Menu

finding clothes to wear for an event...sigh

ktgrok

I lost a bunch of weight after bariatric surgery. Then got pregnant, and gained 30 pounds. Then lost most of that. But not all. And now have that loose jiggly belly area that looks terrible in pants that fit. I need to retry the pants while wearing spanx. But generally, I'm just annoyed, lol. 

I'm going to a major conference next week, lots of people are posting about how fun it is to pack fun clothes to wear, fashion this, clothes that, and I'm just trying not to look dumb or frumpy. Sigh. 

Do you like the tunics that are popular now?

Because they cover up jiggly bellies pretty well, I think.

And if you wear them over leggings, then they look like 'big over small', which is a nice balanced flattering look on a lot of people.   Black leggings from Porto or Zella *are* pants, too--they reliably don't look like heavy tights.

• Like 4

When I feel that way in hot weather I try very hard to find loose sundresses with a defined waist, and wear them over a very good bra.  The hem should be wider than the (loose) waist.  That way even when tummy is bloated I look like I have a waist, without having to do something uncomfortable like put on Spanx.  I also pull my hair half up and wear dangly earrings - apparently 2" or so is the most flattering. And pretty sandals.

The good news is, this is probably about the time the sundresses go on sale.

• Like 5

Do you like the tunics that are popular now?

Because they cover up jiggly bellies pretty well, I think.

And if you wear them over leggings, then they look like 'big over small', which is a nice balanced flattering look on a lot of people.   Black leggings from Porto or Zella *are* pants, too--they reliably don't look like heavy tights.

I'm so short that in anything that loose I look as wide as I am tall. Cubical. 

When I feel that way in hot weather I try very hard to find loose sundresses with a defined waist, and wear them over a very good bra.  The hem should be wider than the (loose) waist.  That way even when tummy is bloated I look like I have a waist, without having to do something uncomfortable like put on Spanx.  I also pull my hair half up and wear dangly earrings - apparently 2" or so is the most flattering. And pretty sandals.

The good news is, this is probably about the time the sundresses go on sale.

Dress is business casual, so not sure a sundress is the way to go. 

OH!

Have you made the wonderful discovery of Vikki Vi dresses?

Here is one:  http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/vikki-vi-sleeveless-shift-dress-plus-size/4044196?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=BLACK

I have it in black.

It goes with EVERYTHING.  High spiky heels, flats, flip flops.  

Dress it up or down with scarves, shoes, jewelry, and jackets.

The fabric is heavy but not hot, so it drapes beautifully.  And it's a very skimming cut but it doesn't constrict your stomach.

This is my workhorse go to thing to wear now.  

With fit flops and a flowy yellow scarf it's a beach dress.

With black pumps or dressy flats and a white jacket it's a business dress.

With flat black water shoes and a jeans jacket it's a funky ensemble.

With gold jewelry, a white silk stole, and dressy shoes it's evening wear.

And (drum roll, please) it's washable, and if you hang it to dry it's dry overnight.  

Best thing ever.

• Like 3

I'm so short that in anything that loose I look as wide as I am tall. Cubical. 

I am fairly short myself.

I have to pick the tunics very carefully to avoid the communist China work uniform cube look.

I find that the ones that work best have just a tiny bit of waist shaping but still skim, and are a couple of inches longer in the back than in the front.  Also, the leggings have to be very form fitting--not loose at all--or the 'thinner on the bottom' effect is utterly lost.

I wish I could find pictures to show you, but it has been over a year since I bought any of these, and the ones I have are no longer available in stores.  

I go to Nordstroms' Encore department, and typically try on about 8 items for every one that I end up buying.  It is a bunch of work, but it's doable.  PSA  Encore departments vary a lot from store to store.  Some don't have much of a selection, but others are quite extensive.

I should add that I'm very grateful that I am the size I am...I'm actually fitting into size 12 pants but they are just a bit too tight in the belly area to really look good. And I'm betting that the size 14s are going to be a bit too loose. But hey, that's better than a few years ago when the size 20/22 was tight! So really, I shouldn't complain. It's just being between sizes I think that is a pain. Plus the postpartum belly/loose skin apron from losing weigh/etc makes clothes shopping a bit harder. I normally live in yoga pants and a tank top :)

• Like 1

ok, i'm off to shower and then try target. Will go to more stores tomorrow, but think maybe I can find some slacks there. And a sweater to wear over things. 

Oh, and I got my brows waxed yesterday, and today realized they are uneven! Like...one stops way closer to my nose than the other!!!! So now I need to get THAT fixed! And get a pedicure and my nails done. Grr. And don't talk to me about makeup. 

