Menu

Does anyone not take drugs?

eternalsummer

drugs poll  

285 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following do you take more than once a month?

• Caffeine (chocolate or tea or coke or coffee, etc.)
    • alcohol
    • nicotine
    • prescription pharma for brain issues (sleeping pills, depression meds, etc.)
    • OTC painkillers or sleeping aids (tylenol, benadryl, advil, etc.)
    • other drugs I'm not thinking of right now
    • natural mood changers - melatonin, 5-HTP, St John's Wort, etc.
    • None! I don't take any of it!
    • (added) prescriptions for long-term physical things like blood pressure
    • hormones (not sure how this works or how to word it)

Sugar's tricky because almost every person has some every day - babies get it through breastmilk, even.  Very few people, worldwide (I think) have no sugar in their diets.

Now added sugar is a different thing - but isn't fruit juice and coke basically the same sugar load?

on the other hand, drinking 10 cans of sprite a day is definitely something you do deliberately to alter mood, so it can be a drug.

hmmm

I don't think there's anything morally upright about having acid reflux or not having it, jeez.  I have largely been lucky in the genetic lottery (except for gestational diabetes, which might not even be genetic, I dunno) but still, until 2 weeks ago, I and every single other adult I knew  (and a lot of the kids) took some drug on a regular basis, whether prescribed or not.

I just think that's remarkable.  Don't you think that's remarkable?

I would add that I don't consider someone who uses herbal/nutritional supplements instead of OTC meds or prescriptions to be more noble.

I also don't think it's noble to walk around in pain and refuse to take anything to relieve it. If there's a history of addiction then yes, avoid opioid pain relievers, but to refuse to even take acetaminophen or ibuprofen (assuming no allergies) doesn't make one better or more noble.

No, I don't take OTC supplements either, and I don't find them superior to manufactured pharmaceuticals (or either of the above superior to say marijuana) - I think it really depends on the situation and the person's needs.  I would have added it to the poll but it only had 10 spots, and I didn't think something like calcium supplements affected mood (I am really mostly interested in mood-changing drugs).

Actually in the U.S. one could say they're inferior to manufactured pharmaceuticals because they have zero regulation. Often they don't contain what they say they do, or not in the amount specified. Sometimes they contain other potentially dangerous ingredients.

http://gizmodo.com/most-store-brand-herbal-supplements-dont-even-contain-t-1683515706

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2009/06/prweb2556564.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/05/science/herbal-supplements-are-often-not-what-they-seem.html

• Like 4

I don't think there's anything morally upright about having acid reflux or not having it, jeez.  I have largely been lucky in the genetic lottery (except for gestational diabetes, which might not even be genetic, I dunno) but still, until 2 weeks ago, I and every single other adult I knew  (and a lot of the kids) took some drug on a regular basis, whether prescribed or not.

I just think that's remarkable.  Don't you think that's remarkable?

My reflux is an immoral a-hole.

Seriously....that jerk does not care about me AT ALL. 

• Like 3

I think sugar would need to be included if the idea is mood altering. Many of brothers on your list, that's not the primary purpose.

I have one cup of tea a day, chocolate as wanted, benadryl and albuterol as needed for allergy induced asthma, occasional Advil, vitamins because I'm currently very anemic, tend toward vitamin d deficiency, and calcium deficiency.

• Like 4

Yes, I saw a report several years ago, I think when we were living in NZ but maybe not, about how a group had tested the capsules of some herb or another and found that 95% of it was just grass.  I saw a similar thing about honey.

Oh yeah I saw that about honey.  That it is sometimes fake.  And pepper....that some tested peppers were just mostly dirt.  WTH?!  That's terrible.

• Like 1

perhaps you should consider changing it from "drugs" to medication.... drugs has a negative connotation.  Your choice to continually use the word drugs instead of medication makes me wonder. 

Well, the thing is, they are all drugs.  Even medication is a drug.  If I changed it to medication, then what would caffeine be?  For some people caffeine is a medication, for some people not, for some people somewhere in between.

