Menu

Looking For a Monolingual Spanish Picture Dictionary

Slache

Does your library system have those First 1000 Words in Spanish books? You can look through them and order a personal copy of the one ypou like the best.

I think the problem with those is that they all include English in addition to the Spanish. Once your child knows English, the dual-language books really aren't very effective.

However your post remind me that I once saw a Cat-in-the-Hat one that was more wordy, I can't remember if it included English... Oops, sounds like lots of English.

https://www.amazon.com/Beginner-Book-Dictionary-Spanish-Books/dp/0394815424

Edited by SusanC
  • Like 1

I think the problem with those is that they all include English in addition to the Spanish. Once your child knows English, the dual-language books really aren't very effective.

However your post remind me that I once saw a Cat-in-the-Hat one that was more wordy, I can't remember if it included English... Oops, sounds like lots of English.

I own

Revised Edition of The Usborne First Thousand Words in Spanish

The Usborne Book of Everyday Words in Spanish

Neither of these books contain any English in the main body of work. Each page spread is a scene with a picture and various items labeled ONLY in Spanish along the margin.

Both of these books have a 1-page English introduction in the front and in the back of both is a 3-column word list in the back of the book, arranged alphabetically by Spanish and formatted like this

Spanish -- Pronunciation -- English so something like

Pollo ----- poh-YOH -- chicken

But The Usborne First 100 Words in Spanish does have English in a smaller print beneath each of the Spanish words. And has the same type of word list in the back.

If the children are learning to read/ Speak Spanish from some one who can then these pages aren't going to help or harm them. The pronunciation given is Castilian Spanish, but I read speak with a different accent so I don't use those pages myself.

• Like 1

Does your library system have those First 1000 Words in Spanish books? You can look through them and order a personal copy of the one ypou like the best.

I was looking for something slightly older.

This! :)

I own

Neither of these books contain any English in the main body of work. Each page spread is a scene with a picture and various items labeled ONLY in Spanish along the margin.

Both of these books have a 1-page English introduction in the front and in the back of both is a 3-column word list in the back of the book, arranged alphabetically by Spanish and formatted like this

But The Usborne First 100 Words in Spanish does have English in a smaller print beneath each of the Spanish words. And has the same type of word list in the back.

If the children are learning to read/ Speak Spanish from some one who can then these pages aren't going to help or harm them. The pronunciation given is Castilian Spanish, but I read speak with a different accent so I don't use those pages myself.

Thanks. My 6yo boy reads and writes in English and reads Spanish poorly. This year we are focusing on reading and writing in Spanish for both him and my 4yo girl.

• Like 1

I own

Cool! Sorry I doubted you!

• Like 1

Older how? An older book or a book for an older audience?

Thanks. My 6yo boy reads and writes in English and reads Spanish poorly. This year we are focusing on reading and writing in Spanish for both him and my 4yo girl.

Sounds like they would both benefit from a Spanish Learning to Read book like Nacho or something similar. I have answered several questions on readers recently for ReadingMama.

Edited by mom2bee

They aren't monolingual but I highly recommend the following to English dominant families who are serious about Spanish Language Acquisition.

Kids Stuff Spanish

Spanish for Beginners (A. Wilkes, The new version has a CD)

Berlitz Kids Spanish: Adventures with Nicholas trilogy

Play and Learn Spanish

Berlitz Kids Spanish Picture dictionary*

Just Look n Learn Spanish Picture Dictionary*

Kids Can Press Spanish & English Phrasebook

*These are bilingual picture dictionaries that use each word in a full sentence in both languages.

Edited by mom2bee

Older how? An older book or a book for an older audience?

Sounds like they would both benefit from a Spanish Learning to Read book like Nacho or something similar. I have answered several questions on readers recently for ReadingMama.

Thanks!

What are your kids oral/conversational Spanish like? Can they understand fluently spoken Spanish? Do they speak?

I would describe them as nearly proficient? Maybe?

They aren't monolingual but I highly recommend the following to English dominant families who are serious about Spanish Language Acquisition.

Kids Stuff Spanish

Spanish for Beginners (A. Wilkes, The new version has a CD)

Berlitz Kids Spanish: Adventures with Nicholas trilogy

Play and Learn Spanish

Berlitz Kids Spanish Picture dictionary*

Just Look n Learn Spanish Picture Dictionary*

Kids Can Press Spanish & English Phrasebook

*These are bilingual picture dictionaries that use each word in a full sentence in both languages.

Thanks again!

That reminds me of this one: https://www.amazon.com/El-gran-diccionario-Clifford-Spanish/dp/0545314348/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1500862999&sr=1-1&keywords=clifford+diccionario

I don't own any of these, though. I have an old elementary student Spanish dictionary, but there are very few pictures.

• Like 1

Oh, that is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO intimidating.

Why? She's only 6. And it will be a bit of work to make sure she actually speaks Spanish, lol! Jk. I told her, and she was like, "I need to practice what I want to say!" So, you'll eventually have to let my kid talk to your kids. :D

• Like 1

Why? She's only 6. And it will be a bit of work to make sure she actually speaks Spanish, lol! Jk. I told her, and she was like, "I need to practice what I want to say!" So, you'll eventually have to let my kid talk to your kids. :D

John doesn't like to perform. It's a total thing. The neighbor comes by and they're Spanglishing it up, but some adult say's hola expecting a decent response and he just giggles.  :glare:

• Like 1