Menu

vent - salespeople

Emba

Let me say first off, I do not hate all salespeople.  They can be helpful, they can be useful, especially when I'm in a store shopping for something I actually want to buy.

But...today I made the acquaintance of the Southwest Something or other salesmen, the European "interns" who go around selling...what is it, some kind learning related books, lists of topics to cover or whatever it is.  I had read about them on the boards and snorted, thinking, they won't be coming HERE, because I live in a rural area that is not densely populated.  But apparently we aren't far enough into the boonies.

So we were expecting some neighbors to come and pick my kids up to take them to vacation Bible school, and I'm rushing them around to put on decent clothes and get some cleaning done, and I'm on a stool cleaning the microwave when the kids yell "The neighbors are here!" and then the doorbell rings.  So I thought they had been waiting awhile, because they've never rung the bell before, just waited in the car until the kids run out, because it doesn't take long.  They're very excited to go and they are always watching for them to drive up.

I yell "Come in" but luckily got to the door before anyone did, because it wasn't the neighbors and I don't let strange men walk into my living room.  But it took me a minute to process that these were not who we were expecting.  Before I could, all three kids pour out behind me to gawk.  Which I hate.  If there are strangers at the door, I want my kids inside.

Then the guy starts the spiel, and my brain caught up and I thought, "Oh, it's those guys."  So I cut the guy off and said "I realized I do know who you are, and we aren't interested in what you're selling."

At which he gets all fake taken aback and says "Have I said something wrong," and I'm just like no, but there's no point in you telling me all about it, we're not interested and you're wasting your time and mine. 

And he still tried a couple of more times to get me to listen to the spiel and finally left.

And I hate that.  I feel like his line about "Have I said something wrong" was totally a line, not genuine, and even if I was short with him, he showed up uninvited at my door.  I have a perfect right not to be happy that strangers are interrupting my day to sell me things I haven't asked for and don't want.

PLus, it is a huge pet peeve of mine, salespeople not taking no for an answer.  I do in fact know what I want and don't want.  Not only will arguing with me not change my mind, it makes me more stubborn and erases any tiny spark of interest that may have been there.

We have lived here (well, not in this actuall house but one two miles down the road, still very much in the area) for ten years and I can count the salesmen that have showed up at the door on one hand.  Only one has not left me disgruntled and irked, because he gave me his card and left when I told him I wasn't interested.  He was quite polite and charming.  Everyone cannot be charming, but they can be polite.

Rant over. I feel better now. :)

Edited by emba56
  • Like 2

That would annoy me too. I have a terrible time with payment companies wanted to change our payment systems for the restaurant. UMMMM NOOOOO. We did the research, we have the best company for us. No! But they call constantly and right during lunch rush too, tying up the phone for to go orders. 

• Like 1

I had a guy come by trying to sell me his insect spraying service. He was very aggressive and pointing out the webs no-one had swept off that week. I finally told him I liked the spiders on my porch, they eat the other bugs and keep them out of my house. He kept going with his "your neighbors over here this and your neighbors over here that". I then told him that all the bugs are important to the food web and I wasn't going to pay him to spray chemicals all over my yard. He did finally leave but he had this look that told me he thought I was insane. I don't think he'll come back next time he's "in the neighborhood".

• Like 3

One of those earning-money-for-school foreign "students" came to our door. He was polite enough, except he wouldn't take no for an answer. I ended up just going back into the house and closing the door while he was still talking, after he kept talking after my first two polite-yet-firm nos.

• Like 1

sales people who are selling little wanted items at inflated prices are trained to "not take no for an answer". .. .you do that by saying "no thanks" and shut the door.

he may or may not have been sincere in his question of "have I offended you?"... the answer really doesn't matter.  the point is - he's a door-to-door salesman, and you're not interested and you want him to leave.

• Like 1

One of those earning-money-for-school foreign "students" came to our door. He was polite enough, except he wouldn't take no for an answer. I ended up just going back into the house and closing the door while he was still talking, after he kept talking after my first two polite-yet-firm nos.

This is pretty much my thought. If I say clearly No twice and they continue to try to push and sell, I am not being rude to hang up/disengage even while the person is still talking.

• Like 1