I think of drug as a word that describes what it is - antibiotics are a drug.  Caffeine is a drug.  Tylenol is a drug.

Medication starts to describe what the purpose of it is, which is great, but I'm not super concerned about why people are taking the drugs, necessarily - just that everyone seems to take them.  

One 8oz coffee every morning.

As needed, ibrophen for period cramps on the first day only. My cramps are bad and they hurt in my back and thighs. So once per month.

As needed, Excedrin Migraine for a wonky but infrequent tension headache. Maybe 1-2 times per six months.

Just got over a horrid cold. Cough kept DH and me up at night. So I took a 1/3 of a dose of night time cough syrup for about 9 days in a row at night only. I find doing less of the alloted dose typically does enough to let me sleep.

Other than that, nothing.

Caveat: i just had a thrombosed hemorrhoid removed. Wow! I underestimated how much that would hurt. I took only two days worth of narcotic pain killer for that right after the initial procedure. So I'm not opposed to pain meds for really bad stuff.

• Like 1

I guess I wasn't really wondering why people took drugs, so whether it's a needs medication issue or a likes coffee issue wasn't the question. I just wondered if it was my limited circle, or if really almost everyone takes some sort of drug on a regular basis (for whatever reason).

Caffeine, in coffee and in chocolate, is a drug. If you eat or drink it, you are taking a drug. What else would you call it?

Again, I don't mean it pejoratively as I don't even thinking smoking weed is wrong. I just mean it descriptively.

Unfortunately you can't redefine terms to avoid general usage, but if it helps you beat your addiction, go for it. I do have a friend who realized he had a brain that would go into addiction,so he decided to be a health food and exercise addict. Similar to you, he redefined alcohol as a drug, which gave it a negative connotation, and that helped him not reach for it. He gave health food and exercise a positive connotation, and that lead him through the learning curve.

Have to agree with the sugar comments. The effect on your brain if its not occasional is pretty bad. Hangry is quite mild in comparison to an uncontrolled diabetic raging.

I am aware :) I was categorizing the redbull as caffeine and ignoring the speed.

I was just showing off because I don't actually know what tar heroin is Ă°Å¸ËœÅ 

I just had a sinus cocktail - Sudafed, Tylenol, and Dr. Pepper. Before than was a massive antibiotic (two more later today) and a bit of iced coffee to get that horse pill down. Before that was Zantac and a probiotic (one more of each later today).

You caught me on a bad day, lol. As long as I don't need the nausea med later that puts me in a 24-hour coma...

• Like 3

I don't think there's anything morally upright about having acid reflux or not having it, jeez. I have largely been lucky in the genetic lottery (except for gestational diabetes, which might not even be genetic, I dunno) but still, until 2 weeks ago, I and every single other adult I knew (and a lot of the kids) took some drug on a regular basis, whether prescribed or not.

I just think that's remarkable. Don't you think that's remarkable?

No, I don't think its remarkable. We have known for decades that our food supply is lacking in nutrition and we know that we have environmental toxins..what's remarkable is the number of people who refuse to treat their body well and prefer to ingest junk food and toxins in lieu of eating nutritious food. I am the fourth for a senior bridge group. Most of the 90+ crowd is not on any medication..they grew up before processed food and.never switched..they will indulge in a cup of coffee and a cookie sized sweet weekly,.but that's it. They see the doctor enough for genetic issues such as cataracts or environ,emtal.such as melanoma and have no desire to give themselves the diseases related to poor diet. Edited by Heigh Ho

Unfortunately you can't redefine terms to avoid general usage, but if it helps you beat your addiction, go for it. I do have a friend who realized he had a brain that would go into addiction,so he decided to be a health food and exercise addict. Similar to you, he redefined alcohol as a drug, which gave it a negative connotation, and that helped him not reach for it. He gave health food and exercise a positive connotation, and that lead him through the learning curve.

Have to agree with the sugar comments. The effect on your brain if its not occasional is pretty bad. Hangry is quite mild in comparison to an uncontrolled diabetic raging.

Ack, you've got me confused now - I thought alcohol was definitely a drug!

