Menu

Your mother wears army boots (or combat boots)

gaillardia

(s/o from where to buy combat boots for your daughter...)

What I thought it meant: that your mom was like a ...battle axe, a rough woman, a hard woman, a task master, somebody who didn't take crap from nobody.

What I just read it meant: that your mother was a prostitute (because prostitutes followed the WWII Army guys around wearing combat boots).

What it meant to Barbara Eden in similar titled movie: that she, as a widow, was going in the Army to be near her son.

Really, only if you're a battle axe will you enjoy my point of view, which probably means you're an old woman like me.  :lol:  :coolgleamA:  :glare:

So, what have you found out didn't mean what you thought it meant or had multiple meanings?

• Like 3

It was sunny and raining the other day and DH says "the devil beats his wife". Wut?? Apparently that is what some people call that strange, sunny rain.

• Like 2

It was sunny and raining the other day and DH says "the devil beats his wife". Wut?? Apparently that is what some people call that strange, sunny rain.

Oh wow I forgot. My Mamaw used to say something similar. She said the devil is beating the piss out of his wife. She had a really interesting way to say things.

(s/o from where to buy combat boots for your daughter...)

What I thought it meant: that your mom was like a ...battle axe, a rough woman, a hard woman, a task master, somebody who didn't take crap from nobody.

What I just read it meant: that your mother was a prostitute (because prostitutes followed the WWII Army guys around wearing combat boots).

What it meant to Barbara Eden in similar titled movie: that she, as a widow, was going in the Army to be near her son.

Really, only if you're a battle axe will you enjoy my point of view, which probably means you're an old woman like me.  :lol:  :coolgleamA:  :glare:

So, what have you found out didn't mean what you thought it meant or had multiple meanings?

Oh my! I never knew that either! I always wondered why in the world it was supposed to be such a horrible insult, lol.

Yep. We say that around here too. 

• Like 1

I didn't know that about the combat boots. I remember boys in one of my classes in junior high using this saying as a taunt to each other. I also thought that they were saying that the other kid's mom was butch. I have never heard the term camel toe either. I have heard the phrase about the devil beating his wife not because I use it but because the local weatherman explained the phrase.

• Like 1

I remember many years ago not knowing what camel toe meant and was too embarrassed to admit it. This girl was looking at a magazine with me and said something about the model. I remember looking at the model's feet and having no idea what I was supposed to be noticing haha

I don't think I would have known either and had to look it up. I was picturing tight tan stretchy pants and carmel toes. ? But that is just dumb, camel toe. 

The song lyrics we mess up in our heads as kids (or adults) are dumb as well. Then to find out, that the words I had been singing all those years really were those words, I didn't have it wrong, but only the songwriter knows what the heck it meant. Again, dumb, or insulting.

I didn't know that about the combat boots either. Like the op, I just thought it meant she was tough, mean, and maybe somewhat masculine. 

I also never heard that saying about the devil when it's sunny and raining. Around here we call it liquid sunshine and it's not at all strange. It's common here in The Sunshine State. :)

Camel toe is a fairy recent phrase is it not? I can totally get not understanding the meaning of a phrase that wasn't around when one was younger. Or had a different meaning. When and where I grew up hooking up merely meant getting together/meeting up. Ds had to educate me because I used it "inappropriately" a few times around his friends (ex. - "Why don't you guys try to hook up with so and so for the concert?")

• Like 2

I didn't know that about the combat boots either. Like the op, I just thought it meant she was tough, mean, and maybe somewhat masculine. 

I also never heard that saying about the devil when it's sunny and raining. Around here we call it liquid sunshine and it's not at all strange. It's common here in The Sunshine State. :)

Camel toe is a fairy recent phrase is it not? I can totally get not understanding the meaning of a phrase that wasn't around when one was younger. Or had a different meaning. When and where I grew up hooking up merely meant getting together/meeting up. Ds had to educate me because I used it "inappropriately" a few times around his friends (ex. - "Why don't you guys try to hook up with so and so for the concert?")

You're funny.

Wow, I did not know that new one, of course. That's dumb. Right, it used to mean to get together, hang out, get a cup of Joe.

Can you imagine the kids hearing grandparents say, "We should hook up sometime!" Right in the grocery store parking lot, in front of the children. BAHA.

• Like 1

I'm no help. All it means to me is that my own shoes are uncomfortable or I don't remember where I put them and if they are in my son's closet, he obviously doesn't need them right now because he wouldn't have left them there in the first place if he did.

Did I do something wrong? Could I go to jail for it if the wrong person sees this?

:lol: :rofl:

(if you don't get joke, look at signature)

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Just had to say I never expected to see a "Your Mamma" thread on the Hive. ;) My dh will be impressed.

If you really want to impress him, tell him about the poster who thought this was the safest and least controversial thread on the whole chat board.

:rofl: :rofl:

But I digress. I genuinely am no help as far as what it actually means in 2017ese because both of my sons are that type that wouldn't let the bully get past "Yo mama....." before...well....

Let's just politely say that's why sometimes even well brought up children who love their parents and want to do the right thing sometimes lose their tempers so badly that they need to be picked up from the police station with no warning whatsoever and why it's always a good idea to keep some of your savings set aside in case of unexpected emergencies.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by Guest