Menu

Would this make you feel defensive?

Miss Peregrine

We went to lunch today and there was a piece of paper to put your name and party number on. A woman was signing in and then she put the pen down. I grabbed a pen out of my purse and wrote my info down. She said, "Oh, you have your own fancy pen!" I said, "I don't like to use pens that are used by lots of people all day. I always use my own."

The next person comes in and the first woman says to the next woman, "Oh, you're going to have my germs all over you now. You're using a pen I just used. She (gesturing to me) wouldn't use this one because other people touched it."

After a pause she continued, "That's okay, you've got the best on you now."

Granted, I probably could have just said, "I always use my own pen." Or just smiled, or whatever. It just came out and I wasn't trying to school anyone.

Would you have been defensive like this woman? Am I the rude one? :lol:

Edited by Miss Peregrine

Is she from Cleveland? Lol! But seriously... cause I've had about a million interactions like this with people from Cleveland. They don't mean anything by it, I don't mean anything by it and everything is fine.

I live in a community where this sort of nonsense passes for small talk. She signaled that she was up for dumb comments when she said something about your pen being fancy...another kind of person would have cared more about whether you signed than with what instrument. So you took the bait when you could have just smiled and said, "Yes, I guess so. Sign it where?"

Not blaming you, she sounds like a petty nut, but I do know the type.

• Like 8

I think the responsibility for the weirdness falls on the person who made the first comment. Why does using your own pen need to be remarked on in the first place? It certainly wasn't polite to continue saying anything to other customers. I would just silently assume someone had some OCD tendencies (using the loose definition of the term) and move on.

• Like 9

I suppose that depends on how the fancy pen comment came out.

I like "fancy" pens. Funky ink colors and glittery ink get high priority and then if it has a fancier barrel or topper, even better. So for me, if someone had said something like "ooh, you have a fancy pen" I would have been like "Yeah! Isn't is AWESOME?!?! It's all purplely and sparkly and it writes SO smooth."

Unless they were all full of disdain when they said it. Cause then I would have been all sarcastic and stuff right back. But if she wasn't being all snotty commenting on the pen, then yeah, I would think you were probably a bit out of line. I would not have responded the way she did, since employees at a business should take the higher road in a situation like that. But I would have secretly thought you were a snobby germaphobe.

She was the customer in front of me. My "fancy" pen is a magenta Flair. Edited by Miss Peregrine

yes, she was rude. I would say the same kind of thing... if I was teasing my sisters and my mother. We tease like that among each other. But I could not imagine saying it to someone else. And I know what you mean about not meaning to even say what you said in the first place. I have no filter and things come out like that too, not meaning any harm or rudeness. I could see myself saying the same thing you did on accident. 

• Like 2

Unless your own was a huge feathered quill pen, like for the wedding guest books of the 80s, or something equally out of the ordinary, then I would assume her comment was meant to be rude. If I did anything more than glare at her, probably just said "Excuse me? What is your problem?" When she made the comment to the person behind me in line I very likely would have told her off.

It's not like you made a scene demanding that the hostess bring youna fresh packaged pen because some germy woman touched it, you quietly got out your own pen, signed in, and there was zero reason for anyone to comment on it

• Like 7

I also have a magenta Flair in my bag. It IS fancy, thank you very much!

Shrug. I think you were both awkward about it. She was probably just awkwardly trying to do a gentle poke as a sort of overture/icebreaker but it came out defensive and then you upped the ante a little, honestly. But that's okay. No big deal.

• Like 9

See you COULD have said "I always use my own pen because I have fingernail herpes and don't want to spread it around."

She woul have been googling the aitch ee double hockey sticks out of fingernail herpes.

She might have been simply interested in your kind of pen. If I made a comment about someone's pen, I would have been looking for more information about the pen. Your comment kinda made it about people's yucky germs instead of the coolness of a pen. I wouldn't have been defensive about it, but I don't generally offend easily. And people's issues with germs are their issues, and not about me. But it would have been a less interesting question than talking about the pen. :)

• Like 4

Unless the woman was really snotty when commenting on your "fancy" pen, I would've just taken it as a joking attempt at small talk. I would've said, "Yep, I love this pen!" or "I'm always prepared with my own pen!" Your comment about not wanting to use the pen so many others used would have seemed weird to me (OCD?) and possibly a rude comment directed at me. I'm guessing that's exactly the way she took it and then included the other person as a way to be passive aggressive.