I don't see caffeine as negative - I think I even read that it is good for you to drink a moderate amount every day.  I just can't stick to a moderate amount, so it's not good for me.

I don't see alcohol as inherently negative either, or most pharmaceuticals, or weed, or vitamins, or whatever.  Obviously they can be negative for some people.

But what word would you use for "substance that you take to alter the way your mind works" (or maybe "substance you take to alter the way your body works"), which would include both things prescribed and things not prescribed and things not prescribable? I might not have the right vocabulary.

I think it's ridiculous to call coffee, tea, and chocolate "drugs," or to ask if there's anyone "clean." There's some kind of religious or ideological prejudice or bias there, that does not apply to the general population.

I'm not religious and I'm not against drug use on the whole.

I didn't say anything about clean - that is a weird wording.  I tend to think of clean as more related to people who don't want certain chemical additives in their food, which is a different question.

What would you call caffeine if not a drug?  

Wikipedia says "Caffeine is a central nervous system (CNS) stimulant of the methylxanthine class.[10] It is the world's most widely consumed psychoactive drug."

Edited by eternalsummer

I don't equate having a cup of coffee, or a Mountain Dew for that matter, as being the same as "taking drugs."

Do you mean because it is legal?  I didn't mean to suggest that all drugs should be illegal, or that illegal drugs are the same thing as legal drugs (although obviously some quite literally are - marijuana is prescribed, legal medication in some areas, recreationally legal like alcohol in others, and completely illegal in still others).

No, I don't think its remarkable. We have known for decades that our food supply is lacking in nutrition and we know that we have environmental toxins..what's remarkable is the number of people who refuse to treat their body well and prefer to ingest junk food and toxins in lieu of eating nutritious food. I am the fourth for a senior bridge group. Most of the 90+ crowd is not on any medication..they grew up before processed food and.never switched..they will indulge in a cup of coffee and a cookie sized sweet weekly,.but that's it. They see the doctor enough for genetic issues such as cataracts or environ,emtal.such as melanoma and have no desire to give themselves the diseases related to poor diet.

The only 80+ people I have known in the last several years were all on quite a cocktail.  The only one still alive is on anti-depressants, sleeping meds, heart drugs, long-term antibiotics, and a bunch of other things.  She's not in bad health, exactly  - it's just that as things were difficult in one way or another, or systems started to fail, they added one or another prescription and I guess at 90 it's hard to wean off of them safely.

• Like 2

I took nothing more exciting that acetaminophen and decongestants/sinus headache stuff until my mid-40s. Then my thyroid rebelled, and I went down the rabbit hole.

For a while, I was regularly taking:

• methimazole (thyroid inhibitor)
  • propranolol (beta blocker)
  • metforminn (for insulin resistance)
  • vitamin D

Following the thyroid removal, I'm down to just the metformin and levothyroxine. 

Edited to add: Oh, and I do drink caffeinated soda (definitely more than is good for me) and still take the occasional acetaminophen and decongestant.

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 1

I don't equate having a cup of coffee, or a Mountain Dew for that matter, as being the same as "taking drugs."

If I had just taken sudafed with Tylenol, it wouldn't have done squat with this headache and ear and nose popping. It's the caffeine from the soda that really makes it kick in. So the Dr. Pepper is as much a medication as the other stuff. It also tastes better.

Although I'm thinking "taking drugs" to mean "taking any medication".

• Like 3

^^^This^^^ It's an oddly worded question - take drugs and need medication are phrases with different meanings. For that reason I won't be answering.

ETA: Also drinking coffee and eating chocolate are not considered "taking drugs". 

I agree.  It's very odd and as the thread continues it's becoming even stranger as I'm detecting a bit of superiority in some posts.  Those of you who do not take any medications, consider yourselves fortunate/blessed (however you want to look at it).  It shouldn't be a point of pride though.  

Edited by marbel
  • Like 13

Coffee daily, hourly, every minute????

Benadryl occasionally

Ibuprofen occasionally

wine occasionally (like a few times per year)

Oops. I didn't list any occasional stuff.

