Menu

Yet another Literature thread

I hope you all can stomach one more.  I've been doing so much reading regarding how to do literature that my head is spinning.

We honestly haven't had a ton of success with any of my past literature plans.  After about a month, it usually just degrades into my DD reading an assigned book each month.  Sometimes she'll tell me about it or I will ask a few questions, but nothing that would really classify as "discussion".  I do still read aloud to her because 1) I can pick books beyond her reading level and 2) she still really likes it.  My DD is dyslexic, but has turned into a hearty reader, though she does still struggle with complicated language (ie, most classics).

Last year my grand plan was to go through TTC over the summer and discuss our books each month.  Well, let's just say I still haven't watched those DVDs.  Also, I only ever read 1 of her assigned books to discuss (yikes!)  We've tried lit anthologies in the past (BJU and K12) and neither have lasted long either.

For this year, I think I have narrowed it down to either doing:

1) Just making myself proceed with the TTC route that didn't happen last year.  It seems very daunting.

2) Picking 4 literature guides to complete while trying to do TTC with some other books or our read-alouds.  Although I really don't want all the vocabulary work that is in most of those guides because my DD loves Wordly Wise (for some reason).

3) Going with something pre-planned like LL.  I like this idea as well, but I'm not sure which level to put her in, am not wild about a few of the books, and we've already read some as well.  Would I just skip that portion???  My DD is also quite behind in her writing skills, so I worry that that part of the program might be very hard.

I'm not sure why I struggle so much with this subject when I am a voracious reader.  I'd love any insight or other suggestions.

I hope you all can stomach one more.  I've been doing so much reading regarding how to do literature that my head is spinning.

We honestly haven't had a ton of success with any of my past literature plans.  After about a month, it usually just degrades into my DD reading an assigned book each month.  Sometimes she'll tell me about it or I will ask a few questions, but nothing that would really classify as "discussion".  I do still read aloud to her because 1) I can pick books beyond her reading level and 2) she still really likes it.  My DD is dyslexic, but has turned into a hearty reader, though she does still struggle with complicated language (ie, most classics).

Last year my grand plan was to go through TTC over the summer and discuss our books each month.  Well, let's just say I still haven't watched those DVDs.  Also, I only ever read 1 of her assigned books to discuss (yikes!)  We've tried lit anthologies in the past (BJU and K12) and neither have lasted long either.

For this year, I think I have narrowed it down to either doing:

1) Just making myself proceed with the TTC route that didn't happen last year.  It seems very daunting.

2) Picking 4 literature guides to complete while trying to do TTC with some other books or our read-alouds.  Although I really don't want all the vocabulary work that is in most of those guides because my DD loves Wordly Wise (for some reason).

3) Going with something pre-planned like LL.  I like this idea as well, but I'm not sure which level to put her in, am not wild about a few of the books, and we've already read some as well.  Would I just skip that portion???  My DD is also quite behind in her writing skills, so I worry that that part of the program might be very hard.

I'm not sure why I struggle so much with this subject when I am a voracious reader.  I'd love any insight or other suggestions.

This sounds like a really good â€‹start!

I don't know much about dyslexics, so this may not be applicable. How about a KISS approach: write a page or so daily about the book you are reading or having read aloud to you (retell a portion, sumarize a portion, write in a letter form to your grandma, etc) and then write a one page essay about a deeper question on Fridays? The essay questions might be as simple tell about the most important event and its implications or how do the characters change after x event (these are both riffs off of WTM). 

I know this is simple and (frankly) I want literature units. But if you are having a hard time implementing one and you need your daughter to become a better writer, this could be a really good approach. 

​Emily

(who should listen to her own advice)

If the end result is usually your DD reading a book a month, then I think you should stick with that!  Maybe you could pick some literature guides and go through them orally with her, which would help with the discussion you feel is lacking, and it would help her to not have to write as much.  I really like Memoria Press literature guides, when done aloud.  As assigned work, they would probably be quite boring and repetitive.  But they've led to good discussion when we use them orally.  You could easily span a couple of grade levels with their selections to find some your DD is interested in reading.  This would keep her with reading full length novels (since anthologies haven't been a favorite in the past), and add a bit of discussion as well.

Good luck with your decision!

Ooh, you sound like me. Last year I decided I really should read ds's assigned literature along with him so that we could have meaningful discussions. I think I got through the first three or four... and discussions? Uh.... Yeah, he pretty much just got to write me a narration proving he actually read it and that was that!

We haven't started our new school year, but I'm already doing much better! I decided to use summer break to do his reading, instead of along with him. The key to my success this time was that I cut myself off from my own leisure reading. Nothing to tempt and lure me away from school books so I stayed focused!! 

