Menu

What to pair with cherries - come on in! :)

sheryl

Take a break from the serious threads and answer this -

Years ago I saw in one of my cookbooks (maybe Dr. Weil ?  and if not his book then another recipe floating in my memory) of pairing peaches and blueberries.  I think the combo was made in to a cobbler.  I've been on a peach-buying frenzy lately.  I made my first ever peach cobbler a couple of weeks ago and made another one last week.  Just a peach cobbler.

Enter the peaches and blueberries - I mixed them together with a little sugar and that is our desert.  Or, put some whipped cream on top.  Or put atop pound cake.  All good!

We love cherries.  We have tons b/c it's the season and they were on sale.  So, we always stock up.

What would you pair with cherries.  We eat them alone and yes, I'm eyeballing a cherry pie, but I'd like to pair with another fruit for a simple. quick, tasty and nutritious desert.  I'd do as above and put a little bit of sugar in and mix with water.  It thickens over time.

Ideas for a fruit to go with cherries.  Thanks!

the multi quote is working for me.

oats as in cooked oats?   oats, how?  almonds, yum.   I'm wondering if pecans would work too.   yes, twolittleboys, cherries and chocolate is a winning combo.  I'm just looking for another fruit.  nevergiveup, blackberries sound like good with cherries.

what about pear and cherries?  that sounds weird.  has anyone tried it?

Chocolate. But that's the first go-to partner for just about anything.  :drool5:

What about drying some of your harvest, and then you can use dried cherries in salads, granola, dried-fruit cookie recipes, oatmeal or other hot grain cereal in the winter?

• Like 2

Right, Lori, sounds wonderful!   Just looking for something COLD to pull out of the frig on these HOT southern days! 

Chocolate-dipped cherries, chocolate cheese cake, chocolate mousse, chocolate whipped pie -- topped with cherries, or chopped cherries folded into these COLD desserts. :)

• Like 1

Chocolate pudding.  Call the cacao a fruit.  It's good enough!

I like cherries and cherry juice on cheesecake, with a graham cracker crust.

I can't say that I've ever paired them with another fruit, but I think that honeydew melon would be good--it's SO sweet, and cherries are on the sour side of sweet fruit, so they would complement each other, maybe with a little toasted coconut mixed in for crunch and a more complex flavor.  Hmmm.  I think I want to try this!

• Like 1

Lori,  these all sound good! :)  Carrie, yes, pineapple.  That sound good.  They are not sour at all. But, that's ok, both would be good.  What a pretty color combo too! :)  Carol, ikr....cocoa, chocolate - it's all good! These are sweet cherries. I, too, was thinking of honeydew melon.  Hmm.  Sounds good. Sherry, cherry and peach -  it seems like the flavors would fight, no?  Please tell me otherwise.   LOL!  I love the idea of star fruit.  Yes, the exotic fruits.  Heather, ha! 

Cherries and bananas?  That doesn't float my boat as much as the others here.  I think I'll try pineapple, pear, honeydew, star fruit and maybe that peach again!  :) 

Carol, I've used coconut in other fruits but didn't on this one.  I usually add pecans too.  With a chunk of chocolate on the side, thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think apples, oranges or grapes would work very well. Definitely not watermelon.  Nothing too watery.

Thanks everyone. 

• Like 2

Figs!

Today I made a snack -- Triscuits recently released a fig & honey flavor cracker, which is divine all by itself. Today I topped it with diced fresh cherries, cheddar cheese and a few sprinkles of blue cheese. Melted the mixture in the microwave for 30 seconds, then used the Triscuits as a scoop to eat this. YUM.

But, since you are only looking for fruit pairings for the cherries....fig & honey. It worked very well in cracker form, so I have to assume it would be good in fruit form, too. 

Enjoy!

• Like 1

OK, Reader, that sounds good!  Would you share that recipe?   Thanks! 

really no recipe, I just diced up a few cherries, diced up a little cheddar cheese, added a tiny bit (2 spoons) of very small blue cheese crumbles, stirred it all and melted it in the microwave for 30 seconds. The Triscuits are Fig & Honey flavored, the ones I used, and I just spooned it on top of them and ate it like that. 

I would think you could do any kind of combination of the above and it would turn out nicely. 

• Like 1

idnib, yes, I like bleu cheese but don't buy it (eat at restaurants) so I'm not sure how to buy it. it sounds good though and I'll check it out.  Thanks!  :)

Barbeque Mom (may I call you BBQ)   :)   That sounds so good.  My dd made a desert for my birthday one year and it called for grilled peaches. It was sooooo good.  It was peaches and another fruit (need to research that one), grilled and it was delicious.  Thanks for the reminder!  :)   I would probably forego the liquor though.  May not be the same taste but I can make the cherry sauce easily.  :) 

• Like 1