If I get a headache I'll take an OTC pill. If I'm under the weather I'll take zinc, C, oil of oregano. Those aren't daily but I'm not opposed to making myself feel better.

Oh - and I wear magnesium oil as deodorant, not sure if that counts as a drug Ă°Å¸ËœÅ 

Edited by mytwomonkeys
  • Like 1

I just had a sinus cocktail - Sudafed, Tylenol, and Dr. Pepper. Before than was a massive antibiotic (two more later today) and a bit of iced coffee to get that horse pill down. Before that was Zantac and a probiotic (one more of each later today).

You caught me on a bad day, lol. As long as I don't need the nausea med later that puts me in a 24-hour coma...

Hey! That's exactly what I call the combo I ingest to dampen a bad sinus headache enough to let me function without putting me to sleep. (Seriously, even the "daytime" stuff knocks me out if I take a full dose.) 

In my case, I take one generic Sinutab equivalent and one acetaminophen and chase them with a Coke Zero. 

• Like 2

I don't know how you could possibly be proud that you don't have a bad thyroid, or that you've never had cancer, or been depressed, or something.  That's like being proud that your hair is brown.

I'm kinda proud I don't have diabetes.  I know that's nutso to say, but the doctors are really hell bent on me having it, but I don't.  I might have t-shirts printed to celebrate. 

:lol:

(long boring story)

• Like 2

I also don't think it's noble to walk around in pain and refuse to take anything to relieve it. If there's a history of addiction then yes, avoid opioid pain relievers, but to refuse to even take acetaminophen or ibuprofen (assuming no allergies) doesn't make one better or more noble.

Actually in the U.S. one could say they're inferior to manufactured pharmaceuticals because they have zero regulation. Often they don't contain what they say they do, or not in the amount specified. Sometimes they contain other potentially dangerous ingredients.

http://gizmodo.com/most-store-brand-herbal-supplements-dont-even-contain-t-1683515706

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2009/06/prweb2556564.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/05/science/herbal-supplements-are-often-not-what-they-seem.html

I can't like this post enough. Thank you Lady Florida! Just because someone needs stronger pain medications to be able to function is not a moral question. I can't take NSAIDS and having RA along with many other diseases, I I do take opoids at times. I have never been addicted to anything.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'm not religious and I'm not against drug use on the whole.

I didn't say anything about clean - that is a weird wording. I tend to think of clean as more related to people who don't want certain chemical additives in their food, which is a different question.

What would you call caffeine if not a drug?

Wikipedia says "Caffeine is a central nervous system (CNS) stimulant of the methylxanthine class.[10] It is the world's most widely consumed psychoactive drug."

Caffeine in certain quantities is a drug. In moderation, such as the quantity in a cup of tea or a candy bar, it is not a drug because it isn't present in large enough quantities to have the effect of alieviating symptoms or causing an observable (without a microscope) change in behavior or body. Some people are just not as sensitive as others, and don't find a chocolate or a cup of tea to be enough to keep them from sleeping. Sugar is similar. It affects a diabetic in a different way than a nondiabetic. In small quantities, it doesn't cause symptoms of illness in someone with a functioning digestive system. In large quantities it can. We don't call it a drug because we don't use it to alleviate any symptoms other than an emergency low blood sugar.

A drug is something taken to alleviate a symptom or cure a disease. Taking a drug for another reason is called drug abuse.

Taking a small quantity of something that is found naturally and labeled a drug when refined and concentrated in large quantity is called eating. I could get all the B12 I needed if spent the day eating collards and tomotoes. Instead, I take a drug. Because I now have what my body needs nutritionally, I cure the dis ease of a cloudy mind, among other symptoms caused by B12 deficiency.

Edited by Heigh Ho

Lightly caffeinated tea, 2 weekly sodas, dark chocolate, melatonin (a night a week on average.)

I get B-12 shots because I don't have the ability to absorb it in my digestive tract anymore, which does cause a change in mood if it's too low for too long, but I don't know that a nutrient like that would be considered a drug.

I sometimes take ibuprofen for knee or back pain.