I bought three Progeny Press literature guides as a stepping stone to doing a little more than what we've done in the past. Since we haven't actually started yet, I can't tell you how that is going. It does look like a whole lot more than I think is really necessary, so I'm thinking that I might just use the guides for oral discussion. For the remaining books, I made up a book report form that includes fields to fill in along the lines of what we've done in WWS. He won't have to write a paper or anything, just think about things like protagonist, antagonist, conflict, etc. This alone should be a challenge for him. He's my STEM kid.

We also do a read aloud. And since I am actually reading those books, we have done a little bit of discussion on those. Nothing formal or planned, just ideas that jump into my mind as we go along. But it's something. 

On 7/19/2017 at 5:07 PM, EmilyGF said:

This sounds like a really good â€‹start!

I don't know much about dyslexics, so this may not be applicable. How about a KISS approach: write a page or so daily about the book you are reading or having read aloud to you (retell a portion, sumarize a portion, write in a letter form to your grandma, etc) and then write a one page essay about a deeper question on Fridays? The essay questions might be as simple tell about the most important event and its implications or how do the characters change after x event (these are both riffs off of WTM). 

I know this is simple and (frankly) I want literature units. But if you are having a hard time implementing one and you need your daughter to become a better writer, this could be a really good approach. 

Emily (who should listen to her own advice)

Not picking on EmilyGF here; just using her post as a springboard to respond to the thread as a whole. ?

Gaah! Waaayyyy tooooo muuccchhh writing!   :eek:  Don't kill the love of reading/literature -- or just a "like" or "okay-ness" with literature -- by that much formal writing/discussion!! Even if you have a variety of types of writing assignments. Those who are starting of with "just a little informal discussion" and not with every book:  :cheers2:  Excellent way to ease into more formal literature gently, while not killing the love by too much too quick, and while allowing the analysis portions of your student's brain to continue to develop. ?

Esp. if you have a math-science-focused student, or a student with dyslexia or other LDs, or a student who is weak in reading or not that interested in reading -- absolutely start very light, do it together, do NOT discuss every book, don't "analyze" a beloved book, and do very little writing to start with -- maybe a paragraph response to one book per quarter.

It is VERY hard on a student (esp. if the student fits one of those descriptions in the previous paragraph) to be a "class of one", so that all the discussion falls on just the one student. Ideas to alleviate that:

- Try giving your student the guide to ask YOU the questions.
- Or, together, pick a few questions in advance, and each of you commit to answer those questions.
- Try expanding the size of your "group" for discussion -- include siblings, friends, or host a monthly book club with other students.
- Run with some books that are of high interest to your student, or that your student picked to do -- you can create a literature unit out of all kinds of genres, or follow an author's work, etc
- Listen to SWB's audio lecture on "What Is Literary Analysis and When, Why, and How to Teach It".
- Look over her handout for that lecture for ideas of types of questions to slowly work in to.
- Listen to Andrew Kern's audio session on "Teaching Literature without Killing the Book".

Good stuff in these past threads:

What kinds of questions do you ask your kids when reading?
When to start literature more formally?
- How do you do literature and balance/schedule writing assignments -- asking for 9th grade, but some good info in there for middle school, too
"Just reading" vs. using literature guides
Reading books without doing papers/critiques
Doing TWTM with a high school student who isn't ready for rhetoric level

And I love these past threads for seeing the kinds of discussions that high school Literature can bring about (not every book, of course! and often the very BEST conversations are the spontaneous ones in the car while driving somewhere, as the Literature your student has been reading and discussing with you triggers thoughts and discussion on topics of personal interest!):

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight -- input needed please!
Jane Eyre and boys
What's up with Wuthering Heights -- not only discussion on the book, but also on the idea of literary analysis and whether/not it is useful

Good luck to all as you start your Literature adventures -- and ENJOY the journey! Warmest regards, Lori D.
Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

Not picking on EmilyGF here; just using her post as a springboard to respond to the thread as a whole. ;)

Gaah! Waaayyyy tooooo muuccchhh writing!   :eek:  Don't kill the love of reading/literature -- or just a "like" or "okay-ness" with literature -- by that much formal writing/discussion!! Even if you have a variety of types of writing assignments. Those who are starting of with "just a little informal discussion" and not with every book:  :cheers2:  Excellent way to ease into more formal literature gently, while not killing the love by too much too quick, and while allowing the analysis portions of your student's brain to continue to develop. :)

The year my kids' writing made the biggest improvement was the year when we did something like this (except I didn't require all the writing from lit - I think the book they wrote about varied each day). It was pretty shocking to me because it was so simple but I saw so much growth. 

Emily