Menu

Need help/advice with credits/transcript

1.  My daughter is taking Art Appreciation as a DE course this summer at the community college.  It's a 3 credit course.  I don't think she'll spend 120 hours on it, but she'll spend way more than 60 hours.  Can I count this as a full high school credit for fine arts?  We don't live in FL, but I saw that they only count Art Appreciation as .5 high school credit.  http://www.fldoe.org/core/fileparse.php/5421/urlt/0078394-delist.pdf    

Dd takes aerial acrobatics classes and performs a few times a year, but I really want to count that as extracurricular and not for credit if possible since she doesn't have a lot of other extracurriculars.  

2.  When dd was in 8th grade, she became obsessed with learning Spanish and spent an enormous amount of time on it.  She taught herself all of the Spanish grammar and could write, listen, and read Spanish very well on her own.  She wanted speaking practice, so we enrolled her at the community college where she took four Spanish classes in a year - Spanish 1 and 2 in the summer (4 credits each) and then 3 and 4 in fall/spring (3 credits each).  She took the SAT Subject test in Spanish and scored 800.  Can I count that as four years of high school Spanish even though all of her DE classes were taken in one year?  I didn't count her 8th grade Spanish work at all for her transcript even though she spent so much time on it.  The FL credits are confusing since some of the Spanish classes count as 0.5 credit and others for a full credit.  

Thank you!  This is all so confusing.  I want to make sure it doesn't look like I'm padding her transcript and also to make sure she's taking *enough* credits.  

Edited by Erica H

You'll get differing answers to this, but this is how I would handle it.

According to some sites, a 3-credit college course equals a full-year high school course.  But, given the subject (Art Appreciation) and how it's typically handled in high school, I'd probably err on the side of caution and just count it as a .5 credit high school course.  Unless you really need it to count as a full credit.  Then I'd give her the full credit, because an argument can be made either way.

As far as the acrobatics, if she does other gym/fitness-related activities, I don't see it being a problem if you add acrobatics as being one component of gym, and list it as an extra curricular activity as well.  So when my dd was in ballet, I did list ballet as a part of her gym class -- which also included a lot of other fitness activities, and we listed it as an extra curricular activity as well because she really was putting a lot of hours into it.

I would list all four years of Spanish as one credit each.

As far as the acrobatics, if she does other gym/fitness-related activities, I don't see it being a problem if you add acrobatics as being one component of gym, and list it as an extra curricular activity as well.  So when my dd was in ballet, I did list ballet as a part of her gym class -- which also included a lot of other fitness activities, and we listed it as an extra curricular activity as well because she really was putting a lot of hours into it.

She's all set on gym, but I was hoping to count the acrobatics as a fine art because it's a performance activity.  Do you think I could do that?  And, if yes, I can still count it as extra-curricular?  

I would count Spanish 4 as credit by exam.

So, I would list the four DE classes as Spanish 1-3 and then Spanish 4 as CBE for the Spanish Subject Test?  Do you know of any transcript examples that are similar to that?  

I love homeschooling, but hate this part of it. 

I think the FL list is interesting but also off in how it credits some courses.

I have no issue with high school foreign language credit done in 8th grade. List all 4 courses with a full credit each. I have a block on my transcript with test scores including subject tests.

You can give some explanation in the school profile or counselor lenter.

I would also give a full credit for art appreciation. It is a 3 hour course for an elective. If you think she needs some more hours, spend a day at an art museum or look for a summer pops concert.

• Like 2

I think the FL list is interesting but also off in how it credits some courses.

I have no issue with high school foreign language credit done in 8th grade. List all 4 courses with a full credit each. I have a block on my transcript with test scores including subject tests.

You can give some explanation in the school profile or counselor lenter.

I would also give a full credit for art appreciation. It is a 3 hour course for an elective. If you think she needs some more hours, spend a day at an art museum or look for a summer pops concert.

I agree about the FL list.  

Great idea about adding to the art appreciation class!  She will spend much more than 60 hours on the class and probably close to 120, but not quite.