Edited by Homeschool Mom in AZ
  • Like 2

Not being sick is certainly an issue for pride for many. In the "crunchy" population needing any kind of medication is some kind of failure. I should just do headstands (to stimulate my thyroid gland doncha know) and eat {insert your diet of choice} and I wouldn't need meds. Nevermind that in auto-immmune thyroid disease, which 90% of thyroid disease are, your body kills off your thyroid and earlier treatment is related to better outcomes.

That is just one example. In the crunchy realm, nearly every disease can be cured if you live and eat "right". And if such and such diets/recommendations fail you then you must not have done it right or be lying.

Then there is some weird part of the population that seems to think that anyone who is sick is pretty much lazy, unless you have some big obvious issue like cancer or a leg amputated. It seems to be linked to Christianity, the vestiges of puritanical beliefs that sickness is God's punishment.

• Like 13

Count me among those who find this thread totally repugnant. The implication that one is somehow superior if you've had the stupid good fortune to not need medication is . . . ugh.

That said -- I consume a lot of coffee (caffeine) and consider it part of a healthy diet. There are so many proven health benefits!

And I had the genetic misfortune of being diagnosed with Hashimoto's a few years ago, so daily thyroid medicine will be something I'll need for the rest of my life. But hey, OP, if it makes you feel superior that you don't need anything like that . . . well, goody for you.

(And yes I admit to being in a really crappy mood due to some very worrisome real life health issues DH is having through absolutely no fault of his own that may result in the need for many, many heavy duty drugs. I guess he didn't live right or something. :rolleyes:)

• Like 15

I think it's ridiculous to call coffee, tea, and chocolate "drugs," or to ask if there's anyone "clean." There's some kind of religious or ideological prejudice or bias there, that does not apply to the general population.

I think some you are over reacting.  I assume the OP is just wondering how many people in the modern industrialized world are not on anything technically considered a drug.  It's like when pregnant women ask if there are any women out there who had natural childbirths with no interventions and some women get all defensive and want to explain why they needed their interventions. There's no need to get upset by assuming judgement.  Or when people here ask if anyone is homeschooling without any kind of outsourcing. No reason to think the person asking has bad intentions. She's just trying to figure out if au natural is something that happens anymore with anyone.  It can be perfectly neutral and entirely out of curiosity.

• Like 4

I'm kinda proud I don't have diabetes. I know that's nutso to say, but the doctors are really hell bent on me having it, but I don't. I might have t-shirts printed to celebrate.

:lol:

(long boring story)

I agree. Type 2 is preventable for many, but it takes self discipline and resistance to peer pressure to not go there.

Not being sick is certainly an issue for pride for many. In the "crunchy" population needing any kind of medication is some kind of failure. I should just do headstands (to stimulate my thyroid gland doncha know) and eat {insert your diet of choice} and I wouldn't need meds. Nevermind that in auto-immmune thyroid disease, which 90% of thyroid disease are, your body kills off your thyroid and earlier treatment is related to better outcomes.

That is just one example. In the crunchy realm, nearly every disease can be cured if you live and eat "right". And if such and such diets/recommendations fail you then you must not have done it right or be lying.

Then there is some weird part of the population that seems to think that anyone who is sick is pretty much lazy, unless you have some big obvious issue like cancer or a leg amputated. It seems to be linked to Christianity, the vestiges of puritanical beliefs that sickness is God's punishment.

Totally agree.  And everything in the world can be cured with a low carb diet.  I'm living proof of that....oh wait..I'm not.  LOL

• Like 4

Lightly caffeinated tea, dark chocolate, melatonin (a night a week on average.)

I get B-12 shots because I don't have the ability to absorb it in my digestive tract anymore, which does cause a change in mood if it's too low for too long, but I don't know that a nutrient like that would be considered a drug.

I sometimes take ibuprofen for knee or back pain.

where do you get the injections?  Do you give it to yourself?