Guys have it so easy!

• Like 1

ok, i'm off to shower and then try target. Will go to more stores tomorrow, but think maybe I can find some slacks there. And a sweater to wear over things. 

Oh, and I got my brows waxed yesterday, and today realized they are uneven! Like...one stops way closer to my nose than the other!!!! So now I need to get THAT fixed! And get a pedicure and my nails done. Grr. And don't talk to me about makeup. 

Guys have it so easy!

See, I'm like this, too.

I hate to have to shop for clothes.

Although I enjoy a pedicare, I don't feel pampered when I have one.  I feel like, darn, I have to fit that dead time into my schedule.

I had a roommate who spent every single Saturday, all day, on beauty stuff.  Manicure, pedicure, some kind of hair thing, facial.  I felt like she was wasting a big chunk of her young life, but she enjoyed it.  I find that inconceivable.

OH!

Have you made the wonderful discovery of Vikki Vi dresses?

Here is one:  http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/vikki-vi-sleeveless-shift-dress-plus-size/4044196?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=BLACK

I have it in black.

It goes with EVERYTHING.  High spiky heels, flats, flip flops.  

Dress it up or down with scarves, shoes, jewelry, and jackets.

Best thing ever.

And it's sleeveless! LOL. Sorry, I just couldn't resist considering the recent thread about sleeveless dresses/tops in Congress. It is a lovely basic black dress btw.

• Like 2

I should add that I'm very grateful that I am the size I am...I'm actually fitting into size 12 pants but they are just a bit too tight in the belly area to really look good. And I'm betting that the size 14s are going to be a bit too loose. But hey, that's better than a few years ago when the size 20/22 was tight! So really, I shouldn't complain. It's just being between sizes I think that is a pain. Plus the postpartum belly/loose skin apron from losing weigh/etc makes clothes shopping a bit harder. I normally live in yoga pants and a tank top :)

We may be similar body types.

What about a professional dress with spanx on, an empire waist and an a-line style skirt part?

Or a top tucked in to an a-line skirt with a chunky belt and killer shoes?

Go fitted on top and loose below flowing away from the body.

If you want pants, try some with built in tummy control panels.

I have a four-month-old baby that will be at the conference with my husband, so I need to separate so I can nurse and or pump. But yes tight out of the loser on the bottom does work better for my body type. With a cardigan thrown over top perhaps.

OK, so I am at target trying on pants. I wore spanks under my clothes so I could see how the new stuff fits over the Spanx. Well I'm so not used to wearing spanks that I almost walked out of the dressing room without putting my pants back on. The boy shorts spanks felt like clothing and I figured I was already dressed.

• Like 7

OK, so I am at target trying on pants. I wore spanks under my clothes so I could see how the new stuff fits over the Spanx. Well I'm so not used to wearing spanks that I almost walked out of the dressing room without putting my pants back on. The boy shorts spanks felt like clothing and I figured I was already dressed.

ROTFLOL

I just got a job, like last week, very unexpectedly, and suddenly needed enough clothes to be able to be in an office for 5 days in a row, wearing business casual clothes.  I had one pair of nicer black skinny jeans and everything else I had was jeans or mom-capri's. In the last 10 days I have tried on nicer pants everywhere, and my favorites are some nice pull on black pants at Sam's club.  Are you a member there?  They are like yoga pants, but with a nice dress-pants finish, high waisted to control some of those wobbly bits, and they look great with heels or flats. I can't find them online at Sam's, the tag says Rafaella Comfort.  This is similar from Amazon, mine have the little seam down the front, but not the zip pockets.  The ankle length is normal pant length for me - I'm short. I did not have to hem them, though. They sort of skim my legs and look really slimming, they are not super tight, but they are slim.

As a slightly chubby shorty, I have to be careful what I wear or I look really boxy.  I like the uniform of ankle length black pants, dressy colored tank (I bought two of these in white and blue, the length is great, down over my rear), with a short sleeved cardigan or jacket.  It is hot here, but my new office is freezing cold, so I like the over layer, plus it just looks a little more formal.  The business/yoga pants that I bought have some structure, but I feel most comfortable if I'm wearing a long shirt covering my rear, as there are not back pockets.

I also bought these pants in white - they are more casual but look nice with a cute top, I'm wearing them now and they are comfortable but still look nice.  The waistband is high and seems to have some control top thing going on.  I'd never ever tuck in my shirt, but these pants have back pockets, so I am okay to wear a shorter shirt than I would with the pants mentioned above.  