• Like 12

fancy... what did the pen look like? lol That is the part that made things get weird first.

I would have either not explained why or referred to myself as a germophobe as an attempt to attack myself first rather than be attacked. /shrug

I think the woman was over the top but I also think if she didn't have a pen with her then stating what you did might just make her feel uneasy.

• Like 1

I'm thinking she took offense to the comment about germs, so had to rub it in with the next person.  Kind of like playground cooties.  Yes, it is a roll the eyes moment.  I probably would have just said  oh, thanks and left it at that. If she expressed more interest, would have said where I got it.  Customers coo over the papermate profile pens we get at target. Nothing special, yet they like em.    

• Like 1

fancy... what did the pen look like? lol That is the part that made things get weird first.

I would have either not explained why or referred to myself as a germophobe as an attempt to attack myself first rather than be attacked. /shrug

I think the woman was over the top but I also think if she didn't have a pen with her then stating what you did might just make her feel uneasy.

Yeah, I won't out myself again. Lol

I can see how it felt personal to her. Like I said, it just came out. I can be matter-of-fact.

• Like 1

I think it was rude of her to comment on your pen to begin with. That's where things began to go wrong, IMO.

But your comment about germs may have irritated her, because it suggests you wouldn't want to touch something after she touches it. I can see being a little put out about that, if someone said it to me.

I sometimes think about germy pens myself, to be honest, but to say it to the person who just used the pen right before you.....it becomes a little personal.

And then her comment to the customer after you was way out of line. Even if she felt offended, she shouldn't have expressed it in that way.

I do think that if this happens again, make your comments about pen choice only about yourself, not about other people. You can brush it off the snotty "fancy" comment by saying something like, "I love pens. This is one of my favorites." Leave germs out of the conversation.

• Like 11

I think it was rude of her to comment on your pen to begin with. That's where things began to go wrong, IMO.

But your comment about germs may have irritated her, because it suggests you wouldn't want to touch something after she touches it. I can see being a little put out about that, if someone said it to me.

I sometimes think about germy pens myself, to be honest, but to say it to the person who just used the pen right before you.....it becomes a little personal.

And then her comment to the customer after you was way out of line. Even if she felt offended, she shouldn't have expressed it in that way.

I do think that if this happens again, make your comments about pen choice only about yourself, not about other people. You can brush it off the snotty "fancy" comment by saying something like, "I love pens. This is one of my favorites." Leave germs out of the conversation.

I agree.

• Like 1

See you COULD have said "I always use my own pen because I have fingernail herpes and don't want to spread it around."

She woul have been googling the aitch ee double hockey sticks out of fingernail herpes.

Unfortunately I am out of likes for the day, because I could have used 3 or 4 of them for this post.

• Like 3

Meh. Just a conversation that would have rolled off for me - or maybe I would have told my family about later and laughed, but I wouldn't have been overly concerned about any perceived rudeness.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Unless your own was a huge feathered quill pen, like for the wedding guest books of the 80s, or something equally out of the ordinary, then I would assume her comment was meant to be rude. If I did anything more than glare at her, probably just said "Excuse me? What is your problem?" When she made the comment to the person behind me in line I very likely would have told her off.

It's not like you made a scene demanding that the hostess bring youna fresh packaged pen because some germy woman touched it, you quietly got out your own pen, signed in, and there was zero reason for anyone to comment on it

Now I want to carry around a fancy fluffy quill and whip it out to sign things in public.

• Like 8

So, I could have said something like the woman said...just trying to start conversation, be friendly. But, when you made the statement about not using "public pens," friendly me would have said, "Yeah, I totally get you. They probably do have lots of germs on them. A good idea."