• Like 1

I'm so glad that I live in an age and a country where my big list of prescription drugs and supplements can keep me alive and functional.  It is luck (or providence or whatever) that makes it possible for some to not need any medications.  I eat "clean" (and did prior to needing medications).  I don't drink coffee or tea or soda or alcohol.  I don't have a choice so it isn't some kind of moral thing to just drink water.  I do allow myself 2 squares of dark chocolate a day and don't consider that a moral failure. 

This country is in a huge drug (as in heroin and the like) epidemic.  I find this thread offensive as well.

Soror - I agreed with much of what you've said in your posts but I am a Christian and do not see anything at all in Christianity that would scorn the proper use of medications. 

• Like 12

I think some you are over reacting.  I assume the OP is just wondering how many people in the modern industrialized world are not on anything technically considered a drug.  It's like when pregnant women ask if there are any women out there who had natural childbirths with no interventions and some women get all defensive and want to explain why they needed their interventions. There's no need to get upset by assuming judgement.  Or when people here ask if anyone is homeschooling without any kind of outsourcing. No reason to think the person asking has bad intentions. She's just trying to figure out if au natural is something that happens anymore with anyone.  It can be perfectly neutral and entirely out of curiosity.

That's how I took the OP's question. 

• Like 1

Count me among those who find this thread totally repugnant. The implication that one is somehow superior if you've had the stupid good fortune to not need medication is . . . ugh.

That said -- I consume a lot of coffee (caffeine) and consider it part of a healthy diet. There are so many proven health benefits!

And I had the genetic misfortune of being diagnosed with Hashimoto's a few years ago, so daily thyroid medicine will be something I'll need for the rest of my life. But hey, OP, if it makes you feel superior that you don't need anything like that . . . well, goody for you.

(And yes I admit to being in a really crappy mood due to some very worrisome real life health issues DH is having through absolutely no fault of his own that may result in the need for many, many heavy duty drugs. I guess he didn't live right or something. :rolleyes:)

(hugs) Sorry to hear about your dh :(

I have 2 people very close to me right now being kept alive by heavy duty medication and medical treatments. No, we sure as hell don't want them on such things but it is better than the alternative, thank God for modern medicine. It has been an emotional roller coaster here. When your loved one is given a diagnosis of metastasized cancer and the dr's have a treatment that is promising the thought of avoiding meds to stay atop some moral high ground is the furthest thing from your mind.  

• Like 5

Uh oh. In my answer, I stated my house looks like a pharmacy. I hope I'm not being judged on that. Half my refrigerator is filled with medicine, too. Ă°Å¸ËœÂ±Ă°Å¸ËœÂ±Ă°Å¸ËœÂ±Ă°Å¸â€™Å Ă°Å¸â€™â€°Ă°Å¸â€™Å Ă°Å¸â€™â€°

I actually don't sense judgement from the op, tbh. It's an interesting question. There's a few posts that do feel a bit superior, imo, but such is life.

Yeah, I wasn't seeing superiority/judgment in the OP.  A few others, though (which of course I could be reading wrong).  There is just this vibe in some posts...

• Like 1

Soror - I agreed with much of what you've said in your posts but I am a Christian and do not see anything at all in Christianity that would scorn the proper use of medications. 

To clarify---I should say that I am Christian as well and I don't think Christianity is at odds with modern medicine. BUT I have often come across this belief that seems to stem from that thought. Most people would never say such things out loud but the implications are loud and clear.

• Like 5

<snip>

Yeah, I was with Soror's post right up to the end.   I have never run across any Christian teaching that says sickness is God's punishment or that Christians should not use medication.  

• Like 3

where do you get the injections?  Do you give it to yourself?

Local med spa.  They offer the lipo/B12 shots for weight loss.  I have 10 more pounds to go.  I do think they're effective because I had already changed my diet (eliminated a lot of junk and cuts sodas back to 2 a week) and was regularly exercising for more than a year until March 5 when I had a knee injury on an intense hike.  I kept up with the diet and and the shots, but not exercise and still lost 5 pounds. 

I could learn to give them to myself or I could just keep going to my standing 2 minute appointment and average 3 minute waiting time.  I get the small dose, weekly shots, not long large dose monthly shots.

• Like 1