Menu

MM Geometry Chapters

Paige

I'm finishing up MM Grade 7 with my kids and have pushed my least favorite chapter every year (Geometry) to the end. Anyone else hate MM's geometry units? I'm wondering how much is actually necessary and does anyone skip big portions? We've already skipped 2 lessons on constructions- one listed as optional and one not. I hate constructions and so does everyone here. And our compasses are broken. We've done the sections in prior years.

I'm looking through and wanting to be DONE with math for the year and thinking, do we really need to suffer through this? What's the hive think- suck it up b/c it's really good for them, or skip some sections b/c it's overkill for preAlgebra or any non-geometry focused math course? 

We also dislike MM's Geometry sections, push them to the end of the year, and end up skipping much of them. I don't feel like there have been any severe long-term consequences - there are a finite number of things you need to know before your high school Geometry class, and they really don't take too long to teach or learn.  Skipping the section will affect their scores on any end of year standardized testing you do, but other than that, I think that you can cover the concepts with different material, at a different time, and it will be ok.  My dd does Dreambox & Khan Academy as supplements, and she's enjoyed the geometry components of both. I don't think doing MM's chapters is a hill to die on.

We skip the geometry chapters in MM too.  My son finished through the old MM6 and I have him doing Hands-on Geometry (free!) to cover what I think he needs to be familiar with before high school.  I don't know that it would work if you hate constructions though.

It's kind of funny that these conversations have happened several times over the last few years. We skipped MM geometry as well and used MEP, http://www.cimt.org.uk/projects/mepres/book7/book7.htm, but I mainly used the geometry sections in AOPS Pre-algebra to make sure that I didn't unintentionally skip too much. DD did the problems, but it wasn't a topic that I emphasized too much given that she would have to do a full year of geometry eventually.

• Like 1

It's kind of funny that these conversations have happened several times over the last few years. We skipped MM geometry as well and used MEP, http://www.cimt.org.uk/projects/mepres/book7/book7.htm, but I mainly used the geometry sections in AOPS Pre-algebra to make sure that I didn't unintentionally skip too much. DD did the problems, but it wasn't a topic that I emphasized too much given that she would have to do a full year of geometry eventually.

We are working through the AOPS Pre-A geometry chapters too.

Ok, so has anyone mentioned this to the author? I was about to but decided to ask first, so we don't overwhelm her with this feedback.

No. I'm not really sure why I hate them so much either, so my feedback may not be super helpful to her. I definitely think it's disruptive where she places it, but that's easy enough to adjust at home. The rest...I'm not sure. Maybe it's that they spend a lot of time on topics I don't think are useful in lower grades. Geometry is actually my favorite math subject, so it's unusual for me to hate MM's chapter so much every year. 

Ok, so I emailed her a link to the thread. She is interested in knowing more about the experiences we've had. Here is her response:

Yes, I am actually interested in possibly improving the geometry lessons. Could you explain to me from your personal experience if your daughter learned anything at all... 

For example, did she learn how to measure angles?

Or to tell if a triangle is acute/obtuse/right?

Was there any type of exercise that she struggled with the most?

Were there too many exercises in your opinion? If so, did you tell her to NOT do them all?

Etc. any feedback would be helpful. 

I'm thinking we could all answer the questions by email... the subject of the email is Re: Contact form: Question, and the email address to use is mathmammothsupport@gmail.com. These questions are directed towards my child, who was doing the 4th grade level, so just switch up the questions as needed.

:)

Anabel

I have used several topic downloads from MM and loved them and I bought the full 6th grade for next year. If we end up struggling, what else could we use? My DD is not mathy at all so this concerns me. My DS would probably be fine with any geometry. FWIW, we always hated Singapore's geometry as well.