She was ridiculously offended, took it to personally and evidently runs around with a chip on her shoulder instead of looking for new friends. 😄

Edited by momacacia
  • Like 4

She was being provocative the moment she said "fancy" pen. She was unnecessarily rude, and put you on the spot.

I agree. Not sure defensive is the right word. She was rude from the get go.

I also use my own pen, if anyone comments (never rude like you experienced!), I've just smiled and said, "oh, it's just a habit since I've often got a pen in hand."

• Like 3

I'd have to hear the tone of her comment before deciding whether she was being obnoxious in the first place.

I probably would not have said I don't like other people's germs on me right after the other person put the pen down.  I probably would have just said "oh thank you" to the fancy pen comment, and written my name and moved on.  :P

• Like 3

Or....

"Yes, my Great Aunt Mabel left it to me when she passed last month. According to her will, if I use only this pen for the next 6 months, I'll be able to claim my $1M inheritance. If I use any other pen that money will be left to her Shih Tsu instead."

<Furtive glance over shoulder>

"I never know who's following me to make sure I don't mess up. That dog's lawyer has spies everywhere."

• Like 7

If you have a magenta flair pen it is kind of fancy and I wouldn't assume the fancy pen comment was snarky. Could easily have just been conversational. After that you were a little rude, and she followed suit. So I wouldn't have felt defensive. I would have felt like I put my foot in mouth.

• Like 6

I'd have to hear the tone of her comment before deciding whether she was being obnoxious in the first place.

I probably would not have said I don't like other people's germs on me right after the other person put the pen down.  I probably would have just said "oh thank you" to the fancy pen comment, and written my name and moved on.  :p

Yeah, the OP didn't indicate the way the woman said it.  It kinda cracks me up sometimes when people on this board assume the worst of someone in a situation like this.  It's as though, if a boardie is complaining about an interaction with a person, the person must have been rude or obnoxious.  I'm sure it's not 100% but a general vibe I get here. 

I was wondering if the woman was just looking for some friendly conversation.  Lately it seems like random people are talking to me more when I'm out and about.  And I'm always hearing people say they hate talking on the phone, hate having small talk conversations with strangers, etc.  Not that those things are necessarily related but I wonder if there are some people out there starved for conversation with a person.  And then they try to start one and it comes off badly.    Just musing on that.  

• Like 3

Unless you were reading something into her tone of voice that I can't hear from reading text, I don't think her fancy pen comment was out of line. However, i could see her taking your reply personally and being offended as you basically told her that you didn't want to touch s pen after she had used it. Her comment to the next customer was unnecessary and equally rude.

• Like 3

Not only did the germ comment highlight that you wouldn't want to touch something she touched but that her hygeine is a bit sketchy if she was fine using the pen everyone else had. I have been in that position as I am totally not a germaphobe. I am clean and practice good hygiene but I really don't worry about germs out and about. I have had people comment on things like using a community pen and it made me feel like that person thinks I am gross or uneducated. So I get that.

I think it was a super awkward exchange that both parties played a role in. No judgement from me as I find myself in awkward exchanges on a pretty regular basis.

• Like 5

:lol: :lol: :lol:   I read this a few minutes ago and it is still making me snicker. 

• Like 1

I would've been a bit offended if I was the other person in this conversation. I would take it to heart that you apparently believe I am germy and won't use a pen I touched (and funnily enough, at the moment I actually AM germy). I wouldn't have mentioned it to the next customer though (that was very weird on her part). But I could totally see myself sitting there wondering about how you "dissed" me and my hygeine.

I also could see me commenting on your fancy pens - I love pens and do often comment on "cool" ones. I once had a bank teller practically wrestle one out of my hand after I blathered on about how smoothly it wrote; she did apologize after I looked a little stunned and said that she had had customers try to steal that particular one before. 

Edited by beckyjo
  • Like 2

I don't know. She kept looking over at me while we ate. :lol:

Makes me wonder if you brushed too close to a deep dark secret she's been keeping...something that makes her hypersensitive to remarks like yours....

Oh my imagination. Gets me in trouble...

• Like 3