Menu

Horror story--teens film a man drown, do nothing

Moxie

There is very little respect for life in this country.

Horrible. :(

I wouldn't go that far or this wouldn't be a shocking story. I do think there segments of the population that have issues.

• Like 8

How would you ever get past your kid doing that?

How did more than one person just watch? And not report it? And share the video?

Beats me. And even if they weren't thinking rationally at the time, posting the video is just plain stupid. Unfortunately, it's looking like they won't even be charged with anything? It's like, maybe they should make laws where, if you easily and safely can do so, you should call 911.

I knew I should not have read that article. I feel sick. What horrible human beings.

Unfortunately, bystanders videoing a tragedy rather than calling for help and/or helping yourself has become more and more the norm.

also happened in this country today.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4716576/Man-boy-rescued-fiery-crash-southern-Illinois.html

please note the passersby who were helping, at risk to themselves.

Oh, absolutely. There are many wonderful, heroic, self-sacrificing individuals here and elsewhere.

I was thinking more of national policies towards those in other countries, towards refugees, and towards the unborn, as well as the treatment of minorities by some in law enforcement. Add hazing and sexual violence on college campuses, factory farming, elder abuse, and other issues, and I am still confident in saying there is a general lack of respect for life here.  :(

• Like 1

I cannot stomach saying they don't have to help.

I would never tell my kids that.

Yes. They have to help. Call 911, but that's not enough.

Yes. We have to get off our spectator asses and do something more than watch and be do nothing's.

It might not be illegal not to help, but that's because being a half way decent human shouldn't have to be something we legally mandate.

• Like 10

Oh, absolutely. There are many wonderful, heroic, self-sacrificing individuals here and elsewhere.

I was thinking more of national policies towards those in other countries, towards refugees, and towards the unborn, as well as the treatment of minorities by some in law enforcement. Add hazing and sexual violence on college campuses, factory farming, elder abuse, and other issues, and I am still confident in saying there is a general lack of respect for life here. :(

Not to mention all the cases of rape, brutality and other things being livesteamed and watched by thousands on FaceBook etc and not reporting it. There are more sick, voyeuristic people around than most of us care to admit.

So in Florida you can shoot someone that you initiate a confrontation with because you sorta-kinda feel threatened by them, but there's no legal requirement to even call 911 if you see someone drowning?  Yeah, totally makes sense.  :crying:

There should be a law that if someone's life is in danger that at a minimum you call for assistance if you are able and have the means to do so.  

• Like 5

If these were my kids I would feel I failed as a parent. Disgusting. Our media fueled world and exposing kids to realistic adult content before being mature enough has led to a numbing out of many of our young people. This makes me feel ill.

• Like 2

my brother dealt and grew - I'm quite aware of what drugs do.

It came across as though you were blaming the pot. I dont see the connection between their depravity and pot. I know more people that smoke than don't. All of which would be the first to jump in and try to save him, high or not.

• Like 2

Not only that, but to post it on social media afterward like they did something cool instead of burying the evidence that they're horrible human beings.

Edited by Word Nerd
  • Like 2

The article on cnn explains better on why they aren't charged with anything and the laws of Florida need to change. 

I can't think of any state that has a law requiring a passerby to assist.  Most states have some form of good samaritan law that will limit the passerby's , particularly  a doctor's, liability for negligence in rendering assistance in such situations. 

• Like 1

I can't think of any state that has a law requiring a passerby to assist.  Most states have some form of good samaritan law that will limit the passerby's , particularly  a doctor's, liability for negligence in rendering assistance in such situations. 

There should not be a requirement to assist.  Notifying the proper authorities is another matter.  If someone has the capability, they should do so.  I would have zero problem with a law like that.

• Like 4

Not to mention all the cases of rape, brutality and other things being livesteamed and watched by thousands on FaceBook etc and not reporting it. There are more sick, voyeuristic people around than most of us care to admit.

there are also good people out there helping people.  unfortunately- that doesn't nearly the press.

It came across as though you were blaming the pot. I dont see the connection between their depravity and pot. I know more people that smoke than don't. All of which would be the first to jump in and try to save him, high or not.

when you've got teens who have enough issues they are turning to drugs - the drugs do exacerbate their issues.

I'd wager those you know are adults.

my brother was doing this as a teen (so we lived in the same house) -he became an utter sob.  his friends. . . . . some were jerks - some were complete scum.

my bil was always stoned until he finally cleaned up his act.

this doesn't apply to the teens (self-centered little twerps) - but adults do hesitate because there are so many cases of "good Samaritans" acting in good faith - and getting sued because they weren't perfect.

that's why they enacted good samaritan laws  in the first place.

Of course I would be deeply ashamed if one of my children did such a thing. I would feel like a failure as a parent. But the whole, village to raise a child thing is real, and kids don't live in a vacuum and they interact with the world, at school, in the community, online, and they may become people you didn't raise them to be even if the young person is neurotypical in every way. 

This is just awful, I feel so sad for the young people involved who think the suffering of others is funny. They don't even know they are broken. Probably broken beyond repair, but maybe not, I hope. 

I may be way off here but I'm just wondering if everything in life seems like a video game to some people. Kind of like not being fully in touch with reality because of virtual reality.

I was wondering the same thing.  I have  worried  about this with my kids who are growing up in a techie home.  

• Like 1

My thoughts exactly, only regarding movies...if someone can watch things like this happening regularly in movies, which seem to feature more and more gratuitous or random violence, seems likely that on some level many may start believing that is reality and ok to imitate

• Like 2

I may be way off here but I'm just wondering if everything in life seems like a video game to some people. Kind of like not being fully in touch with reality because of virtual reality.

That's the first thing I thought of too--it was like they were watching a video themselves.

• Like 1

Anymore it takes a lot to shock me, but this story did.

I understand no one can be forced to help in an emergency. But just - there was pure evil in this - they didn't say something like, "Hang on dude! We're calling for help." Or they didn't toss something, or reach for a tool or branch. They laughed and called the guy a "f*****." It chills my blood. Chills my blood.

• Like 2

They don't even deserve to be called animals. There was a news article this week of a dog saving a baby deer from drowning. So, even some animals will help another animal in distress. Evil...definitely.

They don't even deserve to be called animals. There was a news article this week of a dog saving a baby deer from drowning. So, even some animals will help another animal in distress. Evil...definitely.

My husband just said he hopes they get the pants sued off them in civil court, since they were capable of calling 911, phones present, and didn't. He's about the least sue-happy person I know but we both find this just mind boggling.

The police are trying to decide if they can file misdemeanor charges, but so far it's iffy and it's the best they can do. There's a change.org petition for a law requiring people to call 911 if they witness someone's life in trouble. It would make more sense to appeal to legislatures than to sign an online petition but I suppose that's a start.

http://www.wftv.com/news/local/cocoa-police-recommend-charges-against-teens-investigators-said-taunted-recorded-drowning-man/567349950

My husband just said he hopes they get the pants sued off them in civil court, since they were capable of calling 911, phones present, and didn't. He's about the least sue-happy person I know but we both find this just mind boggling.

Without criminal charges there is no chance of a civil suit.  Even with charges, the chances are slim.