I went to Target in my search for dressy pants/tops and really found nothing.  I bought a pair of grey pants that were okay, but when I put them on at home I decided I hated them, so I took them back.  I did find one little sleeveless polka dot top with a cute little collar that I didn't return... But otherwise, I was totally disappointed by Target.  I had better luck at JC Penny's and Sams, which sounds kind of crazy!!

Good look at your conference!!

ps - do tell what you find, I'm still searching!!

Edited by wendy not in HI

ugh, the two paris of pants I bought aren't the same! The coral ones fit, but i don't have a top for them. The white ones I have a great coral top for, but are a bit snug. It doesn't show, as the top is flowy around the waist, but may be uncomfortable. UGH. 

ugh, the two paris of pants I bought aren't the same! The coral ones fit, but i don't have a top for them. The white ones I have a great coral top for, but are a bit snug. It doesn't show, as the top is flowy around the waist, but may be uncomfortable. UGH.

Oh I HATE it when that happens.

Ok, so the Kohl's website says that they have the pants I like in black at the local store. I didn't see them, but I could have missed them. I ordered online and they say I can pick them up in store tomorrow. If that works out I'll be happy. I also have a Sam's literally 4 minutes from my house so I'll check there too. I may exchange a shirt I got today for one in a different color as well. 

And have no idea how I'm going to pull off formal wear and be able to nurse without getting naked. 

Oh, in good news, I now have stuff I can wear to church :)  I'd been wearing the same thing over and over to avoid shopping. And with the baby's baptism on Sunday, it will be nice to have a new outfit to wear to it. 

But dear lord, i really really really hate shopping. I came home feeling like I'd been mugged. I literally was shaking. Partly because I skipped dinner and had an early lunch, but partly just the stress of shopping. I've been known to get nauseas before! 

• Like 2

Also...what top DOES one wear with coral pants, lol? I should not be allo

wed to shop without a real grown up with me.

A nice solid black or white blouse would look great with coral pants. I find black more forgiving towards my midsection. If the pants are fitted go for flowy shirts. If the pants are flowy pick a more fitted top like a wrap top or something with a little shape to it.

You could also do a neutral tank with a blazer or sweater with the coral pants.

Why can I help you yet still look like a hot mess myself? Sigh...I have no time to take care of my fashion needs. I am trying stitch fix next month in a desperate attempt to do something for myself. Shopping is totally exhausting. I recommend coffee. Unless it is swimsuit shopping and then I personally recommend 2 stiff drinks somewhere within walking distance to the store 1 hour prior to the dressing room experience.

Edited by CaliforniaDreaming
  • Like 2

The dresses are fine.  As long as the shoulder straps are at least 2" wide and the dress isn't made of cotton jersey, any sundress should do too. You don't want what's literally a beach cover up, but most sundresses in my closet would qualify for business casual too.

Any solid dark or neutral color will work with coral pants.  I agree navy or chambray might look chic.

Another option is a khaki pencil skirt with any colored top.  Navy is always chic.

• Like 1

Thanks all. I got a few more tops today at Walmart of all places. They had quite a few. I haven't tried them on yet (had the baby with me and no seat to set her down in so couldn't try things on) but will tomorrow and will return what doesn't work. Still need one formal outfit and at least one more pair of pants, probably two. 

Dress Barn has great pants for slimming/ holding in belly fat. They're called Secret Agent and come in many styles and sizes.

I just pulled their website up and those look awesome! And come in petite sizes! They also have some cute tops. I think I'll go there either tomorrow or monday. And they are in a plaza with a bunch of other stores, including shoe stores. 

• Like 1

I just pulled their website up and those look awesome! And come in petite sizes! They also have some cute tops. I think I'll go there either tomorrow or monday. And they are in a plaza with a bunch of other stores, including shoe stores. 

I don't know if they still are or not.....but DB used to be really strict about returns.  It is hard to make outfits when you can't buy/return items that don't work out, If you are thinking about pairing some things with items you already bought, you may need to take them with you and try them on there as a whole outfit.  Also keep an eye out for washing instructions in their items...they aren't always machine washable. 

I feel you.  Weight gain here due to my Hashimotos going nuts since I hit perimenopause.  It's up it's down and I am so frustrated because over the last year I had lost 20 lbs and now it's all back.

I needed a mother of the bride dress.  What a nightmare.  Thank God for Amazon Prime and returns!!!  I did finally find one I um not unhappy with but man, no fun!