in the afternoon. It's a carbohydrate and tastes very slightly sweet. I take it in plain water and I don't like the way it tastes in tea.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11386498

ETA. Myo-inositol

Edited by OKBud

• multivitamin (Centrum Silver--Centrum because their pills are a little smaller, silver because I'm over 50)

Vitamin D 1000 mg (We keep Vitafusion gummies on the counter for everyone)

Vitamin C 9 months of the year (sooo much fruit in summer it doesn't feel necessary)

fish oil--I'm trying this for 6 months along with dietary changes (less sat fat)  to see if I can lower my cholesterol

• Like 1

Absolutely nothing now.  I used to take a daily multi and turmeric.  Based upon advice due to a test result I added iron.  Iron turned out to be really bad for me physically - causing chest pain, fatigue, joint pain, etc.

I dropped the iron (found out that caused those problems), went low iron instead even with diet (tons better for me), and decided my body is too abnormal to add extra things to it thinking I was helping.  None of my other problems went away dropping the multi or turmeric, but they haven't gotten worse from doing that either - just normal progression.

That's for pills.

I drink green tea in the morning almost daily, have a vice of allowing myself one 16oz caffeinated full sugar soda per day - I need the caffeine - allow myself the sugary treat, and make sure I get enough salt in my diet (far more than most need) all because those things seem to make me feel better than going without them.  I consider all of these things "for my health."  I know they all could be addictions rather than needs, but... oh well.

• Like 2

I'm supposed to be taking daily Alive whole foods vitamins (for energy?), 2000 U of Vitamin D (because of a deficiency), and fish oil (prescribed years ago, can't remember what for).  But I don't always remember to take them.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 1

NingXia Red - Full of nutrients

- Grapefruit EO, Lemon EO, Sacred Frankincense, and Sole Water added to my NingXia Red

Mineral Essence - trace minerals, I forget to take this every day sometimes. But I get the sole water daily so..

Thyromin - to support thyroid and endocrine system

EndoFlex EO blend - applied over my thyroid and adrenals every morning to support endocrine system

Liquid calcium/magnesium/Vit D

• Like 2

d3

iron

b12

magnesium

minerals- to keep my ratios right

c to help my iron absorb

Because if I don't my level drop. I'm trying to keep my levels stable instead of playing catch up. I get bloodwork a few different times a year.

I used to take selenium because it is rec'd for hashis but even taken the rec'd amount my levels ended up too high. 

I have trouble absorbing stuff so I continue to eat well and take supplements.

• Like 1

I have PTSD and a heart arrhythmia. This is what I have worked out:

• L-Theanine
  • Vitamin C
  • 5-HTP
  • Magnesium
  • B-12
  • making sure I get enough potassium through food

I also take vitamins D and K when I feel sick, and probiotics every day.

Can you take Inositol with psych meds?

ETA: I have osteopenia but also too much calcium in my urine so don't take a calcium supplement.  I do eat a lot of dairy. The calcium in the urine can lead to stone formation but I drink a lot of water with lemon juice so that mitigates that  potential problem. 

I've been hearing a lot of conflicting reports these days about calcium supplements.  It's hard to know what to do!  I try and get enough in the food I eat, too.

• Like 1

That's all.  I've tried a whole bunch of things that supposedly help with migraines, but none of them helped me, and one made them worse.  

If you find anything that works, let me know!  My dd has taken a whole bunch of things for her migraines too, with no luck.

• Like 1

If you find anything that works, let me know! My dd has taken a whole bunch of things for her migraines too, with no luck.

If I find something that works, I'll be shouting it from the rooftops! :D

I'm so sorry that your daughter has to deal with migraines too.

• Like 1

Per the advice of my doctor, I take fish oil, vitamin D, niacin, a baby aspirin because I have a genetic clotting disorder, and folate because I have an MTHFR mutation. I started taking magnesium to help me sleep, and if I'm sick or feel like I'm starting to come down with something I'll take vitamin C and zinc.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I take magnesium along with calcium (they're separate).   my grandmother had severe osteoporosis (she lost at least 4-5 inches in height), with a severe dowager's hump/stoop.  my sister and I were both paranoid about it when we were younger.   she was also a huge tea drinker, and I've read that can have a connection.  the caffeine got to her too.

b12 - sublingual methylcobalimum

b-complex

mthf - I'm homozygous for the mutation. folate has made a big difference for me.

multi

5,000IUs d3 in an olive oil base geltab.  I'm very fair, tend to stay out of the sun, and live in the PNW.

probiotic

5htp - due to the mthf

and some other things due to specific health issues.

• Like 1

I use now brand. 12 grams, up to 16 grams per day in two doses. I take 2/3 of my total for the day in the am and the other third in the afternoon. It's a carbohydrate and tastes very slightly sweet. I take it in plain water and I don't like the way it tastes in tea.

ETA. Myo-inositol

You recommended inositol when I was asking for help regarding my daughter's anxiety, and I appreciate that, btw. But if you mentioned dosage, somehow it escaped my attention. So she's only been taking the dose recommended on the bottle, which is tiny compared to what you're taking! We have the same product (NOW brand). Did I miscalculate, or are you taking about 4-6 tsp of the powder per day? And if so, would you recommend that I start having my daughter take that dose as well? There's no potential harm from it right, no side effects?

