Menu

What's for lunch?

Moonhawk

My kids get up late in the summer so we do a lot of "brunch" - eggs, bacon, Canadian bacon, bacon/egg/cheese sandwiches, omelets.  My youngest also loves mac and cheese so he makes that often.  We also grill hamburgers outside because they are quick and easy (I get frozen Costco burgers or Bubba Burgers from grocery store).  English muffin pizzas are a big thing here too.

• Like 1

Disabled dd and I just had scrambled eggs plus sourdough toast for me. I've also been eating fresh-picked blueberries off the counter as they lie there drying. My picky eater made herself little ham sandwiches--Hawaiian rolls, grated mozzarella, deli ham, more cheese on top, then heat in the microwave. It is nice when they can feed themselves, especially if they're picky!

• Like 1

I make a salad almost every day. Sometimes it's lettuce based, sometimes veggies or beans or a slaw with protein. In summer I'll do gazpacho or cucumber or avocado soups. Yesterday I made a layered dip with smashed black beans, avocado, Greek yogurt, salsa and a little shredded cheese and ate it with blue corn chips.

• Like 1

My kids like quesadillas. I keep mini-pizza crusts in the freezer (make a bunch on Saturday and freeze) and we'll have pizzas once a week. And we have sandwiches, too. Since I am trying hard to be low-carb I eat lots of salads. Today I quartered a beautiful vine ripened tomatoe, put salt, pepper and a little Italian dressing on it and then plopped some chicken salad in the middle of it. It's yummy.

• Like 1

I just made this and it was a success. I'll definitely do it again but cook it 5 minutes less. I actually prepped it yesterday and just baked it today. It could be dinner if you add some rice and beans. It's great if you bought the costco thing of bell peppers and need to use them. Thought I'd share because it was so quick and easy. Prep it when you have time and pop it in the oven 30 minutes before you want to eat.

Easy oven fajitas:

https://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/02/oven-fajitas/

• Like 1

I wish I had the time and self-organization to make lunch (and all meals, really) more of a thing.  We forage for lunch.  I make dinner.  It is never fancy, or particularly ritualistic, and I wish it were.  Not the season, I guess.

I am having one of those McDougall cup of soup things (the tortilla one) with added avocado and a cream soda.  Kids have settled on bananas, corn chips and bean dip.  I might talk one of them into the other half of the avocado.  

eta: they discovered the blueberries and are having those too.

Edited by eternalsummer
  • Like 1