Menu

Need help with 8th grade science and history

My 8th grader MIGHT go back to public school for high school. He says he does not want to, so at this point, it is not highly likely. But it is still possible. 

For home schooling, our plan was to continue the sequence in history, we are on 3rd year now. And for science, we are doing RS4Kids geology and then astronomy. We had planned to go on to the RS4Kids physics and chemistry to round out the year, but now that feels wasteful due to the fact that next year, for 9th grade, he will be doing Clover Creek physics. 

IF he goes to public school, either one does biology in 9th grade. He has never had life science, so it might make sense to add in life science so he does not go in to biology completely cold. Doing basic chemistry might be good because I think that is useful in biology. 

We could do two science classes this year. Or we could do science as an accelerated course, doing one year in the fall and one year in the spring.

As far as the history goes, the regular public school does US history this year, so if he went to the regular public school, doing geography or US history or even continuing what we are doing is fine I guess. Then they do world geography in 9th grade. However, they do allow for the AP version as some kids took the preAP version in middle school, in which case, having geography would be good. However, he still hasn't had a ton of US history nor have we finished the world history sequence. HOWEVER, on the world history, we were listening to books on tape and then reading some literature books. IF he went to the charter school, which is a classical school, they also do US history in 8th grade, but then never do geography. They do world history over 9th and 10th grade as a two parter.  I FEEL like we need to get in the rest of world history, as well as US history, as well as geography. 

Suggestions?

I'm somewhat in the same boat as you.  This is my DD's 8th grade year and there is the possibility of sending her to the private high school that DS goes to next year.  It's still undecided at this point.

Honestly, I'm not sure I would modify what you are already doing for 8th grade.  Around here, high school seems to be a pretty fresh start for history.  Most schools start with Geography for 9th grade and move on to World or US History from there.  Coming from a homeschool setting, you may still be able to do AP if wanted depending on your DS's interest and study skill level.  For science, around here is it either Earth Science for average students or Biology for honors/AP students in 9th grade.  I know there isn't usually a lot of prep for Biology in Middle school.

I think I would focus a lot more on making sure his math, reading, and writing skills were strong.  I would also really focus on learning good time management and study skills because those are a huge change in high school (at least they were for my DS).

• Like 1

One thing that you might want to check on is what kind of biology they do in middle school and in high school. In some places, middle school biology is more 'organismal' - it's where they do dissection. High school might be mostly molecular biology or, in some places, environmental science. They don't follow a sequence, so you wouldn't need middle school to prep for high school, but they cover completely different material. Of course, if you're fine with skipping the middle school topics, then it doesn't matter.

Wanted to pop in and say to be sure to check if he can earn credits for homeschool high school if he does decide to go to ps later (after 9th grade).  My son wanted to transfer in 10th, and we were told he wouldn't receive credits for homeschool courses unless they were from accredited online schools.

• Like 1

Wanted to pop in and say to be sure to check if he can earn credits for homeschool high school if he does decide to go to ps later (after 9th grade).  My son wanted to transfer in 10th, and we were told he wouldn't receive credits for homeschool courses unless they were from accredited online schools.

He can't. That is not even an option here unless you pay for something like Texas Tech or UT Austin high school and follow their curriculum and rules and pay their fees. My children are told to either go in 9th to public school or plan on being home for all of high school. But I will not pay thousands of dollars and do the work following some cheesy public school program just to ensure they can go later. I even offered for each one to allow them to enroll at public school for just one day so they can do Connections or K12 the next year, but so far, they say no.

Son has a friend who will be attending the local high school in 9th. That child goes to the local middle school now and hates it. Son went to public school in the past and hated it. Because of this, it seems unlikely that he will go to public school. 

But no, our public schools will never allow a home schooler to bring in credits. And I have already decided that I will not pay for and follow a public school curriculum at home in case they change their minds. They just have to live with their decisions.

If he's really never had any biology at all, I think I might do something about biology. What do you mean when you say that? I don't think kids need a lot to go into high school sciences - they really do start at the beginning. You get a leg up from knowing the basics - but most smart kids who have been exposed to the world have absorbed the basics - cells, body systems, etc. etc.

In terms of the AP exam, I think it's really about the writing, reading, and general social studies knowledge, not about having done a geography class previously. If you're doing a good program for history, you've gotten the general knowledge stuff, so I would change that for that reason.

In general, public schools do a lot more US history. If he's never had any, that's something to think about. But if you're going into year three and doing it the WTMish way, then this is the most US history intense year anyway. Beefing up the US history piece shouldn't necessarily be that hard.