I've cut back.  Some from things I read about, some  b/c I can't afford all these things LOL

Vitamin D.  Was low for years, but started the drops(suggested here) and my levels are great now.  So much less this summer, but will ramp back up when the dark time comes up here.  I alternate between a pill and the drops, but the drops were what brought my levels up, so maybe I'll just stop buying the pills when I run out. 

Vitamin B complex.  I just need this.  

Probiotic.  why are these things so expensive?  Need it for my gut.  

Fish oil.  It's in the fridge, I'm not consistent.  

Calcium/Magnesium.  It's in the fridge.  I'm not consistent.  I'm torn about this as I read conflicting stuff about it.  It's expensive too, so often left off the shopping list 

I changed how I eat this winter and feel so much better.  Really trying to focus on better food in my life.  Losing weight helped my thyroid too and was able to lower my dosage.  

• Like 1

You recommended inositol when I was asking for help regarding my daughter's anxiety, and I appreciate that, btw. But if you mentioned dosage, somehow it escaped my attention. So she's only been taking the dose recommended on the bottle, which is tiny compared to what you're taking! We have the same product (NOW brand). Did I miscalculate, or are you taking about 4-6 tsp of the powder per day? And if so, would you recommend that I start having my daughter take that dose as well? There's no potential harm from it right, no side effects?

Oh yeah it's a huge dose for taking it for that purpose. There's something ppl take it for.... Uhm pcos maybe? Where they don't need that much. Standby and I'll try to find some of what I read about it before I started. I know they talk about it on forum for anxiety...

When I first started taking it I had wicked dry mouth for about four days.

I take a custom blend of multivitamins specifically for brain health.

In addition to that, I take 3 coldwater omega capsules,

I've recently added 3 calcium/magnesium tablets,

and I take ashwagandha (in tablet form. This is an herb that works similarly

to ginseng and it really helps my brain think more clearly!)

When I remember I also take my K2-D3 supplement.

• Like 1

This one mentions "up to 18g."

Potassium fairly regularly.   I do nothing regularly unless there are immediate negative consequences for not doing so.   Fortunately, I feel icky if I don't bathe or brush teeth.    I have Restless Leg Syndrome that is completely controlled with potassium and magnesium supplements.   When I don't take potassium for a bit, my legs get twitchy.   Magnesium I added because it helps the potassium.  

Emergen C multi-vitamins.   This used to be my only source of potassium, and it does have a lot.   I maybe take two packets a week.  My diet isn't the best, so I figure that these keep me out of major trouble.  

The last month or so, I stopped taking probiotics and switched to the chicory root fiber gummy prebiotic and fish oil pills.   I've been pleased with the switch.  I've been very regular.  At first I thought it was because we were on vacation, and instead of being on the computer all day, I was doing a normal amount of walking.  But, since I've been back, it is still good.  

Supplements aren't regulated by the FDA. For this reason, you might be getting much less, or much more, of a given vitamin or mineral than you think. Either one of these situations is risky.

J-rap, if you're worried about osteoporosis, studies have shown that taking calcium supplements is not a good preventative. Your best bet is to start some serious weight training two or three days a week, and make sure that, additionally, you're getting your minimum 75 minutes of vigorous exercise and 120 minutes of moderate exercise every week as well. Weight training doesn't only strengthen muscles, it strengthens bones as well.

• Like 2

I take magnesium along with calcium (they're separate).   my grandmother had severe osteoporosis (she lost at least 4-5 inches in height), with a severe dowager's hump/stoop.  my sister and I were both paranoid about it when we were younger.   she was also a huge tea drinker, and I've read that can have a connection.  the caffeine got to her too.

My mother has severe osteoporosis (she's 89) and needless to say, I'm kind of paranoid about this too!  She always had very thin bones though, even as a girl.

Potassium fairly regularly.   I do nothing regularly unless there are immediate negative consequences for not doing so.   Fortunately, I feel icky if I don't bathe or brush teeth.    I have Restless Leg Syndrome that is completely controlled with potassium and magnesium supplements.   When I don't take potassium for a bit, my legs get twitchy.   Magnesium I added because it helps the potassium.  

How much potassium and magnesium do you take?  Do you take it before bed?  I have terrible RLS sometimes, which is really tortuous on long airplane rides!

I forgot to add proomega ultimate NN fish oil. 

a lot of stuff was originally rec'd for dudeling by his ND.   and we've seen the difference it's made for him.

I make dh take gaba because  . . . stress . . . .

I meant to add that I do add cider vinegar and tumeric to my smoothies daily.  I read tumeric in a pill wasn't effective.  Hence why I stopped taking it.  And apparently it does better with black pepper... so I'm back to adding it to food items and not a pill.  

What do you all know/think about tumeric and if it can be taken by pill effectively?

I drink green tea and turmeric tea daily for the reasons you listed. I prefer the food because I don't trust supplement companies :-) I would like to try L-theanine with my anxious dd but agsin, I worry about supplement safety.

How do you make turmeric tea? I steep a couple of root cuttings in my green/white tea along with ginger but not sure anything is actually coming out of those sad looking roots...

I also throw in those roots in every stew I make but again, I have no idea, short of ingesting turmeric roots, if these things have any sort of effect.

Edited by madteaparty