Menu

Benefits of Honors College

Please excuse my ignorance on these college things but what are the advantages to enrolling in a college's honor college? DD is going to a scholar's day for the State U honors college on Monday and I'd like to have a clearer understanding of it.

It depends on the college/university.  Sometimes Honors students have first shot at registration or housing, specialized housing, living/learning communities, special seminars, social activities, special research programs/scholarships, scholarships/merit aid, etc.  You need to look at each Honors program, what it offers and what it requires (not just for entry but on a continuing basis), to decide if it is a good fit for your student. Keep in mind that entry to the Honors College can have one set of requirements for first year students and another for students in other years.

• Like 8

FYI, many universities require admission to honors college in order to be considered for competitive merit scholarships as well as Stamps Foundation scholar awards. 

What are Stamps Foundation awards? Where can I learn about them? Thanks!

• Like 1

New to me too.  I found this

http://www.stampsfoundation.org/about/

and this was in there somewhere on the other link shared

http://publicuniversityhonors.com/2017/06/10/stamps-scholarships-are-only-for-certain-colleges-and-they-are-not-need-based/

in terms of honor colleges/programs overall, my dd ended up not going that route at her college.  She was eligible for the "llc" (learning living community) dorm in other ways (engineering).  But due to space, she ended up on the honors floors instead of engineering floor one year.  She still went to the field trips/events for both. She ended up being in honor societies and all of that.  She doesn't feel she's getting less of education by not having "honors section", but she's at a smaller private school.  She hasn't been shut out of registration (small school. her classes in engineering seem available), etc. And she ended up in professional organizations and honor societies within that structure.  maybe she'll regret it if she wants phd in her field or something.    I know that's not the experience common on here. Just sharing our lives. Not making general advice.

• Like 2

It varies among colleges, but at my university, Honors College students got a scholarship, special living facilities (one of the nicest dorms on campus), priority registration (even before seniors, so even for gen ed classes, I got to pick my preferred times), research and study opportunities, honors sections and honors classes (which often meant a smaller class than the regular section, with top level professors), and while the Honors College kids weren't snobbish for the most part, occasionally, I got the feeling that people were willing to do favors or make exceptions because I was an Honors College student, especially for freshmen or sophomores.  Granted, it's been 19 years since I graduated, and I know things have changed somewhat, but from looking at their site, it's still pretty similar.

In return, we wrote a senior thesis and had to take a certain number of honors credits each year (which could be a senior level class as a freshman or sophomore, or a graduate level class as a junior or senior, an honors class, an honors section, an honors option for a regular class, or thesis research/writing credits).  Totally not onerous at all, even while working part time and planning a wedding long distance.  I found that professors were very happy to be advisers or to work with me to meet the honors requirements.  I think you really need to ask what the requirements and rewards are at each college.

• Like 1

I'm sorry . I just saw this.  The way it works is that each school that offers it chooses who to put forward to interview.  I know first hand that Ohio State chooses from their Eminence scholars. The process is entirely within the purview of each university and, I imagine, is subjective based on essays demonstrating certain characteristics, chief among which is leadership. Essays and the type of person each school is looking for is key.  Academic qualificiations are an assumed threshold.  It's an amazing opportunity with national recognition and worth pursuing. 

Edited by Gratia271
  • Like 1

One of my college boys is in the Honors College at his large university.  It means smaller classes, more access to professors, a living learning community with like-minded students, early class registration (*this is a BIG DEAL at large universities where tens of thousands are trying to register for classes*), access to interesting topic classes that aren't open to everyone, and a special designation upon graduation.